Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Meniscus, MCL or some other issue  (Read 749 times)

Offline bozza

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Meniscus, MCL or some other issue
« on: October 05, 2009, 04:04:02 AM »
In May of 2009, while playing tennis, I strained MCL (left knee) according my chiropractor. After few visits (about 5 weeks after injury) I was dismissed with a permission to play tennis again. However, after few games I re-injured and the chiropractor advise me to stop playing tennis until it is cleared what is the issue.  I was sent to do the MRI and the result stated that there is "fragmentation along the posterior horn of medial meniscus". Since the injury in June 2009 I did not get involved into any sports that can cause same injury with exception to swimming, water polo, biking and weight lifting.
Now, it has been 3 months after the injury and the knee pain decreased significantly. However,  when bending the knee all the way I feel the a bit of a pain when bent to the maximum(strangely, when I bend it again to the maximum the pain is lower to nothing). Also, when I bend the knee all the way and try to flex the "knee muscles"  there is a rather lighter pain. No pain when squatting (just I hear some light popping in knee but no pain).
I visited another chiropractor, but he neither was 100% sure. I got to see orthopedic surgeon in January of 2010 (yes, very looong wait time); an excellent surgeon who did my ACL repair back in 2003 (I am 32 years old today).
I am trying to get some advices or comments that get give me some heads up. I am very active and this "stand by" is a torture! Tennis is off for me and the ski season in Canada is coming which I hope I can enjoy.
Any help, comments, suggestions, ideas ...I would appreciate!

thanks!

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 24
  • How 'bout them Cowboys!
    • Derotation osteotomy & TTT Post-op diary
Re: Meniscus, MCL or some other issue
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 04:01:44 PM »
Well, I think a lot of the folks on here will tell you that a chiropractor has no business diagnosing knees. Whether that is true or not, remains to be seen, but your MRI indicates some meniscus fragmentation, not an MCL strain. Lots of people live with small meniscus tears, so that is a good sign for you. It sounds like you aren't experiencing any locking or significant pain so that is also good. While you wait to see your OS, it would be worth while to keep working on your flexion and full extension as well as muscle strength in your quads, calf, hamstring, glutes, adductors, abductors, etc.

Cycling is definitely a good hobby to take up as is swimming

If you want to know if its safe to play tennis or some other sport, I think that is really up to you and your pain and mental comfort levels.

Is this the same knee that had the ACL repair?
Mar '07 - plica excision
Oct '09 - femoral + tibial derotational osteotomy & TTT
Aug '10 - hardware removal
"You control your leg. Don't let it control you." -Smart trainer
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline bozza

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Meniscus, MCL or some other issue
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 07:59:58 PM »
thanks Crankerchick.
Yes, it is the same knee I had ACL repair. Back in 2002, the diagnosis of torn ACL (knee twisting at basketball game) was done by this (1st) sport Chiropracotor and indeed was confirmed by OS who recommended surgery back in 2003...Now, the description in the latest MRI shows intact for all ligaments including no issues for the repaired ACL and as you mentioned I got no locking in the knee.
I hope the pain will diminish soon completely, where I plan to get back to more "critical" sports. I do have a custom-made metal knee-brace for the left knee that I used for 1.5 years after the surgery in 2003 (omni brace). I plan to start using it again as a safe precaution. What worries me is why knee the failed? I did not have any sudden fall or twist during this tennis game ....like I had back in 2002 when ACL snapped under the pressure and force of the twist.

support