Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Words of advice wanted! Will be having an ACI!  (Read 8623 times)

Offline lady

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • live well laugh often love much and play hard
Re: Words of advice wanted! Will be having an ACI!
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2009, 12:35:45 AM »
OMGosh. I just read my crazy post. I'm having trouble with my laptop key board but didn't realize how bad it was.

I wish you luck. You should read the threads where people take you through their journy of ACI. I have read them and think they are amazing. It really does seem like ACI has come along way. And like I said... you should have an exprierneced ACI doc and research thier success rate in this type of surgery. Ask them what they think the % of success is for your personal injury. Ask about OATS or other surgries.

Personaly I just declined an osteotomy ( for the 2nd time, now my doc knows I mean it). We have decided I will wear an unloader brace until I can't hold off a PKR anymore. Not sure if that was the right decission (my doc thinks it was a good way to go). My doc can only give me a 30% success rate and I don't think thats enough. Not to mention he said that if it does fail I will worse than I am now. No THANKS.

I just have to say how awful it feels to be in limbo. I think you should do something rather than nothing though. I would if my % of success was greater than 30%. That sounds funny coming from the person wearing a brace until the end of time. lol.

dislocated patella and chopped off most of chondal 1985
chondroplasty/medial meniscus repair 1996
ACI  quater size defect-surgery failure
lateral meniscus repair2002
chondroplasty, lateral Meniscectomy2006
synvisc & orthovisc injections 2008/2009
drained and cortizone injection 2008

Offline lady

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2009, 12:45:11 AM »
If this is your doc he sounds amazing. Check out the website I found if you haven't already.

http://www.cartilagedoc.org/rp.cfm

Offline ajschnelk

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2009, 03:25:11 PM »
If this is your doc he sounds amazing. Check out the website I found if you haven't already.

http://www.cartilagedoc.org/rp.cfm

Yep, that's him.  He's probably one of the top 3 that peform the ACI.  He's telling me that I'll have about an 85% of being pain free and about a 50% of being able to do high impact activities(basically everything).  This is the typical success rate with ACI today when dealing with an isolated defect. Mine is nonweight bearing, so I'm hoping to get back to almost 100%. 

Offline madel23

• Regular Poster
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2009, 07:24:46 PM »
What does 85% chance of being pain free mean?  Aren't you already mostly pain free when not doing high-impact activities?  Running is a high impact activity, I'm guessing.

Offline ajschnelk

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2009, 09:59:41 PM »
What does 85% chance of being pain free mean?  Aren't you already mostly pain free when not doing high-impact activities?  Running is a high impact activity, I'm guessing.

Good question.  85% chance that normal day-to-day stuff will be pain free.  In my situation, this would inlude things like stairs and anything having to do with squatting.  There's not a day that goes by that I don't feel my knee, but since I don't have any pain with walking, the pain is always short lived and somewhat tolerable. 

Offline Room 101

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
  • 2+2=5
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2009, 11:16:12 PM »
Hey!  Dr. Cole did my ACI 10 months ago.  It was outpatient, and I happened to not have any issues.  I took 1/2 dose of Norco and that's it.  The Gameready was my life saver.  I agree with all those before me that said to fight for it.  I knew my insurance would not cover it, but I went with it anyway.  Totally worth it.  I am in a far better place already than before the surgery.  I had my AMZ done first and then my ACI 10 months later.  They were very different pains.  The AMZ was blood rushes for the first week and then really no pain... I was admittedly stupid and quit taking pain killers after 36 hours  ::) -- very bad idea. 

The ACI freaked me out because I completely lost my quad function as far as SLRs go.  I initially posted on here because after several weeks I still couldn't lift my leg without using my hands to help.  In hind site, it was just the location of the defect and my body being protective. 

As for being prepared, pretty much all the other replies sum it up.  I was bad about allowing help after the AMZ.  I just felt so useless, but I was much more mentally ready for the ACI having experienced the months on crutches earlier that year.  I go up & down stairs now and when I am done I think about the fact that i just went up & down stairs and didn't think about it  ;D -- I never thought that would happen...

Good luck,
Room 101
February 1 2008 - left knee AMZ/LR/Debridement/ACI biopsy
December 2 2008 - left knee ACI - Patela
May 25 2011 - Left knee mfx - trochlea  (ACI growth looked "pristine"), Right knee ACI biopsy
September 5, 2012 - Right knee AMZ/ACI - patella

Offline lady

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2009, 01:39:19 AM »
That remindes me (thanks room 101). Strenghten your muscles as much as possible beofre you have surgery. Especialy your quad. Good lUck. Your doc looks great on paper.