Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: RePatella OA and pain levels  (Read 575 times)

Offline mellman

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
RePatella OA and pain levels
« on: September 28, 2009, 03:02:36 PM »
Over view of my osteoarthritis
I was diagnosed with advanced OA of both patellas, since then I have had bouts or flare upís of really terrible pain, this has drastically affected all aspects of my life.
I have had real problems dealing with these flare ups. Itís been 18 moths post op and things have now settled into a repeating cycle where I have a few weeks or so of manageable pain and discomfort that is normally followed by severe flare ups that make even standing unbearable for more than a minute or so. These can last a week or so before it calms down again.

My problem.
My works Doctor has been monitoring me at 3 monthly intervals but last time I saw him he commented that he canít understand why I am so much pain even though he has registered me as disabled with my line management and human resources manger.

My question
Is this are high levels of pain to be expected with OA of the patella? I know each person is different but I feel like he has accused me of over blowing my symptoms out of proportion which I am not, I feel totally worn out dealing with it and him.

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
Re: RePatella OA and pain levels
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 05:37:54 PM »
I would like to give you some peace of mind.  Isolated patella OA can hurt more than anything else I have even delt with.  I recently had a patella femoral joint replacement (PFJR) and am nearly pain free.  The only pain left is from weakened muscles and the last of the surgery trama.  I can tell you it does hurt more than anyone thinks it should.  I had gone from very strong narcotics every 4 hours to amost nothing.  It is still early on as the surgery was in Aug., but I feel more like myself than I have for the past few years.  No more bone pain to deal with.  I also understand how hard it is when everything you do can start a flare going.  I would look for a doc that has done a lot with patella femoral problems and see what he/she says.

Good luck.
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline mellman

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 02:49:15 PM »
Thanks very much for the reply, the problem is he is my works Doc and seems to blow hot and cold I'm sure he's playing some sort of game as on one hand he's registered me as disabled yet now is asking why I should have severe pain with advanced patella OA?, my reply was that I haven't a clue all I know is it is far more painful than gout which I have also had in the past, when I mentioned this he then asked me how painful gout is?,  you couldn't make it up!. ::)

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 05:32:19 PM »
Wow!  Makes you wonder about some docs doesn't it?  When they ask stupid quetions like that I want to find my hammer and let them see how much a bad knee hurts!  Can you get another opinion or are you stuck with this doc?
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

support