Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Tourniquet/severe pain?  (Read 3943 times)

Offline ~*Heather*~

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 4
  • Why me? Why is it always me?
Tourniquet/severe pain?
« on: September 10, 2003, 10:23:31 PM »
Hi everyone,

Just a quick question. I recently had a TTT surgery (Sep. 3rd) and I had severe atrophy of the quadriceps beforehand.

I have posted a question before about bumping the atophied muscle into things (before surgery) and it creating lumps under the skin which hurt like heck and also bruising staying for 2 weeks.

My question is can a tourniquet (sp?) do the same thing?  I know I had one used during surgery and I have noticed increasing soreness at the top of my quad. It wakes me up if anything rubs or bumps it. There is no bruising that I can see though. I woke up my husband and asked if he thought my brace was sliding up at night and maybe digging into the leg. He said he doubted it and that it was where they place the tourniquet. I never had thought of that!

I don't want to call my OS about it because he is in surgery today (so I wont get called back) and also I see him Monday. It's not an emergency it just is very very painful.  

Does anyone know what this could be or why it hurts so dang bad?  I was worried that my overall quad was unhealthy tissue/muscle from being atrophied for a ear and a half, but I do remember the resident OS coming in my hospital room after surgery and explaining things further to us and he mentioned that the muscle looked great in there.

Anyone else ever have this? Is it because of the atrophied muscle? What makes me think is may be is my hamstring is barely sore at all and I was able to use that muscle when lifting weights so the atrophy was not as bad there.  Any info would be helpful. I have tried to look it up on the internet but I can't find anything on it.  Thanks in advance!  

Heather  
R knee-2 LR's, 1 ITB Release. L knee-LR/medial plication (2/02).Fell postop 3/02 & ruptured quad tendon.Quad tendon repair (8/02).Led to Patella Baja.TTT w/ Quad tendon reefing 9/03.Screw removal 8/04

Offline Jillian24

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: Tourniquet/severe pain?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2003, 10:37:56 PM »
Heather,
   I had the same thing post op on all my surgeries. Even the sheet rubbing against my leg! It got better though. I actually had bruises where they had the tourniquet(sp). I would say wait a bit longer and then if you still have major pain then ask the OS. I hope everything else is well. Good Luck, Jillian
ONE TTT LAST OCT
10 LR'S    ONE MEDIAL RELEASE
STAPH INFECTION.....MANY MONTHS IN HOSPITAL

Offline ~*Heather*~

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2003, 10:51:58 PM »
Jillian,

Thanks,  that's good to know! Well, not actually good, but you know what I mean. LOL. I'm just glad to hear that this is something crazy that I need addressed ASAP.

So it should only last a few weeks then? I was wondering why it wasn't bruised because it sure FEELS like it should be!  My bruises have been showing up after pain starts on this surgery. Like my shin hurt terrible, but there was nothing there. Then a day or two later it's all bruised.  I think I'm just weird. Oh well.  

I will tell my OS about it on my visit on the 15th and see what he says. I will let you know what he says.
Are you getting nervous yet? Your surgery is coming soon!   I'll be pulling for you!

Take care,
Heather

R knee-2 LR's, 1 ITB Release. L knee-LR/medial plication (2/02).Fell postop 3/02 & ruptured quad tendon.Quad tendon repair (8/02).Led to Patella Baja.TTT w/ Quad tendon reefing 9/03.Screw removal 8/04

Offline Jillian24

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2003, 11:24:06 PM »
Heather,
   I am sure that your muscles and everything that got all smushed down in there is just recovering as well. You may not see much if it's on the muscle I did but I have chicken legs! I am sure you are fine. Sorry that you are having pain!
I am not getting nervous just anxious! I am really worried about recovery! I live with steps and those are never good! But I sure that I will be when it gets closer. I will be asking for reassurance soon I am sure! Thanks for asking, Jillian
ONE TTT LAST OCT
10 LR'S    ONE MEDIAL RELEASE
STAPH INFECTION.....MANY MONTHS IN HOSPITAL

Offline anasta5ia

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2003, 01:19:55 AM »
Heather-

I had the same pain that you are talking about for my other three knee surgeries.  After a while though I also developed those really nice bruises completely around my leg where they had the tourniquet.  I don't know why, but with this last surgery I had no signs of a tourniquet.  Hmmmm, I still don't know how that could be.

Anyway, I'm sure that you would probably be ok until your appointment on Monday.

I hope everything goes well-

-Heather G.
Rt. knee-plica resection, LR, 4 TTTs, MPFL repair & 2 MPFL reconstructions
Lt. knee-2 TTTs, & 2 MPFL reconstructions...
Scheduled for bilateral hardware removal, lt. knee TT revision, MPFL recon and LR recon with new wonderful surgeon.
Plus 9 other orthopedic surgeries

Offline ~*Heather*~

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2003, 02:28:53 AM »
Heather,

Just wanted to write back and say that not all surgeries require the use of a tourniquet so maybe that's why you had it with some and not the others if indeed it IS the tourniquet doing this. Thanks for your response.

Heather

Offline missmyknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 20
  • From the Land of OZ
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2003, 02:41:00 AM »
Hi Heather

I also had the same pain and sensitivity after all my leg and knee surgeries from the tourniquet.

Pam
4Fx Clsd red
IMrod fib plate
derotate osteotmy tibfib
AF
IPCS patbaja
DeLeeOsteotmy,LOA,LR Zplasty,bongrf,chondrplty
chondrplty,LOA,fatpad remvd
TKR
openLOA,neurectmy,ITB Zplasty,fabela
PLC recon,revison,LOA,synovec
MCL,revison LOA