Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Cost of custom knee brace???  (Read 10148 times)

Offline MedicMom

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Cost of custom knee brace???
« on: October 05, 2009, 11:17:13 PM »
Hey folks....been a few weeks since I have posted but wanted to know if any of you have encountered such extensive cost when it comes to a custom knee brace.

My OS wrote me a script for a  custom brace...I can't read his writing so not sure exactly what he prescribed.  I do know that it is for patellar subluxation and something else  ( the something else is the part I can't make out on the script)

Anyway, I went to Eagle Orthopeadics this morning for my appt and was completely shocked when I was given the total cost this afternoon.

I'm sure many of you have been through the process of having a custom brace done and know it's not as simple as pulling a brace off the shelf.  The orthotist examined my knee and asked several question before deciding what kind of brace would work best and in the end decided that 2 seperate braces were what I needed.  One for the patellar subluxation and one to unload the medial side of the joint.  So what mine  will consist of is a sleeve to pull the patella to medial side of the joint and an unloader to unload the medial side of the joint.  The unloader will only have a hinge on the lateral side.

So, once she decided what it was I needed she put a cast on to  make a mold.  Cut it off and we picked the colour and talked about the cost.

She said she would call by the end of the day with my total cost and when she did I was floored.  $2570

Does this seem outrageous?  Should I be shopping around for a better price or does that seem about right?
March 09 Bilateral Early compatmental OA
March 09 Medial/Lateral Meniscal Tear of RT knee with patellofemoral chondromalacia and ligament strain.
April 09  Patella Alta RK, deficiant femoral condyle RK, laterally flattened and foreshortened patellar groove RK
Feb 3rd 2010 TTT, menisectomy

Offline blometti

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Cost of custom knee brace???
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 11:30:02 PM »
hey
I recently got a fusion unloader brace. I was lucky my insurance picked up the entire cost, but they guy said they run around 800-1000 bucks. With the amount of money you had to shell out I hope it does some tricks....

Offline Lizn8r

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 01:55:44 AM »
I just got fitted for a DonJoy Defiance custom fitted brace today ... the tech told me that if it it wasn't covered under insurance (it was ... 100%) it would run about $1500.
Sep '99: Tore left ACL (football) - misdiagnosed
Sep '99-Apr '09: Lived with pain and buckling
Apr '09: New PCP (who listened), MRI and OS consult - proper dx
May '09: LK ACL Allograft and 25% medial meniscus removal
Sep '09: Released from PT and OS ... back to things I haven't done in 10 years!

Offline Audice

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 01:04:33 PM »
I was fitted for a custom Townsend Premier brace 4 years ago at the time of my injury & although I was fortunate my insurance covered the cost, I know it was over a thousand dollars at that time.
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

Offline MedicMom

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 04:33:40 PM »
Crazy how expensive they are.  I am fortunate that our provincial health (everyone in Ontario has coverage through OHIP which is Ontario hospital insurance plan) is covering 75% of the cost.  They don't always cover things like this, I was told it depends on diagnosis. Thankfully OHIP is covering 75% of the $2570 .   We have to cover the remaining 25% which is $642.

The place that I am getting mine from is Eagle Orthopedics.  Everything is manufactored right there on the premises.  The discovery channel did a documentary on this place a while back.  This is the same place that provided all the artificial limbs for Terry Fox.  Not that that makes the knee brace worth $2570 I just thought it was a neat little bit of info to share.

http://eagleorthopaedics.com/
March 09 Medial/Lateral Meniscal Tear of RT knee with patellofemoral chondromalacia and ligament strain.
April 09  Patella Alta RK, deficiant femoral condyle RK, laterally flattened and foreshortened patellar groove RK

Offline junkie_knee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 02:36:38 AM »
I think that seems a little steep.  Mine was $1600 and I was lucky enough that my insurance picked up the total cost of the brace.  Good luck.

Diane

Offline mmrocker13

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 11:51:30 PM »
I have a custom unloader from Townsend, and mine was about that. Insurance covered 85%, I paid the rest...well worth it, IMO.
89: Pat. dislocation, lat. meniscus tear, femoral OCD lesion
89: debridement, chondroplasty, lateral partial menisectomy
02: partial lat. menisc., debride
02: mfx
09: subtotal menisc., debride, c'plasty
10: scope/debride
10: varus DFO
13: HWR
15: total menisc., debride, c'plasty, notchplasty

Offline blometti

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2009, 11:21:58 PM »
I posted a incorrect price for my brace before. I just got a playmaker? brace for my "good" knee, and my insurance put me down as out of network so they billed me for the total cost of 700. I asked them how much my other brace cost and they said the fusion unloader was 2500.00
Its insane how much these braces cost!! I cant even use the playmaker one, its to hard to take off.....

Offline MedicMom

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 07:13:57 PM »
Hi blometti.   I received my knee brace about 4 wks ago and have to say I am less then impressed.  Yeah, it fits well...but I don't notice a bit of difference with it on.  And when I do have it on my knee cap clicks laterally.  So, here I have a $2700 knee brace that I never wear and likely never will.  And not only that....after I go and get this done my family doc says that he would actually wait on getting it because until they fix the mechanics of my knee the knee brace isn't going to help.  Frustrating!!!