Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Derotational Osteotomy + TTT - 10/20/2009  (Read 121486 times)

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 24
  • How 'bout them Cowboys!
    • Derotation osteotomy & TTT Post-op diary
Re: Derotational Osteotomy + TTT - 10/20/2009
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2009, 07:21:53 PM »
Well, 3.5 days till I go under the knife...and saw...and drill...and...um ok I'll stop.

I'm feeling my anxiety level spike even more now. Still not to the gut-wrenching fear I was experiencing before the Fulkerson--I really think that was just my gut telling me there was more to investigate--but definitely elevated to the point where I'm having a physical reaction. My stomach is a bit knotty and occasionally I get the chills. But no where near a full-on anxiety attack thank goodness. I'm not really the full-on freak out type of person, so my strong reaction before the "almost fulkerson" surprised even me.

I feel like I did when I was a kid, when I knew I did something wrong and when I got home my mom was gonna give it to me. Its like that feeeling of impending doom, LOL.

But things will be good, in fact they will be great!

I'm leaving on Monday for the operation on Tuesday 10/20. Leaving TX the following week. My mom is going with me. My husband just started a new job and hasn't accrued the days to take off. I'm looking forward to spending the weekend with him, plus my family will visit on Sunday, and hubby and I are hanging out with some friends tonight. Not exactly partying it up, but that's ok, the last time I partied it up before a big event, well let's just say it was like being back in college except I'm not college-age recovery material anymore, LOL. I'll settle for taking it easy and reminding myself that I'm no spring chicken anymore. LOL.

PS: I didn't pick up on the burgundy & gold at first, but since you pointed it out, I have to say...

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How bout 'dem cowboys!

Which is funny and sad and bittersweet because I'm oging to be so close to the new stadium and likely won't get to see it unless I can somehow con my mom into taking me before we leave. Likely will not be an easy feat to accomplish. Maybe doc is a cowboy fan and will have pity and tell my mom it's ok. Not likely though, he's a NYer he's probably a fan of the G-men, who also get a BOOOOOOOO. I won't hold it against him though, since he will be the one holding the knife....and saw...and drill...and you get the point...against me.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 07:25:17 PM by crankerchick »
Mar '07 - plica excision
Oct '09 - femoral + tibial derotational osteotomy & TTT
Aug '10 - hardware removal
"You control your leg. Don't let it control you." -Smart trainer
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2009, 07:26:34 PM »
Oh yeah, cute doggy pic. I love those pics. Is it from icanhazcheesburger.com ? I love that site but haven't visited in a while. Ah, so much free time coming up, I'll be able to catch up...and up...and up.
Mar '07 - plica excision
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline WorkinWings

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • Fixed my failed lateral release: back to flying!
    • Failed lateral release: medial subluxation of the patella
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2009, 08:19:59 PM »
Dear cranker,

Please forgive my faux pas with the burgundy and gold -- I might have taken one glance at your avatar before assuming geographical loyalty on your part!!

I hope this will help make up for my major DUH! moment:

There! That better, now?  ;)

Funny thing is, the Skins have been a great source of entertainment for myself for quite a while:
they've been fantastic with the comic relief!!   ;D ;D ;D

« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 09:34:29 PM by ClippedWings »
Feb'00: Twisting injury (w/"pop")
dx - bone bruise of lateral tibial plateau
Apr'00 to May'07: intermittent pain; NO instability
7/May/07: Lateral Release (which created instability)
17/Jan/08: dx - iatrogenic medial patellar subluxation s/p LR
16/Jan/09: Back to function!
[email protected]

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2009, 12:13:10 AM »
The skins provided adequate laughs for me today again. They very rarely disappoint! Losing to the chiefs, not even scoring a touchdown! LOL! My team sucks this year and we beat the chiefs, LOL. I just appreciate the distraction the game provided.

I'm packing all of my electronics and gadgets to take with me. It's like moving my home; I always take too much stuff when I go away from home for fear of being bored. I've got my PS3 and games and a few bluray movies, 5 netflix movies, my laptop with games, and my external hard drive with tons of movies and videos, ipod, and 2 books. I'm gonna be gone for at least 3 weeks, maybe longer, so I feel like I need everything. I'm being a good wife and leaving the wii for my husband though (actually I'm secretly nudging my mother-in-law to buy one, LOL).

The anxiety level was a little elevated this morning, but it's better now. Now that I'm so close to leaving, I'm actually better. The wait is killer.

I still keep thinking I can't believe I'm doing this, but now it's less sheer terror and a bit more anticipation of what is to come. I'll probably post one more time tomorrow night after meeting with the doctor.
Mar '07 - plica excision

Offline slmac

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2009, 10:15:19 PM »
Visualize success! Good luck with your surgery...Sandra
Knee pain and issues during HS...played tennis
7/30/09 dislocations began
9/18/09 TTT (Fulkerson Osteotomy), MPFL Repair, and arthroscopic debridement
12/29/10 hardware removal
8/12 dislocations started
9/11/12 MPFL recon with allograft

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2009, 10:56:06 PM »
Sorry for the length, lots to say.

I had a 1pm appointment with the Doc. More xrays and going over the procedure, exactly what was being done, in what order, and by how much. We decided that I will take an anticoagulant. Then some paperwork and some more pre-op questions and a pregnancy test since my pre-op at home was done 2 weeks ago and they want the test within the last week.

One funny thing is when I saw my doc last time in Houston, he had the scrubs on, and on a lot of the videos on youtube and on his website, he's wearing the suit with the cufflinks and bow-tie and the like. But today, he comes out in jeans, cowboy boots, and a cowboy hat. It was quite funny really, very much a light moment to an otherwise somewhat stressful day.

I'm to report 1st thing tomorrow at 6:30 for 7:30 surgery. It's going to be about 3 hours. Room was left on the surgical schedule to do an arthroscopy at the end, although my doc thinks that my scope 2 years ago was done fine (it indicated no problems) and my MRI doesn't indicate any torn ligaments or anything that would need to be fixed.

The hotel here is really nice. I got a handicapped room so there is a shower head on a hose and a shower seat, as well as a large bathroom. The 37" flatscreen is right up my alley, so I'll be hooking up my ps3 and getting the room ready for when I come back after the surgery.

Oh I also learned that I'm gonna have the plasma rich platelets, so that's cool.

My mom started to lose it when hearing all that was going to be done, so that started to get to me. Its pretty hard to keep it together when you know your parent is worrying about you. She was in the room with me while going through all of the consent forms, so she got to witness going through all the stated risks and complications and the like, so that definitely didn't help either. Once we were done and chatted some, I got a little choked up. It's such an emotional journey; I'm so looking forward to getting off this rollercoaster.

I still can't believe I need to have all of this done to fix my little old kneecap that likes to go on vacation every now and then. Its pretty scary, but I'm here, I want to be better, and I know this will work out for me in the end, so bring it on!

While the nurse was going through the consent forms, the doc kept coming in the room to give his take on certain things. He's a talker. It was funny, he would come in with his anectotes and the like. So one of the times was relating to what would happen in the event of a blood transfusion, so Doc comes and gives his opinion of the likelihood of such an event occuring and adds that at the worse, my blood might be a little low, and then he would just feed me some liver. So when I went for my family history on pre-op, when they asked if there are any foods I can't/won't eat, I specifically noted LIVER!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 10:59:10 PM by crankerchick »
Mar '07 - plica excision

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2009, 11:03:55 PM »
I forgot to add, we didn't finish up till 4 and last tour at the stadium is at 4:30, so no way we could have made it down there today :-(

And Doc is a cowboy fan, HOORAY, but still not sympathetic to my cause. So, *sigh* I won't see the new stadium on this trip to TX.  :'(
Mar '07 - plica excision

drmark

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2009, 03:42:53 AM »
Instead of peanut butter and jelly, I grew up on chopped liver.  If my Mother was alive, you would like hers.

Offline fraud_ninja

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2009, 03:26:25 PM »
Good luck today...although you are already in surgery.

And, I am pretty sure that liver is gross no matter how or who cooks it.  I'll stick with tofu burgers and the like.  ;D

Brianne
12/26/02 LR R
10/26/06 TTT R
1/25/07 TTT L
12/17/07 TTT revision, MPFL recon R
2/7/08 TTT revision, MPFL recon L
3/24/08 screw removal R
4/30/08 screw removal L

Knees are fixed, training for a triathalon.

9/21/09- Right ankle reconstruction

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2009, 10:54:01 PM »
Oct 20, 2009
Day 0
I would like to thank everyone for the well wishes.

I'm of course out of surgery now. It took a bit longer than originally expected. The doc said it took a bit longer to transport me from table to table (different table for femur and tibia). We didn't not do the arthroscopy. We ended up doing my femur 22 and my tibia. My patellas brought down 16mm.

They wheeled me out of the outpatient waiting aroomd 7:30, right on team. I said bye to mom, who I think held up really well. I, however, started to get emotional while they were wheeling me to the OR. I started crying. The anesthesiology joked with me while walking and then just gave me the sleepy medicine and that's all she wrote.

I woke up the recovery room to a very nice nurse who was tking my vitals and feeding me ice chips. Dr. Sanders came in told me how everything went and then did the cannonball stretch right away.

At some point after that I was wheeled to my room where my mom waiting for me.

The staff has been great so far. PT has been in twice (once every hour) to do my cannon ball. On the first visit, we got up on the crutches and took a few steps. I was a bit weak though, so we didn't do much.

Then I was able to eat, just liquid foot of jello, sorbet, juice, tea and water. They said as long as I keep that down, I can have reall food for dinner.

Doc just left my room again to check on me. His day is done, but he said to call him if I have problems, otherwise he would talk to me tomorrow.

I'm pretty tired, falling asleep writing this.

My pain level isn't bad at all, lyin gstill that is. THe cannonballs suprisingly don't hurt. Its the straightening back to normal after having bent. My femur just mostly feels like I fell on it. The tibia/shin hurts more than the femur, but so ffar not terrible.

I think that is all. My eyes are drooping. I probably have another 30 minutes before P/T comes back so its nappy time.

Mar '07 - plica excision

Offline slmac

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2009, 11:17:08 PM »
Wow, you did great typing that! I was on another planet after my surgery...good job. So glad you came through it well.  If you get really naseous there is this little patch that they can give you that goes behind your ear and it will totally take care of it. I loved that thing the day after my surgery. I was super naseous on day two. Good luck with everything.

I find it fascinating how all of the doctors we go to have different approaches to these surgeries and how to recover. It sounds like you're doing great already. Don't push yourself too hard, remember your body needs to rest right now. I didn't get enough rest at the beginning and it came back to haunt me later. Keep us all posted!
Knee pain and issues during HS...played tennis
7/30/09 dislocations began
9/18/09 TTT (Fulkerson Osteotomy), MPFL Repair, and arthroscopic debridement
12/29/10 hardware removal
8/12 dislocations started
9/11/12 MPFL recon with allograft

Offline cat

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2009, 12:49:06 AM »
Hey Gal!
How are you doing? Can you tell a difference yet?   ;) My doc actually asked me that the day after. Apparently some folks do notice improvement right away. Anyhoo, hope you have a speedy recovery with an awesome outcome,
 ;D cat  ;D

PS,
Regarding the Chiefs, surely you werent' mocking my boys??  :o :o

"Miserable malalignment"
 Lateral release, medial reefing, VMO advancement, and TTT-  3/2/04
Screw removal- 5/24/05
Cortisone injection to pes anserine- 7/27/05
Femoral derotation osteotomy, TTT revision- 10/18/07

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2009, 01:01:44 AM »
Its funny, because I was actually surprised that I was having trouble typing/writing. After my scope, i was disoriented but not nearly as much this go. I guess that makes sense though, I had a spinal and a much longer surgery etc. I'm fine talking, watching tv, etc, but my fingers seem to want hit different keys on the computer, not to mention as soon as i look at the screen, i starting falling asleep, LOL.

My mom said my doctor came out 3 times to update her on the status of the procedure and show her xrays after each limb. They also called her 2 or 3 times to update also.

The team here is just so great so far. I feel really comfortabe and plenty pleased.

The first trip to the bathroom was quite an ordeal, resulting in me feeling light headed. My low fat high protein dinner arrived and i chomped on that. I think I sat up too much though, because i started getting light headed again.

i don't know if things feel different. I have twinges and I feel like my foot points in a little more than it did before, but we'll see, Can't go speculatin.

Typing getting harder now, and its almot time for stretching again so untill i post again
Mar '07 - plica excision

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2009, 04:38:25 AM »
I'm not good at being good. The internet is my crack. I'm back again :-)

I just finished another round of stretching. I did the bathroom again too and took percocet. This time went much better. Boy its exhausting just getting up and moving around, but it feels good to move and I didn't get lightheaded this time so altogether very good.

I can't see how people refuse to do the exercise and moving around. I watch the clock waiting for time to bend again. Sure its a bit painful, but its also just soo nice to move and bend and get the limbs in a different position. So far I'm liking Doc's rehab protocol. Except for maybe right after surgery when I did the cannonball the first time and he was like, "push it girl!" It really didn't hurt that much looking back, but during the time it is pretty scary to bend, just afraid it will hurt. But I'm glad I did it because it didn't hurt that much and it was very rewarding to get the flexion and have the doctor's praise.

So far I'm sticking to the prescribed 2 percocet every 4 hours because I want to stay in front of the pain. I haven't had any IV drugs though. They will wake me to take the percocet, but they will check every hour for the stretches but will not wake me if I'm asleep. So at worse I will do the stretches every 4 hours, but I plan to ask to do them when I wake up if I sleep through the scheduled time. The bending is real important, plus it feels nice to move.

So far so good. I think I'm not looking forward to hot to tomorrow, as I bet this is no different then falling down or getting in a car accident, the real pain and soreness sets in the next day. Hopefully if that is the case, the drugs will work for me :-)
Mar '07 - plica excision

Offline ORNURSE

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2009, 07:36:56 AM »
I am very impressed with you being on the internet.  I think I will be the same way after my surgery though I love my computer.  I am glad you are doing so well and keeping up on the pain.  I read that you are on percocet.  My OS gave me an RX for dilaudid for post op pain, I think it might be a bit over kill but we will find out in four weeks, and I will be going home after surgery, no hospital stay for me.
Good luck
Kim
Oct 2005 Left knee arthroscopy/LR
Nove 19, 2009 Left knee arthroscopy-LR and partial lateral meniscectomy.  TTT-Fulkerson

support