Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Night Pain  (Read 1764 times)

gspindler

Night Pain
« on: September 19, 2009, 12:20:47 AM »
General Question:\
Obese middle age with knee and back of the patella arthritis.
Why does it hurt more off weightbearing especially at night.  Frequently wakes me up.
I would figure taht it should hurt more when I'm putting weightr on it??????????????

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
Re: Night Pain
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 01:37:28 PM »
During the day your brain is busy thinking about other things. At night your brain shuts off and you start to feel more pain. At least that's my theory. Happens to me every night. The minute I start to fall asleep the throbbing begins.

Offline Lisa28

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 06:20:54 PM »
I had ACL reconstruction 2 weeks ago.  I have a "stuck" knee, and spend hours upon hours every day trying to bend it and doing my strengthening exercises.  I get woken up in the middle of the night with knee pain too.  I think it's from all the stress I put on the knee during the day.  An ice pack usually helps and I can fall back asleep within 30 minutes.

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 02:39:02 AM »
It's not uncommon to have knee pain at night, especially if you lay on your side, and the knee that is hurting is the knee that is the one that is "in the air" or not fully supported by the bed. Trying to get comfortable and relive the angular stresses on that knee that cause more pain at night is not fun. One simple solution is to get one of those formed pillows that fit between one's knees, they can help support the knees and take the strain off. Its one option to help make sleeping on one's  side more comfortable. There's also the big angled wedges, which lift the entire legs, but require you sleep on your back.

A regular pillow is too big or squishy to support like the shaped ones do, according to the feedback I've heard from those that have tried them, and you often have shoved it out of the way by morning.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline Mike780

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 08:28:32 PM »
Before starting my steroid treatment a few weeks ago I was is agony every night , my consultant told me it was because all the tendons and muscles were relaxed and the joints just ached where bone had been rubbing bone, also tossing and turning in ones sleep aggravated the crystals in my joints .  I found the wedge that goes between ones legs helped as did a long tubular pillow which I laid across.

The only other relief was a Tens machine
Arthroscope L/K 27/07/06 Meniscus tear trimmed, diagnosed with OA Grade IV Lateral compartment and trochlea groove.

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 01:39:58 AM »
Voltaren gel applied an hour before bed as an alternative to oral nsaids for nighttime pain may be something to look into, as is a variation of the gel available in a transdermal patch under the brand name Flector. My OS gave me a couple sample patches, but the insurance I used to have would not cover the patches since the gel was available and is cheaper. The advantage to these prodcuts is a much lower nsaid dose gets into the bloodstream from the locally applied product, versus the oral tablet products. The topical products also bypass stomach-realated nsaid issues.

I have also found that transdermal local anesthetic patches can reduce my pain levels 2 - 3 points on the pain scale without other drugs, when applied to a couple locations around the knee joint.

I also use ice in combination with the the tens unit, that seems to help me even more. Keeping open to ideas for pain control is something that has become part of my existence, because of the damage to my knee.

I'm not saying to run out and ask for these meds, I'm only sharing what has been of some degree of help to me. These things aren't instant answers, and may not work for everyone, but I thought them worth sharing in the event that one might help someone else.

I don't know about anyone else, but I hate narcotics and use them as the last resort to control my chronic pain. I have grade 3 bone damage, a lot of bad wear to the joint, and my kneecap is 20% dislocated laterally on a permanent basis, and because of it I'll be needing a TTT pretty soon to try and delay a PFJR/PKR. And I'm only 37.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.