Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Back to update you all!! New problem  (Read 760 times)

Offline vikki776

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Back to update you all!! New problem
« on: September 20, 2009, 10:11:30 PM »
Hi,

Haven't been on here for ages, hi Jo if you are still about!! I am currently having phsyio on my knee and have been since March, this has been slow but have great physio who tells me the problem i have is biomechanical in that my knee doesn't line up with the rest of my knee properly, does anyone else have this problem, this is why i get the dislocstion on my knee joint occasionally, as i said physio is slow and if pushed to hard my knee flares up to much, so i am now trying insoles and waiting to have some made to measure at the hospital to try and re align my leg, these are making my leg feel unstable and when i come down stairs now there is a very loud pop pop followed sometimes by a crack, i can't stand the noise and the weird feeling it gives so am reluctant to walk on that leg down stairs, also my knee still gives way an awful lot and i am finding it increasingly hard to bend down at the knee and get back up again, please let me know if you have the same  problems and what is been done about it.  Cheers everyone!!

Offline kerristevenson

• Regular Poster
    • K & S Graphics
Re: Back to update you all!! New problem
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 03:08:56 PM »
what kind of surgery have you had on this knee? any yet ?

kerri
Pain started at age 20.... I am 36 now
Years of PT.. what a joke
4-2009 Fulkerson w/ LR right knee
11-2009 screws removed
Left knee is a mess still..

Offline ksi

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 01:46:50 PM »
Have you been diagnosed with patellofemoral syndrome which is a misaligned, maltracking and/or tilted kneecap?  This is usually diagnosed by x-rays of your knees taken at different angles. 
I have had this for a while now and have had physiotherapy on it which isn't really helping much.   
Did you go and use a podiatrist to see about insoles?  I was told to see one but the podiatrist said that they wouldn't help my knees as my knee problem was to do with the muscles in my legs.  I've heard insoles really help some people, but not others. 
The under-lying problem with your knees needs to be looked into before they can be treated.  If your kneecaps are tilted like mine that means that you may have a really tight illiotibial band.  Each under-lying problem is treated differently. 
I tend to have days where my knees are good and days where it isn't.  I try and do quad strengthening on the days when I don't have much pain.
I get the giving way, clicking and popping too along with grinding, these symptoms bother me the most. 
I would definitely see an OS if you haven't already, because when left untreated this problem will just do more damage to your knee. 

Offline vikki776

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 06:45:21 PM »
hi,

have seem numerous OS but each told me to live with it, never told me i was misaligned in any way,( for years i thought it was a cartlidge problem), eventually went privatley and that is how i ended up at the phsiotherapist i have now, he diagnosed the misalignment and said my problem is biomechanical.

I have insoles from the hospital which i have been trying for the last 3 wks until i get an appointment through for the podiatrist to have them made to measure. I find they make the sole of my feet hurt and just seem to agrivate my knee, the physio i have had for the last 3-4 mths hasn't helped as much as i hoped it would, i also struggle becasue my ligaments and mucsles around my knee are not using themselves properly as my knee has been wrong since i was 14 and i am now 33!!

Doctors have dismissed me all these yrs, i am at the point now where i am really struggling to squat down very painful and getting up almost impossible, i horse ride occasionally even this is making my knee feel unstable although i was told it will help strengthen my ligaments etc! i am not convinced any more.

Back to physio next tues to update him on the insoles so will see what he has to say.

support