Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Unusual knee problem  (Read 1012 times)

Offline Jonathan TKD

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Unusual knee problem
« on: September 22, 2009, 08:10:14 PM »
Hi,

I have an unusual knee problem. I'm a martial artist and flexibility is very important to me, but my knees are limiting my progress in certain areas. If I try to stretch for a side split, the pain in my knees (I'll describe it shortly) prevents me before any stretch is felt. Similarly, if I sit on the floor and spread my legs back (think v-shape), then try to lean forward, the pain comes back. High kicks can sometimes trigger it also, in positions my fellow students have no trouble with.

Cycling up steep hills also causes pain - not quite the same, but more than average. The stretching pain is on the outside of my knee - IT band area - though I can't see it being the IT band as a side split doesn't apply any stretch in that area. It feels like a tightness, a pulling sensation, though a great deal more sharp than the kind I would associate with stretching.

The only thing I can think of as a possible factor is that when I was a kid, I would sit in this horrendous way that I can't get anywhere near anymore without pain (I tried as an experiment, very briefly). Imagine kneeling on the floor, then rotating your bent legs 90 degrees outwards so they are horizontal.

If anyone has any theories whatsoever or would like any other information, please do not hesitate to post.

Thanks, Jonathan.

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 25
  • How 'bout them Cowboys!
    • Derotation osteotomy & TTT Post-op diary
Re: Unusual knee problem
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 10:26:10 PM »
Do you mean like this?
http://www.laurenwelle.com/2008/06/13/just-say-no-to-w-sitting/

I am just using the article for the picture, no clue about the text and didn't bother to read it at all. But if that is the position you are referring to, I believe that is a normal way for kids to gravitate to sit in. Some doctors say its a bad way for them to sit (i think that article is alluding to that) and same say it's fine.

I can tell you I have femoral anteversion and tibial torsion, among other things, and some of the literature I've read regarding these two deformities suggests that being able to sit in that position might be an indicator of femoral anteversion. Of course, literature also provides that femoral anteversion is high in children and as they grow, they outgrow the anteversion (normally), so being able to sit in that position as a kid isn't all that abnormal. Being able to sit like that as adult, however, is quite abnormal, LOL.

I can tell you that I cannot sit like that now as a grown-up. It hurts a lot. I believe I could sit like that as a child, but my mom would always make me stop if she saw me because she learned from my older brother's doctor that it was bad for him to sit like that because of his leg deformity so of course to her that meant no baby should ever sit like that because it might make their feet point in too...

Not saying at all that you have a rotational deformity or that if you do it is the cause of your knee problem. I'm more just spouting useless random crap to hopefully try and help. One, to say the awkward position in kids is actually quite normal, and two, being able to sit like that may or may not be related to your knee problem.
Mar '07 - plica excision
Oct '09 - femoral + tibial derotational osteotomy & TTT
Aug '10 - hardware removal
"You control your leg. Don't let it control you." -Smart trainer
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor