Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Worried about Arthroscopy Tomorrow  (Read 1491 times)

Offline kepn111

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Worried about Arthroscopy Tomorrow
« on: October 07, 2009, 08:57:56 PM »
I'm finally having an arthroscopy on my knee tomorrow after almost 6 months of pain and I'm getting really nervous because there's so much riding on this. I've tried every other option, and not much showed up on the MRI that was taken back in June, so the doctor told me he doesn't know if the surgery will help. In the past, though, I had surgery on my wrist when I was still in a lot of pain after a long time and the MRI showed up normal for that, but there was a rare and significant problem in my wrist that was causing the pain. I know sometimes that MRIs don't always show everything, and the pain has also gotten much worse since it was taken. I'm just really hoping that he finds something he can fix. On top of all this, though, I'm really worried because Monday I woke up with some congestion and post nasal drip which I still have today. I'm really hoping it'll be better by morning, which will be 72 hrs from when it started, because I just can't have this postponed after waiting this long.

Here's my knee story:
Back in April, I slipped on a wet floor and fell hard straight on my left knee. That same day, I had volleyball knee pads on, and I sat back on my legs so that my knees were all the way bent and when I did this the back of the knee pad on my left knee bunched up and dug into the back of my knee, which really hurt. I'm pretty sure that at least some of my problems are due to the fall, not sure if the second injury caused any of the damage too.
I waited it out for awhile, because after the first week, the pain wasn't bad. Eventually, though, I went to my GP. She sent me for x-rays which came back normal and then sent me to an OS. Between the GP and the OS I tried 4 different prescription NSAIDs, all which did nothing. My OS had sent me for an MRI, which showed some softening of the cartilage behind the kneecap and that the kneecap looked slightly off-track, and there was a subtle tear in the medial meniscus. He sent me for PT. After 6 weeks of PT my knee was definitely a lot stronger and I could do a couple things that I couldn't before, but since the pain wasn't really any better, he discontinued it. I then tried Tramadol, but there was no difference. So the next step was the cortisone shot. The pain was much worse for a couple days after the shot, and then went back to its normal level of pain. Next, due to my mother and grandmother's urging, I tried 3 weeks of seeing a chiropractor. That didn't help either and I would often leave his office in worse pain than what I came in with. So here I am now, with the arthroscopy finally scheduled. My problems are pain throughout the knee, a separate specific pain on the inside of the knee, swelling, and grinding of my kneecap.

I'm really worried about the surgery because if it doesn't help or if he doesn't find anything he can fix, I don't know what I would do next. Plus I'm just so sick of all of this pain and I want to be gone already. I keep telling myself that there has to be something significant there, because not only has nothing helped the pain over all this time, but it has also gradually gotten worse over time. Plus I'm freaking out that this drainage in the back of my throat is going to be a problem. I can't wait for this to be done any longer, as I feel like all I've done is waited. Any reassurance would be really appreciated.

Thanks  :)

Offline Gretchen20

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Worried about Arthroscopy Tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 01:20:30 AM »
Ken,

I really understand how you are feeling. Before my surgery I just kept thinking if this doesn't help, I don't know what I'll do. I did the same stuff, I went through the PT and got the coritsone shots. I found the shots to be generally useless and also created more pain than help. I had my Fulkerson done in July. I am by no means painfree. I still have pain, because I am going through PT and having to stretch out the knee again. I just keep telling myself that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. My OS said that I should have at least a 50% decrease in the pain before the surgery. Just try to keep positive. If there is something wrong, they will see it and be able to fix it. I know its hard but, keep positive!

Offline kepn111

• Regular Poster
Re: Worried about Arthroscopy Tomorrow
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 12:45:25 AM »
Thanks so much for the encouragement, it really helped. And the surgery went well. Hopefully this is the beginning of the end.

support