Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Any Ideas? Now updated with MRI  (Read 1847 times)

Offline pepecheese

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Any Ideas? Now updated with MRI
« on: September 17, 2009, 08:31:41 AM »
Hi All,

I have had problems with my left knee for the last year on and off, the last few months have been particularly bad and a physio and Dr diagnosed me with a possible tear in the meniscus.
Went to see a consultant yesterday and he felt round the meniscus area and said it didn't seem to tender, he did a few tests one of which caused a lot of pain but I am unsure what he was testing for. He made me straighten my leg and put it on his knee, he pressed his thumb in to the top of my knee and asked me to tighten my quad muscle this caused me to jump up in pain, I just wondered if anyone had any idea as to what this might indicate? He said there could be something rubbing between the 2 bones but i thought the meniscus was the protection between the 2 bones so i am a bit confused as to how they could rub if the meniscus is fully intact? I have been referred for an MRI scan so guess I will find out then but if anyone has any ideas it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

:)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 08:18:44 PM by pepecheese »

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
Re: Any Ideas?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 11:18:34 AM »
If it hurt when your kneecap went under where he was pushing when you tightened your quad, that is an indicator test that there may be something pinched between the kneecap and upper leg bone where the kneecap goes, if I remember right, which is why he ordered the mri for a suspected meniscus tear.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline pepecheese

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 11:26:29 AM »
Thanks for the reply dm, the way he was talking made me think that he actually suspected that it wasn't a tear but something else was rubbing, that's why i was confused. Do you think there could there be something in my knee that is causing the rubbing?

Offline derek320

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 11:54:53 AM »
You could have articular carilidge damage which could cause a flap of cartilidge to break off either your femur or tibia, the flap could be causing the rubbing if it's floating between the two bones.

It could also just be a meniscus tear, you'll have to wait for the MRI report to find out.
-Left knee history-
Oct 06- injured knee, MRI shows torn meniscus, no action
June 09- knee begins popping, MRI shows large OCD lesion
Aug 09- OCD lesion removed, microfracture surgery, partial meniscectomy
Jan 19- biopsy for MACI, partial meniscectomy
Apr 19- MACI implantantion, meniscus allograft

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 12:10:52 PM »
The other possibility is a "floater" like the other poster sorta said... maybe something came loose and theres' a bit of  mensiscus or whatever that's just roaming around in the joint fluid getting stuck in stuff. The bottom line is the mri is the first indicator, and if it's not conclusive, they can just scope it and go find out based on symptoms.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline pepecheese

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 12:16:07 PM »
Thanks for the replies, I have the MRI tomorrow and get the results next week so will let you know how it goes.

Offline pepecheese

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 01:20:42 PM »
Hi All,

Just to keep you updated.

Had my MRI today, don't get the results until Thursday from the consultant but they did give me a copy for myself. I have had a look and when the MRI goes through the front of the knee a white mark what looks like something that shouldn't be there appears at the top/ inside of the tibia between the knee joint, it looks fairly big from the MRI and it's in the exact position where I am getting pain, I am not sure if this is normal or not? But it doesn't look normal on the MRI. Roll on Thursday.

Regards,

P :)

Offline pepecheese

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009, 07:13:54 PM »
Just managed to work out how to change the MRI pics in to JPG's, I have uploaded one for your viewing, I am not sure if it is normal or not but that white lump looks out of place to me.

Offline MedicMom

• Regular Poster
Re: Any Ideas? Now updated with MRI
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2009, 10:00:48 PM »
I'm not a doc but from your MRI pic I would have to say there is definately an issue with your meniscus.  Your entire medial (?) meniscus appears to have increased signal which is an indicator of something abnormal.   

This is just my best guess and it's nothing more then that.  Only the doc can confirm .

good luck and hope you get some answers soon.
March 09 Bilateral Early compatmental OA
March 09 Medial/Lateral Meniscal Tear of RT knee with patellofemoral chondromalacia and ligament strain.
April 09  Patella Alta RK, deficiant femoral condyle RK, laterally flattened and foreshortened patellar groove RK
Feb 3rd 2010 TTT, menisectomy

Offline pepecheese

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 08:46:30 PM »
OK need some more advice, been to see the consultant today he has informed me that the white mark on the scan is a cyst but as it is on the lateral side and not the medial side where the pain is and that I shouldn't worry about it, there was some inflamation on the medial side and he gave me a cortosine injection for this (ouch). Surely it can't be good to walk around with a 2cm cyst in your knee joint? Any advise would be appreciated as I am struggling to know what to do next.

Thanks

Offline JaneDown

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2009, 01:29:46 PM »
Hi, I have no personal experience of this and am definitely not a doctor but surely having a cyst that large in the joint space on the lateral side must change the forces through the knee as you walk or bend etc and would perhaps explain the referred pain on the medial side. I would have thought that just giving cortisone for the inflammation would only be a short-term solution and surely the cyst remaining there and possibly pushing your joint out of place slightly will continue to cause problems. Did the doctor say that the cyst would just go away by itself? The cyst looks pretty significant on your MRI, no wonder you're having pain! Hope you manage to get things resolved.
Jane
Knee pain since 2002
2006 MRI shows lateral meniscal tears
Oct 2008 Bilateral partial lateral meniscectomies (long recovery!!)
Jan 2009 MRI shows surgery caused damage to medial meniscus!!!
June 2013 knee injury, agony!!!
August 2013 - left knee medial partial meniscectomy

Offline pepecheese

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2009, 03:45:30 PM »
Thanks for your relpy Jane, I am no expert either, but what you say makes sense to me and that is what I am thinking could be happening, if you look at the MRI scan picture I uploaded it almost looks like the alignment of the knee is pushing down on the side where I am getting the pain because of the cyst.

He didn't say it would go away, he just said not to worry about it, I have got an appointment with my GP on Thursday to see if he thinks it's worth getting a 2nd opinion so will let you know how it goes.

P :)

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 24
  • How 'bout them Cowboys!
    • Derotation osteotomy & TTT Post-op diary
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2009, 03:51:12 PM »
If you have the option of a second opinion, I would take it. It never hurts to have it.
Mar '07 - plica excision
Oct '09 - femoral + tibial derotational osteotomy & TTT
Aug '10 - hardware removal
"You control your leg. Don't let it control you." -Smart trainer
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline bumknee83

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2009, 08:55:46 PM »
Im sorry to say this hon but were not doctors, we cant tell you whats going on.  I dont think anyone here is qualified to read MRI's.  I would agree with everyone else tho and get a second opinion.  Something you see on MRI that you think might be wrong may actually be nothing at all like your doc said.  If you dont trust him or you think hes cheating you get another doc.  Other than that we cant diagnose.  I hope things get better, keep us updated.
Apr 05-right MPFL repair
May 08-tore right medial meniscus
Jun-Sept 09 4 patella D/L
Aug 09-had CT scan
10/15/09 rt medial closing wedge HTO/MPFL recon w/ transplant
12/4/09 rt patella fx
12/7/09 rt ORIF
6/10 shifting hardware and non-union
7/10 patella h/w removal
7/12 need tibia h/w removal

support