Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Severe hamstring pain 3 weeks post ACL reconstruction op  (Read 39310 times)

Offline KRPDressage

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Severe hamstring pain 3 weeks post ACL reconstruction op
« on: September 14, 2009, 02:42:40 AM »
3 weeks ago I received orthoscopic ACL reconstruction using my hamstring.

A week ago, after simply reaching forward to my left while sitting on the ground to pick a piece of paper, I experienced a sharp pain similar to the feeling when your "funny bone" is hit combined with the feeling of two tight and sore muscles rubbed against eachother. The pain kept increasing throughout the day. The next day, my doctor examined the knee and felt around my quadricep while adding pressure to certain areas asking if the pressure was painful. It wasn't painful in these places. This made him think the graft he took from my hamstring wasn't damaged and that it was most likely a muscle tear at the site on the hamstring where they took the graft.

This morning I was doing exercises I learned in PT. It was the leg raising exercise where you lay on your side with the leg with my injured knee (left knee) on the ground, my right leg bent and the sole ofmy right foot placed flat on the ground across my left leg. I was feeling pain while raising my leg on the inside of the knee. I thought moving my right leg back over to the right side would modify the exercise and eliminate pain. As I raised my left leg I heard a pop (sounded and felt like a joint popping, NOT the same sound as the ACL tearing) and immediatly felt excruciating, sharp pain in my hamstring, but I havent had any pain in my knee all day. I was able to walk on it until an hour later when the pain got intolerable. This pain was and still is way more severe than the hamstring injury from the previous week. I put pressure on the places where I remembered
my doctor checked and did not feel pain. I have been taking the prescribed amount, 2 pills of hydrocodone/apap  with a strength of 7.5mg/325mg every 4 hours on the dot all day. I have not experienced pain anywhere close to this severity throughout this whole process (the actuall accident, pre-op, and post-op). 

I have heard using a graft from your hamstring is a longer and more painful recovery. Does this sound like another muscle tear or is this serious? I have a PT session scheduled tomorrow morning... Should I go to it and get my physical therapist's opinion or go straight to my doctor in the morning?       

Offline KRPDressage

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Severe hamstring pain 3 weeks post ACL reconstruction op
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 10:37:34 PM »
I found out from my physical therapist that this is normal... It is easy to have painful days with the hamstring graft. My leg wasn't straight in the exercise, so instead of using the groin muscle and quad to lift my leg I was using my hamstring. This pulled a muscle on the hamstring... probably the same muscle from the week before. It is feeling much better after lots of rest and ice with the leg extended. This way the muscle is iced while the hamstring is stretched and not shortened.

Offline lisalucozade

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 07:13:20 PM »
This happened me bout every 3 days post op 4 the 1st 4 wks! Very sore indeed n each time i bruised badly down my calf right in2 my ankle n foot! This was me retearing the muscle each time. My op was on 23rd sept, i now have a very tight weak hamstring which is restricting my bend!
July 2008- avulsion fracture left tibia, football tackle resulting in long leg cast 4 6 wks
Feb 2009- arthoscopy left knee, plica removed
June 2009- same knee buckled 3rd game back
July 2009- MRI revealed ruptured ACL n Lateral Meniscus damage
Sept 2009- ACL Recon n meniscus was slightly shaved!

Offline kneegurl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 03:16:15 AM »
hello ,
i just had acl reconstruction and meniscus surgery 3 weeks ago and i was fine until yesterday. I was putting a bit of weight on it and turned my upper body weird. i then got a sharp pain in my hamstring. the doctor took the peice from my hamstring so im hoping i just streched the hamstring. after you did yours did you walk on it?

Offline blew_knee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 01:17:29 PM »
hi... this happens with hamstring graft.... eventually the pain will go away... ... :D
- ACl + meniscus 03.2008 - ACLr 4 monts after.
-stretch ACL Graft 5.5 months after surgery.
doc's dont want to do surgery because i dont have pain and have a partial function ACL
-Rehab 6 months, pain starts cant find doc to help me... dam country
+ 5 months ACL revision- not so stable knee

support