Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: I'm finally on the other side!!!  (Read 12483 times)

Offline BubbasMom

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
I'm finally on the other side!!!
« on: September 22, 2009, 08:31:58 PM »
So far everything has gone super smooth.  Having some nausea now and I'm having a wicked hot flash.....Incision is not that long which surprises me.   Am itching like crazy from the morphine in the spinal...holy crap!!!

Later

Diane
10/08
R Partial medial menisectomy
Debridement
Loose body removal
03/09
Osteophyte removal
06/09
Hyalgan injections
09/22/09
Right TKR

SMILE.....it makes people wonder what you are up to.

Offline Rhiannon

• Forum Faithful
Re: I'm finally on the other side!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 11:50:32 AM »
Good morning and Happy-New-Knee, Diane!

It's great news, that everything went smoothly!  It sounds as though your pain is being well-controlled.  You said that your incision was smaller than you expected.  Did you have the minimally-invasive-technique?  (I apologize if you already mentioned this and I have forgotten).

How's your nausea and hot flash(es)?  Are those from the pain meds?

Regarding the itching---might the docs/nurses be willing to give you a wee dose of antihistamine for that?

Best wishes,

Rhiannon
---Be nice to your knees.  You'll miss them when they're gone.
---Proud owner of two new knees, 1/4/10

Offline BubbasMom

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 01:10:13 PM »
Hi Rhiannon!

The nausea is pretty well gone...just ordered breakfast....hope it stays down...I had no gut sounds at all so that is the cause for the nausea.

The incision is only about 8 inches but it was a traditional replacement.  I have fat legs so I was prepared for a larger incision.  The itching is from the morphine and Benedryl has not even touched it.  Basically when the morphine wears off the itching will go away.

Now just waiting for
PT to come so I can get up and put some normal clothes on..WOO HOO

Diane
10/08
Debridement
Loose body removal
03/09
Osteophyte removal
06/09
Hyalgan injections
09/22/09
Right TKR

Offline Rhiannon

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 12:34:37 AM »
Hey there Diane:

Wow, it sure does sound as though you're coming along very well!  This is just your 2d day post-op, right? 

Bleahhh to the decreased gut motility and nausea, but I hope it passes quickly.  Do you think that's a side effect of the morphine, like the itching?  So sorry that the Benadryl isn't helping with the itching---drat.

Wayyyyy cool about your incision being smaller/shorter than you thought it would have to be!

So, how're you liking your normal clothes, LOL?  Have you been allowed to take a few steps out of bed, yet?

Bestest,

Rhiannon

Offline BubbasMom

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 01:52:51 PM »
Hey Rhiannon,

The gut motiliy is just from the trauma of surgery.  The first system to be shut down in times of stress is the digestive.  Itching is gone  thank God. 
10/08
Debridement
Loose body removal
03/09
Osteophyte removal
06/09
Hyalgan injections
09/22/09
Right TKR

Offline Rhiannon

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 01:04:14 AM »
Hey Diane:

Glad the itching is gone, and hope your GI tract is improving, too.  How's the knee feeling? 

Here's some good news---we are both now listed as official "Mini-Geeks" on this website, LOL!

;D Rhiannon

Offline BubbasMom

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 01:15:47 AM »
Woo hoo!

The knee is very stiff....especially the hammies....but then this knee has not fully extended in over a year.   The GI issues are gone.....the itchies are gone......It is really scary how good it feels.  I get out tomorrow and start formal PT on Monday.  So far I am sooooo happy I did this.  You know how some people say the new knee feels weird?   IT just feels like my knee only not painful.  I can't wait to talk to the surgeon and find out how things really went....well besides really well......I want details.  I do get tired very easily but that's OK.  Only have 15 staples and he used glue on the incision too.  The scar looks like it will be nice and straight.   Going to sleep without the CPM tonight...what a pain in the arse.  I need to sleep on my tummy so no CPM, the thing keeps shutting off anyway...haven't used it during the day.
Can't wait to get home to a decent internet connection.....haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Diane
RTKR
09-22-09
10/08
Debridement
Loose body removal
03/09
Osteophyte removal
06/09
Hyalgan injections
09/22/09
Right TKR

Offline Rhiannon

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 01:01:34 PM »
Mornin' Diane:

WOW and I mean WOW  ;D  ;D  with regard to how well you're feeling and doing, and that you'll be discharged from the hospital tomorrow!!!  Yeeehaaa!!!   ;D

I guess the hamstring soreness is to be expected, from what you described.  I'll bet your PT-ist will be "all over that", once you start that formal PT on Monday.  I "hear" you with regard to your wanting to speak with your surgeon, directly.  Will you have a chance to do that before you are discharged? 

What a nice "bonus" that your incision is looking good (cosmetically speaking), too,  ;) .

Keep up the great work, Diane, and yes, "there's no place like home" for just about everything, including the Internet!

Yours-in-Micro-Knee-Geekness,

Rhiannon

Offline BubbasMom

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 02:10:29 PM »
Hey Rhiannon!

I'm guessing I probably won't see my actual surgeon until staple removal on the 8th.  His resident has been in every morning and did next to nothing.  I stood in the shower and let the hot water hit the back of my knee....felt great.  Now just waiting.....got to go...

Yours in mini geekness

Diane
10/08
Debridement
Loose body removal
03/09
Osteophyte removal
06/09
Hyalgan injections
09/22/09
Right TKR

Offline debbieo

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Able to will brain energy into muscles and limbs
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2009, 02:37:04 PM »
Hey Diane!
Sounds like you are doing great!! Lucky lucky you--first goals reached--your out alive!!!!!
My kew knee feels like your discription--it feels like my knee only not painful.  I do have some tissue pain -but I dont think I have the bone pain --from what I knew of bone pain -before the surgery.
Ask your Pt in the hospital about stretch for hamstring. You can start now. I guess without full extension for a year that hammie will need a little persuasion to get to wake up-life's Ok.
I have become a professional wrapper with press and seal --to extend my time in the shower.  When your home, alcohol will help remove the betadine. Made me feel dirty to see myself yellow.  I could put peroxide on my incision so after a week I was dabbing with a q-tip removing dried goo-uck.
MMM 15 staples--I had quad sparing and came out with 19--never thought to count till you mentioned the number.
So let us hear from you after settling in!!
debbieo
tkr 9.14.09  tibia fracture 04
As Lovely as Aphrodite—as Wise as Athena and the strength of Hercules—she is known only as Wonder Woman, but who she is, or whence she came, nobody knows!  
I WILL NOT BE DEFINED BY WHAT I CAN NOT DO!
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=48797.0

Offline BubbasMom

• Regular Poster
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2009, 09:38:53 PM »
Hey Debbie!
Almost all the pain I am feeling is soft tissue pain. I can deal with that.   I scrubbed in the shower this morning and got most of the betadine off.  I have been doing hammie stretches every chance I get.  I was able to sleep on my stomach last night..yeay...they don't want anything on the incision until the staples come out...the superglue makes it look horrible.

I was really surprised at the size of the incision....he made it clear that as long as he got the alignment perfect he did not care how big the incision was...so I was expecting a big one.

I'm thinking he might have done a modified quad sparing of some sort...I'll find out the details the 8th.  I won't complain that's for sure.

Diane
10/08
Debridement
Loose body removal
03/09
Osteophyte removal
06/09
Hyalgan injections
09/22/09
Right TKR

Offline Rhiannon

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2009, 01:09:23 PM »
Good morning Debbie and Diane:

Diane, are you back home yet?  How ya feelin'?  Sorry to hear that you won't get a chance to speak with your surgeon 'til the 8th---bummer.  I'll be curious to know what he has to say about how your procedure went---though from what you've posted, it sounds as though everything has really gone GREAT!  Let us know how your PT session goes on Monday.  In the meantime, will you continue to use the continuous-motion-machine?

DebbieO---sounds like you're doing really well, too.  Tell me about "Press-n-Seal".  Is that the same thing as Tegaderm?  How's the PT going?  Are you still using the continuous-motion-machine too?  (I'm starting to forget who is doing exactly what, LOLOL)!

Many thanks to both of you for sharing your experience(s).

Best wishes,

Rhiannon

Offline BubbasMom

• Regular Poster
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2009, 02:09:27 PM »
Hi Rhiannon,

I quit using the CPM thursday.....what a pain...I have VERY short legs and the CPM is not designed for stubby legs....I felt like I was giving birth to the thing.  I am home....slept for a good 6 hours last night WOO HOO.   Everything is starting to hurt....I feel like I got hit by a truck.  Think I'm going to be lazy today....I'll shower and stuff tomorrow.  The only thing I am using is the ice machine....which I don't think is doing much but it feels nice.....Nap time....LOL

Tootles

Diane
10/08
Debridement
Loose body removal
03/09
Osteophyte removal
06/09
Hyalgan injections
09/22/09
Right TKR

Offline Rhiannon

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2009, 12:09:13 PM »
Hey there Diane:

It must feel great to be home!  I'm glad you were able to get a good night's sleep.  I'll bet that the PT-ist can help you with the generalized "hit-by-a-truck" symptoms, as well as all the stuff that is specific to the knee.  Until then, enjoy your ice machine and "lazy day"----you earned it!

;D  ;D Rhiannon

Offline debbieo

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Able to will brain energy into muscles and limbs
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2009, 01:02:10 AM »
Diane
Did you enjoy your lazy day at home -sweet-home?
When do you start PT? Is it at home or out?
Yep that ice machine is working --helps keeps that swelling down--wonder what it would be like without it? Remember keep that leg up and no pillow behind the knee for propping. Thats the hardest for me.
I've been sleeping with a big cushy pillow between my legs on my side. Last few nights I found my self on my back with the pillow between my knees.  I have no idea how it got there. 
So threw the lovely lovely squishy pillow out and now sleeping with a stingy little pregnancy wedge between my knees. oh well.
Today hubby and I went mall walking again. Practicing heel toe heel toe and remembering extension. Extension is the hard part. Not just kinda going up on that toe and coming all the way down .
Extension is my private little worry not rom  :-\
Will you be at home alone. I really enjoyed that first day alone. Only child syndrome :)
Rhiannon--I have no idea about tagaderm but press and seal is another form of cling wrap--saran wrap. I used saran wrap to wrap up in for my first surgery. --But those days are almost over--staples out Wednesday.
debbieo
tkr 9.14.09  tibia fracture 04
As Lovely as Aphrodite—as Wise as Athena and the strength of Hercules—she is known only as Wonder Woman, but who she is, or whence she came, nobody knows!  
I WILL NOT BE DEFINED BY WHAT I CAN NOT DO!
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=48797.0

support