Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: I'm calling today, whats difference in MD vs DO suregon  (Read 1228 times)

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
I'm calling today, whats difference in MD vs DO suregon
« on: September 21, 2009, 02:28:26 PM »
I've been around here far too long and finally have hit the wall, so to speak.  Next month will be the 2 yr anniversary of the surgery that hasn't helped.  I've rehabbed, then rehabbed more, then a different type of pt, more pt, medications, nerve tests, different medications, medication patched and frankly I'm tired of it all.

The original surgeon said he did a fine job - can't imagine what's not correct.  He had another os look at mri and well there is nothing.  Next os listened and said more pt - which isn't the case.  The next os couldn't get me out of his office fast enough, go to original os was his advise or take mediation.  Then I tried pt without someone different and pt thinks there is a problem and its not with my strength, etc. 

So fast forward to today - I'm called two different os and just want someone to listen to my story.  Not tell me how my darned leg feels.  If this is the best it gets I'll deal with it but I think it should be better.  Anyone deal with a DO OS?  I figured they to "whole body" and this one specializes in knees / legs.  Just looking for you alls thoughts on this.  eagle

Offline doublemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Andi's Website
Re: I'm calling today, whats difference in MD vs DO suregon
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 04:12:33 PM »
Well, I can only tell you about my personal experience with a DO.  I'm a medical transcriptionist for a D.O. and have done her typing for years.  She specializes in musculoskeletal rehab and chronic pain management.  I also see her as a patient for my low back, hips, and knees. 

I will tell you that she spends more time face to face with patients than any other doctor I've known.  I've seen other doctors who make me feel like I'm just wasting their time by being there, and I end up waiting for an hour for an appointment that only takes two minutes because they have to rush on to another patient.   With the doc I type for, she actually sits down and LISTENS to what people are telling her.  I'm not sure if it's just her particular way of running her practice, or whether it has to do with the DO instead of being an MD, but I'd see her any day over a regular MD just for that reason. 

I guess my thinking is that it wouldn't hurt for you to see the DO as another opinion.  You've been bounced around a lot in the last couple of years, and unfortunately you'll need to keep looking until you find someone who is willing to take the time to dig deeper into your problem and want to fix it, not just pass you off to the next rushed MD down the line.
2000 R patella dislocation
2004 - Soccer injury - LK medial and lateral meniscectomies
2007 - Dx patellar tilt, lateral subluxation, grade III chondromalacia
5/13/08 - RK medial/lateral meniscectomies & patellar chondroplasty
4/6/2010 - RK TTT/LR scheduled

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • My new PFJR...Love It!!!!
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 04:22:53 PM »
Here is a short article that tells the basic differences between a DO and MD. 

http://surgery.about.com/od/questionsanswers/qt/DOversusMD.htm

My Dr's are a mix of MD's and DO's...It's a matter of finding the best Dr to treat your particular issue. 

Karen
Right Knee
2000 - 2002 - Scope,LR,TTT,Unscrewed
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
1/08 Unscrewed/MRI~NON-UNION
02/19/08 Lt  TTT Revision W/Graft
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 09:19:12 PM »
Will I did it - and I'm proud of me!!!  I have an appointment with a knee DO middle of October, a referral from a friend.  I then called the OS whom I've wanted to see for 2 yr but kept thinking "he's downtown and does tons of knees I don't want to bother him with this little problem."  What the heck was I thinking?!!!  I called, full well expecting an appointment maybe Nov. Dec. time frame.  Nope, next Wed!  I couldn't believe it.  Looks like I've taken a giant step forward towards figuring this thing out.  And if not then I'll be satisfied with whatever these two say.  eagle

Offline doublemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Andi's Website
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 09:47:36 PM »
Eagle - good for you for just getting on the phone and making it happen.  I sure hope that someone will be able to get things going for you so you can get on with your life.  Please let us know how your appointment goes next week.

Andi
2000 R patella dislocation
2004 - Soccer injury - LK medial and lateral meniscectomies
2007 - Dx patellar tilt, lateral subluxation, grade III chondromalacia
5/13/08 - RK medial/lateral meniscectomies & patellar chondroplasty
4/6/2010 - RK TTT/LR scheduled

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 02:33:07 AM »
Thanks all.  I have a question though.  I went in for my, sigh, 50 year old mole check.  Anyway the dermatologist didn't like a freckly I've had 50 years so he biopsied it.  Of course that is on the left ankle of the left leg that is bad.  Do you think the os will care about that?  I'm thinking he won't care - I've got a bandage and that's about it.  (That is until the biopsy report comes back)  One doesn't have a thing to do with the other but dr's are sometimes funny like that.  Hope it doesn't cause an issue.  eagle

BTW why am I nervous about this? 

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • My new PFJR...Love It!!!!
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 03:17:13 AM »
I doubt the OS is going to care...Put a Band-Aid over it and if asked let them know why. 

I had a huge mole removed from my ankle a while before my PFJR.  It was almost all the way healed before the surgery.  A nurse at the hospital asked what happened and then stuck a band-aid over it.  That was the end of that...Did not cause any issues.

Karen 
Right Knee
2000 - 2002 - Scope,LR,TTT,Unscrewed
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
1/08 Unscrewed/MRI~NON-UNION
02/19/08 Lt  TTT Revision W/Graft
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2009, 09:03:14 PM »
Oh good - just uncovered this thing, its ugly for sure.  It was a freckle (at least for 51 years thats what I thought) about the size of a smallish dime.  It is now bigger than a quarter and looks really bad.  I will have it covered  for quite some time.  Thanks. eagle

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 11:26:14 PM »
AUGH!!!!  Ok now maybe I can write an intelligent paragraph, or not!  I just came from meeting a new ortho doc.  I did like him but why in the he** won't any doctor listen?  He looked at all the past surgeries reports, mris, etc that I had for him and compared to the xrays he took today.  He noted "significant" arthritis in the knee, probable retear of the meniscus.  (All of these thing I could have told him)  Of course he did a big exam and started telling me how an arthritic knee need "lots and lots" of exercise.  I politely listened and then tried to discuss the tightness that I feel and several other things - I don't think he ever hear me about that. 

He said he'd be glad to scope it and clean up the arthritis and fix the meniscus but didn't think I'd have much pain relief.  He'd rather do a shot and see how I respond to it.  Its not the synvos (sp?) but rather one very large shot that has the lubricant and a protein to coat the knee.  He will order the shot because he doesn't keep it on hand.  He did say to scope arthritis he'd only give it 50 - 50 guess of helping.  But he'd do it if that was what I wanted.

There you have it - I'm to exercise to the point of not hurting, slowly building that up, keep stretching and wait for a shot.  Sadly, this is exactly how each ortho approaches it -eagle

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 02:18:42 PM »
You know in thinking over the os's comments it still upsets me that I am unable to express to obviously any os what I'm feeling in regards to my knee.  Then it dawned on me - I am expressing it but its not a quick fix and they don't know what to do.  Who knows.  Any idea's?  eagle