Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Fat Pad  (Read 795 times)

Offline thesavage4

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Fat Pad
« on: October 06, 2009, 01:24:38 AM »
Hello --

Can anyone discuss the various problems that can occur with fat pads and, also, what can be done with them.  The OS suspects a problem with this (he is the most reputed in Montreal) and will scope out the knee later on this month.

What can I expect if he actually does find a problem with the fat pad?

Thanks a million....
ACL Sprain.  Disgruntled.

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
Re: Fat Pad
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 07:46:57 PM »
Hi There,

I had an MRI scan of my right knee back in July 2008 and the only thing that was spotted was inflammation of the fat pad with some fluid around it. The 1st prodedure I had was ultra sound treatment to try and reduce the swelling but it did not help me out. The 2nd option was to inject cortizone into the fat pad but in the end did not have it done but did end up having an injection of cortizone on the lateral side of kneecap where I feel catching and sharp pain.

Interested if you also experience catching and sharp pain on lateral side of the knee the outerside of your kneecap and get swelling at the bottom of your kneecap as I do. Fat pad syndrome can sometimes feel like a meniscus tear and can be very painful as soft tissue problems are known to be painful. Surgery is the last resort for fat pad problems as its not good to remove the fat pad and not sure if they just remove a small section of fat pad rather then the whole lot.

I was told by another KG member about this alcohol based injection that has worked for some patients with their fat pad problems. Its on trial still I think? but ment to be effective by not many OS's give this type of injection into the fat pad.

http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S0009926007002735 

It is alcohol (ethanol and analgesic bupivicaine) injected directly into the fat pad guided by ultrasound so that it is direct.   

I think I have more then a problem with my fat pad and my OS will scope my knee anytime from now onwards, waiting for surgery date but also have tracking problems in both knees.

Nick :) {2009} :)
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

support