Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Questioning recent meniscectomy -Is it time for 2nd opinion?  (Read 770 times)

Offline ktustis

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Questioning recent meniscectomy -Is it time for 2nd opinion?
« on: September 15, 2009, 09:27:30 AM »
Hi everyone! I'm a newbie here and was wondering if you all could help me with some insight on my recent surgery.

History: Injured myself while water tubing - had a straight legged landing on the tube and heard a poping sound and had my knee gave medially and foot went laterally.  ER X-ray was neg. Saw OS week later and had MRI. Showed Ruptured ACL, stage 1 MCL tear  &  Medial lateral meniscus tear, as well as Bakers Cyst , and bone bruising. OS called back and referred to another OS who specialized in ACL's.  Went to family friend recommended OS who got me in immediately (not the previously recommended OS) and felt upon exam & reviewing MRI, that I did not have ACL damage. Had surgery 5 days later (as I said, was a friend of the family) and had a meniscectomy (28 days since accident ). Was seen day 2 for post op & sent home with list of exercises- no PT ordered. Was feeling much better after surgery and called first OS (who goes to our church & has operated on my Mom) to let him know the good news of the "no ACL tear". He was very upset I did not see his recommended OS and said he still feels I may have a "internally ruptured" ACL which while visibly appearing intact could still be functionally torn.
I discussed this with the OS who did surgery and he feels that my problems are over since my knee has stopped locking. Almost 2 weeks after my surgery- recovery going Very well, My knee gave out when stepping down 1 step. It went the same way as it did when I first had the accident. Very painful and was non weight bearing for 2 whole days. Went back to R.I.C.E. and had Xray 4 days later at my 2 week post op check. Doc said all was ok- no further damage. Still hurts like heck though, very swollen and stiff. Painkillers from surgery caused me to beakout in hives so I had to stop them. Dr only  Gave me prednisone  (steroid) for 6 days to help relieve the swelling.   And told me to do leg lifts. Still I was given No brace, no PT order, & no pain killers. Knee gives out again 2 days later while attempting to go up the steps. Just twisted but still verysore & am now very frustrated at this point. So here is the question........ Does this Dr. sound like he knows what is going on? I feel like he is kind of blowing me off- and I'm worried that the knee instability I'm experiencing is possibly related to this question of the ACL.  MY Lachman test was negitive. Am I crazy to want a 2nd opinion after the surgery has already been done??? Any suggestions would be very helpful- I'm 35 & this is my first knee injury. Thanks!

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 24
  • How 'bout them Cowboys!
    • Derotation osteotomy & TTT Post-op diary
Re: Questioning recent meniscectomy -Is it time for 2nd opinion?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 01:17:30 PM »
i know if it were me, i wouldn't be able to sleep at night because my brain would keep wondering if i should have the second opinion. if it were me, i would see the doctor your original OS recommended.
Mar '07 - plica excision
Oct '09 - femoral + tibial derotational osteotomy & TTT
Aug '10 - hardware removal
"You control your leg. Don't let it control you." -Smart trainer
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline ktustis

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Questioning recent meniscectomy -Is it time for 2nd opinion?
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 05:51:20 PM »
well here's the update: Went to go see the recommended OS & guess what? I have completely blown the ACL. Apparently it's "empty compartment sysdrom" or something like that. so Have 4-6 weeks of PT  before ACL replacement surgery. Man, sometimes it sucks to be right.