Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Chondroplasty -recovery time/results  (Read 1938 times)

Offline palmetto302

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Chondroplasty -recovery time/results
« on: October 03, 2009, 07:03:45 PM »
Hi all- new here but have had previous knee surgeries-acl allograft 9 years ago and microfracture 5 years ago. Have done well since then until 3 months ago. Started having tightness/pain but no swelling. I am a cyclist and that doesn't bother the knee much. Pain has increased substantially past month. Did cortisone injection-have done Synvisc before but not recently. X-rays and MRI manly show continuing degenerative changes and grade III lesions in trochlear groove/patella.Bone spurs on edges etc. All that is not a surprise but pain level is. Have been doing PT but no relief. On drugs and can't stay on them forever. OS says should do chrondoplasty now but am very close to needing TKR-age 54. I know the drill but wonder if I should just go ahead and do the TKR if that is inevitable. What should rehab time from chrondoplasty be? Thanks! James

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 24
  • How 'bout them Cowboys!
    • Derotation osteotomy & TTT Post-op diary
Re: Chondroplasty -recovery time/results
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 09:16:48 PM »
Hi welcome to the forum :-)

This isn't my area of experience at all, but after hanging out for a while and reading up on a lot of things besides my own problem (out of sheer interest), I have to say that one thing I've seen with consistency is that chrondroplasty in the patellofemoral compartment is not really considered to be all that successful at eliminating problems. I think it's close to what your doctor is saying without saying--it's something to delay the TKR for a few years. You should verify my claim yourself of course, because I could be way off, but I think that is what I have read the few times I looked up chondroplasty (my friend had one 2 weeks ago, and that piqued my interest).

Good luck. I'm sure the more helpful replies will start coming in soon.
Mar '07 - plica excision
Oct '09 - femoral + tibial derotational osteotomy & TTT
Aug '10 - hardware removal
"You control your leg. Don't let it control you." -Smart trainer
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline lady

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • live well laugh often love much and play hard
Re: Chondroplasty -recovery time/results
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 09:36:44 PM »
I had chonroplasty  and a partical lateral menisectomy about 4 years ago. I went to PT 3 days after surgery for about 2 months. I think I got about 5 to 6 months of relief. I was on crutches for about 10 days  but I had exessive swelling and doc wanted me staying on them.  I had surgery 2 days before Xmas and I hosted about 30 people and my husband was working. Bad idea. I suggest you take it easy for at least a week after surgery. Don't host any parties!

I'm not sure if the reason my surgery relief was so short because I had a  partical menisectomy. I have heard from others who have had chondroplasty saying the relief bearly lasts a year. That being said when I had mine done I had no other choice because it was such a mess in there. I had held of for quite awhile before doing it and I'm holding off now as well.

Another thought is I'm very active and that could also be part of the issue with the amount of time I had relief. I enjoy hiking and trail walking so the uneveness can also be affecting the out come I stared trail walking in about 4 months after and I don't think that was a smart idea.  

I suggest PT and following docs suggestions on limits of activity. Good luck, I hope I helped. Not sure how much I did.
dislocated patella and chopped off most of chondal 1985
chondroplasty/medial meniscus repair 1996
ACI  quater size defect-surgery failure
lateral meniscus repair2002
chondroplasty, lateral Meniscectomy2006
synvisc & orthovisc injections 2008/2009
drained and cortizone injection 2008

support