Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ACL surgery  (Read 830 times)

Offline tmot11

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
ACL surgery
« on: October 05, 2009, 11:31:47 PM »
Which is best: ACL replacement using the cadaver ligament or your own patella tendon?

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 24
  • How 'bout them Cowboys!
    • Derotation osteotomy & TTT Post-op diary
Re: ACL surgery
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 11:52:14 PM »
Oh you have opened a can of worms here.

If i tore my ACL, based on the research I have done, I would choose my own patellar tendon, and likely from my opposite good leg because:
- I don't want to weaken my hamstring
- Bone to bone healing healing in 6 weeks
- Less trauma to the bad knee and the good knee just needs to go to the gym = concurrent recovery and faster recovery
- I don't trust my life to a place that might buy/sell cadaver's to the highest (or lowest) bidder
- I feel like the risk, however small, of rejection or disease, is still a risk and why bother when I have my own tissue at my disposal?
- My own living tissue seems safer to me then in an unknown person's dead graft that has been soaked in a chemical and irradiated and then takes time for my body to decide it's not crap and "wake it up"
- I think patellar tendonitis as a risk can be mitigated and/or eliminated if the surgery is done by a competent surgeon
- I want to follow an accelerated rehab protocol as shown by Don Shelbourne and others

There are arguments in favor of every graft and honestly, those are just my reasons for why I would chose what I would choose. It's a very personal decision and what matters is using the graft that is best for you performed by a doctor that knows what he's doing. My personal opinion is that a qualified surgeon is more important then the graft choice. In the wrong hands, no graft is a good graft, but in good hands, all of the choices can work just fine.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 11:57:42 PM by crankerchick »
Mar '07 - plica excision
Oct '09 - femoral + tibial derotational osteotomy & TTT
Aug '10 - hardware removal
"You control your leg. Don't let it control you." -Smart trainer
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 07:02:21 AM »
Simple answer - go with the option that your EXPERIENCED and trained KNEE surgeon recommends and is most practised with.

Most important find a surgeon you trust, who has years of proven experience and is on your wave-length. Also ask if they can recommend any physiotherapists as that shows they work in tandem with the people who are responsible for getting you moving after the surgeon has done their work. Many surgeons seem to think that after they've done their work, nothing more important will take place - wrong!

There's loads of back and forth here about which graft is best blah blah blah - the long and the short of it is the one that works!

You can shop around for an experienced and skilled surgeon you get along with that's all. As patients we do not have either the knowledge or understanding to tell a surgeon how to do their job. To choose a surgeon by judging their decisions seems a wee bit arrogant on the part of the patient.

Sue  ;)
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline tmot11

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 03:13:48 PM »
Thanks!

Offline heyannie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 01:49:20 PM »
I had torn my acl and medial meniscus.  When I first met my Dr., he suggested that I do patellar tendon because that is what he deals with most.  I am almost 6 weeks post op and I am not having too many problems.  I don`t think I would want to do it from my other knee because rehabbing one knee is quite enough but that is just my opinion.  I really felt patellar was my best option after researching.  But like the others said everyone is different.  It all depends on what you do and what you need to get back to doing.  I done a lot of research and watched a lot of videos on the different surgeries and also talked to a lot of people here.  It`s all going to come down to what you want and what is best for you.  Good luck with your surgery and best wishes for a speedy recovery. 

Annie

Offline johnmcc1977

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 08:35:29 PM »
I have had both and hammy graft and the patellar graft 6 days post op as I type.

This is a case of horses for courses and of course what your surgeon says is fit for you.

Presently I feel the patellar graft means my leg is stronger at this stage 6 day post op, how ever i have a stonking scar down the front of my knee. Hopefully I will proceed pain free.......

support