Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Based on MRI, should I see ortho?  (Read 745 times)

Offline mrinewbie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Based on MRI, should I see ortho?
« on: October 02, 2009, 12:53:55 AM »
My knee injury happened seven weeks ago when this 69-year-old woman built 60-feet of five-foot-tall cedar fence on a slope. Within a week I started a six-week trip and then found it difficult ascending/descending stairs, driving and sitting with my leg bent and had to climb stairs one at a time. However, the pain has now lessened appreciably, as has the swelling (due to subsequent rest and liberal use of ice), but my General Physician suggested a MRI when I returned home just to be certain no meniscal tear existed--and, thankfully, the MRI shows no definite tear. It does show the following:

"Mild chonral thinning of cartilage; minimal edema along medial collateral MCL ligament consistent with mild sprain, and medial capsule also appears sprained. LCL/posterolateral complex with mild edema involving iliotibial band consistent with mild strain; remainder of LCL intact. ACL is normal. Effusion of large joint with lateral plica. Moderate chondromalacia of the patella."

Based on this report, the patient cancelled her appointment next week with the orthopedist with the concurrence of her General Physician. Patient also plans to continue anti-inflammatory over-the-counter medication and elevating her leg when possible, since sitting with leg bent results in mild swelling to outside of right knee, as well as throbbing of vein running down calf. She also plans to resume walking exercise gradually unless pain increases and is anxious to build more fence some time this winter when that seems advisable (if ever for a lady her age).  ;D

Are the patient's conclusions correct? Should she be doing anything else? (In no way do I want to jeopardize my long-term health by continuing to pretend that I'm still 25 years old, but it's hard to do, as I'm certain many of you understand.)

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
Re: Based on MRI, should I see ortho?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 07:50:25 PM »
I think you concluded right.  Just get back to things slowly and let the strains heal.  Your knee WILL tell you when it has had enough.  Good luck with the rest of the fence.
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline mrinewbie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 07:40:09 AM »
Thank you for taking the time to reply. It's appreciated.

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 05:28:03 PM »
No problem.  You can always get another appointment if things get worse.
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 12:06:01 PM »
Hi there,

Personally I would go and see an orthopaedist just to make sure everything is ok. MRIs don't show everything and GPs do not often know what they are doing when it comes down to musculoskeletal problems.

Good luck !!!
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair
22/05/08 - LK Trochleoplasty
11/02/10 - RK Trochleoplasty
07/03/11 - RK Chrondroplasty