Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Hello newbie here just needing a little info please!  (Read 2241 times)

Offline roughnrowdydowdy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hello newbie here just needing a little info please!
« on: May 01, 2009, 03:40:39 PM »
I have been on here reading alot of good things on the PRP shots..  I had a x ray last week and it showed a slightly tore menisus and im schueduled to have a mri next week to confirm it..   Also I have osteo-arthritus which is pretty painful and the knees grind and crunch alot due to a tore patela tendon in 2005 and years of wear and tear with sports, so my cartlidge has some wear on it...   Im 26 now and im gonna try to get something done before things get much worse.. Anyways I have checked in on 2 places that do those PRP shots Dr Wei in Maryland and Dr Stein in Cincinnati and well to make things short Dr Wei supposed to use your own stem cells in the shots and its supposed to regrow cartlidge or so they said..  And I asked Dr Stein's office if they do the ones with the stem cells in them and they said they haven't heard anything about it..  Well it's nearly $6000 a shot at Dr Wei's and around $3000 at Dr Stein's office..  Does anyone know if their is a diffrence in the shots???   Or is all PRP shots the same???  Thats a big price diffrence and this day and age every penny helps..   Anyways if anyone can give me some info I would greatly appreciate it  :)

Offline DennisF

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Hello newbie here just needing a little info please!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 06:46:22 AM »
Hi.

I've also been doing some research. As far as I know (Please correct me, anybody, if I'm wrong) Dr Wei uses stem cells which are extracted from bone marrow in the hip and then injected into the problem area. PRP is extracted from your blood before injection. Regenexx (Dr Centeno) uses a combination of the two: stem cells cultured outside the body and stimulated to do so through the use of the growth factors provided by PRP before injection thus allowing a far larger number of stem cells to be delivered to the problem area. I imagine the more severe your cartilage wear the more the number of stem cells delivered becomes an issue.

I do not know about Dr Stein.

For anyone who's interested, I received an email from Dr Dunn, who has pioneered the use of rHgH injections and whose protocol involves 2 months of keeping weight off the knee (See iagh.com) telling me that rHgH is not suitable for torn meniscii.

KNEES: Complex medial meniscus tear and deep lateral femoral condyle fissure on LHS, chondral ulceration to 50% depth on RHS. Also possible hip arthritis.

Offline Dr. Centeno

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 10
Re: Hello newbie here just needing a little info please!
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 02:43:02 PM »
One of my patients asked me to comment on this thread as there is some understandable confusion on the differences between certain injection therapies for the knee. 

1.  PRP-Platelet Rich Plasma-Platelets are small pieces of cells in your blood stream that help with clotting and healing.  They contain important growth factors that kick start healing.  PRP, in our experience, is great for helping something heal that is stalled in it's healing process.  A good example is chronic tendonitis or an acute meniscus tear. 

2.  BMAC-Dr. Wei uses BMAC, or bone marrow aspirate concentrate.  This is mixed up by a bedside centrifuge.  There are stem cells in this mix, but only about 1 in 10,000 to 1 in 100,000 of these cells is an orthopedic type stem cell (mesenchymal stem cell) or MSC.  I have blogged on some of the science concerning BMAC and our concerns that it doesn't have enough stem cells in most patients.  See http://www.regenexx.com/2009/02/bone-marrow-nucleated-cell-concentrate-bmac-is-it-concentrated-enough/

3.  Culture expanded Mesenchymal Stem Cells- This is what the Regenexx procedure uses.  This is taking the bone marrow aspirate and using PRP to grow out the cells for about 2 weeks.  You end up with about 100-1,000 X more orthopedic type stem cells (MSC's) than BMAC.   Just about all of the 1,000 animal papers showing excellent results in cartilage repair use this technique.

Hope this helps.