Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Best recovery practices for TKR?  (Read 780 times)

Offline Brooks 6-22-40

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Best recovery practices for TKR?
« on: October 05, 2009, 03:08:15 PM »
Hi,

I am in week 14 after one TKR, and some unknown number of months before second TKR.

I saw a local Doc who has great reputation for TKR with about 300 ops a year.  No complaints about his skills as a surgeon,  but, he seems to have little interest/time for the recovery process.  I have been seeing young woman who had a PhD in PT but not too much experience. Started with her on 3 day out of hospital. See her twice a week. At week 8 I also started seeing an experienced sports massage therapist who has been great help.

Have had, it seems to me, a fairly difficult and painful recovery process.  Want to do better the next time.  Can someone point me to the best information on recovering from TKR?

PS:  69 yr old male, very active ( xcountry ski, hiking, road biking)

Offline On the road again

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Best recovery practices for TKR?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 03:10:52 AM »
Hi Brooks,

I highly recommend the book "Total Knee Replacement and Rehabilitation" by Daniel Brugioni & Jeff Falkel.

I used the presurgery exercises for two months before surgery.  When the PT and her student saw me the day after surgery they were amazed that I could do a short quad arc!  I really thought they were kidding. Even in PT at the rehab facility I stayed for a week, the PTs commented on my progress. I was sure to tell them about the book. My understanding is that it is out of print. I initially ran across it in my many trips to the library--lol  It is available from many bookstores and online sites for $19.99. It is the best 20 bucks I've spent.

I am sorry that your recovery has been difficult and painful. I am hopeful the book will help you next time.

PS I am a morbidly obese 51 year old sedentary female that had tka Sept. 30, 2009.

Offline digginit

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 03:54:22 AM »
Hey, On the road again....I just had to say HI!  We're knee birthday buddies!  I had my right TKA on Sep 30, 2008.  I'm glad to be a year down the road.  Sounds like you're doing great!  Congrats!

Brooks...your surgeon doesn't have to have a lot of interest in the recovery process, imho, as long as you're hooked up with a decent PT.  Really all I worked on was SLRs and ROM.  Got on a bike early in recovery.  And didn't sit on my duff.  BUT, I think I was extremely lucky in my recovery.  I think everyone recovers from this at a unique pace.  There's nothing particular or special that ya' have to do though!  Most folks who don't put too terribly much into PT still do fine.

~dig

Offline On the road again

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 07:14:26 PM »
Hi Dig,

Happy belated TKA day!!  If I was not already booked for a cruise next October, I would have scheduled the right one for September 30 too ;D

I am still having home PT. I believe I will start outpatient PT after my doc appt on the 30th.

Is there anything that stands out in your recovery process that I should definitely do or not do?

The one thing that is a definite for me is to lose weight...I figure 50 pounds is truly doable and will help make my knee last longer. 

I am pleasantly surprized by my process. 

support