Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Arthritis after Tibial Plateau Fracture  (Read 1918 times)

Offline Java

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Arthritis after Tibial Plateau Fracture
« on: September 21, 2009, 03:20:25 PM »
Hi, I'm new to the site, and still trying to figure it out.
On October 2 of 2008 I was in a horse riding accident where my horse flipped over on top of me.  I ended up with a level IV right knee Tibia Plateau fracture. I had a external fixator on for a little over two weeks.  On October 14, I had the surgery to put everything back together. I ended up with two plates and fifteen screws.  I was non weight bearing for 4 months, but started physical therapy almost emmediately for my range of motion.
Luckily, after two months non weight bearing, I had 130 degree bend, which my doctor though was truely remarkable.
Things have been progressing, but I have lost so much muscle in my quadracepts.  I noticed that although I am slowly getting stronger, there was an intense pain in the front of my knee, below my knee and over to the right side (where my fractures were).
Because of all my metal, an MRI couldn't be done, so I had arthoscopic surgery to see what was going on in there.  A clean up of dead scar tissue and a repair of the lateral miniscus was done. I was told that I had also developed arthritis?
After several weeks after the arthroscopic, the searing pain was still there.  So I got a cortizone injection, and in a couple of days I had zero pain!  Suddenly I was able to do all the things I could before my accident.  However, I've noticed that the injection seems to have a three week time limit, as the pain, heat and inflamation is returning.
I'm wondering now what my next step should be?  Should I get another cortizone injection?  Should I try Synvisc?
I never had any sort of knee pain or arthritis before my accident.  I am 37 years old and very active.
I started riding again, but what I can do depends on that intense pain.  From what I've read, I'm too young for knee replacement. 
Can I get injections for years on end?

Offline birdlegs

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Arthritis after Tibial Plateau Fracture
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 11:18:03 PM »
HI--I am new too so this is my first post. I have a failed arthroscopic procedure for  chondromalcia of the patella with an additional mild cllean up of loose small pieces of cartiledge.  I have been suffering a lot of apin for almost a year. Not sure what went worng--but I have now had several cortisone shots which did help---and I undertand you may get three a year.  Arthritus may develop when one has an injury or surgery unfortunately. Hope this helps and good luck.

Best , Birdlegs