Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Where do I go?  (Read 1517 times)

Offline soozles

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
    • PCL recovery blog
Where do I go?
« on: September 28, 2009, 03:49:48 AM »
So long story short, I messed up my knee a few years ago, but it hadn't been too bad for some time, after PT and all that jazz. Well, on Saturday, I like a wonderful klutz, took a nice trip and ended up causing my bad knee to bend in a way I don't think they were made to bend. I wasn't able to walk on it, and even today, I can't stretch it out fully either. I didn't want to go to the emergency room today, because I don't feel like it's an emergency. Then again, I won't go to the ER unless it's something severe like my arm hanging off or something. Tomorrow is a Jewish holiday, so my orthopedist that I saw years ago, and the only one I know of in the area, will be closed. I was thinking worse comes to worse, I can go to the urgent care place, but I'm not even sure if they could do anything for me there. I know the urgent care has x-rays on site, but I don't think anything is broken. Do you wise people think it might be worth heading to urgent care tomorrow if I still can't straighten out my leg? At least until I can get to see my OS? I don't think I'd get an appointment with him straight away anyway.

I just don't want to go to urgent care if it turns out there isn't much they can do, and then I would have wasted money on a copay when they didn't even do anything, although my urgent care copay is a lot less than my ER copay.
May 2005: Torn PCL, misdiagnosed as chondromalacia
April 2010: pain worse, lots of instability
Nov. 23, 2010: PCL reconstruction
progress here: http://pclrecovery.blogspot.com/

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
Re: Where do I go?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 01:13:01 PM »
Wait for your doctor's office to open. Urgent care won't do anything for you.

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 24
  • How 'bout them Cowboys!
    • Derotation osteotomy & TTT Post-op diary
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 02:02:54 PM »
I wouldn't bother with urgent care either at this point. I would RICE (rest ice compress elevate) and take some advil/motrin/aleve and gently work on range of motion by stretching, heel slides, cannonball stretches, etc. When elevating your leg, make sure to get it up above the heart and keep the pillows under your calf so that there is only air under your knee. This will help with your extension (straightening your leg). If it is uncomfortable, try to do it for as long as you can stand and then lay off. That is what I would do if it were me. My past with my knee bending in a way it shouldn't (usually while turning around) has shown me there is no need for me to go to the ER or urgent care, as mostly they put me in a straight leg brace (which is bad for ROM but good if the knee needs to be immobilized) and then tell me the stuff I just told you above.
Mar '07 - plica excision
Oct '09 - femoral + tibial derotational osteotomy & TTT
Aug '10 - hardware removal
"You control your leg. Don't let it control you." -Smart trainer
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline soozles

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
    • PCL recovery blog
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 02:43:14 PM »
I figured there wouldn't be a point really either, but it's getting to the point where I can't take it anymore. But I didn't think they really would do much, I've been going through the RICE, and trying to stretch (I usually stretch every day anyway), but there's so much pain when I try, that I don't really push too hard. It feels very unstable though, which is what worries me, when I try to walk, it gives out and collapses. But I also thought that urgent care wouldn't be able to do much at this point, just figured I would ask and see what other people thought.
May 2005: Torn PCL, misdiagnosed as chondromalacia
April 2010: pain worse, lots of instability
Nov. 23, 2010: PCL reconstruction
progress here: http://pclrecovery.blogspot.com/