Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Exercise program for younger arthritis sufferer  (Read 17815 times)

Offline Mike_A

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Exercise program for younger arthritis sufferer
« on: September 03, 2009, 07:20:29 AM »
Hi everyone... I'm a 32 year old who's has oa in both knees.  I'm looking for some leg exercises that will actually pack some muscle back onto my legs.  Most of the exercises I've seen advised for arthritis sufferers simply aren't challenging enough for me (I don't feel like I'm getting anything out of laying on my back and raising my leg up and down 50 times).  Does anyone have any exercises that can pack some muscle on your quads without putting a lot of stress on the knees?  Thanks!

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
Re: Exercise program for younger arthritis sufferer
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 02:13:31 PM »
Hey there,

I am 39 and have had patellar OA for several years.  There are tons of quad and hammie exercises out there.  The trick is finding the ones that work for you, but don't flair the pain.  I got to the point where even those silly leg raises caused nasty flairs, so pick carefully.  Try some new ones out and see how you feel after (even up to a couple days later).  It is a tough middle ground for sure.  Look under quad exercises.  Just remember to keep the knee over the toes not not past (like most body builder squats etc).  Good luck.
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline madel23

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 03:39:21 PM »
I know what you mean!  Try leg lifts with a 5-lb weight on your ankle.  Another thing I like to do is terminal leg extensions--although I guess that would be hard with OA in both knees.  I have only one bad knee, so I can lift the bar up part way with the good one.  Also, mini-squats and short step-ups/downs with dumbells. 

Offline maryc

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 18
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 05:30:45 PM »
Don't forget the abductor and adductor muscles - these made a big difference for me.  Side leg lifts, cross-over lifts really help.  Also theraband stretches.
check out cyberpt.com for a variety of exercises
http://www.cyberpt.com/cptvidlist.asp
also check out these from the arthritis foundation especially the pre-surgery ones
http://www.arthritistoday.org/fitness/exercise-videos-and-photos/index.php
8/4/07 fell
8/5 diagnosed TPF
8/6 surgery plate and 6 screws
8/12 out of hospital NWM
8/21 staples removed
9/18 OS appt - WBAT with crutches
10/10 - WBAT with cane
10/27 - back to work w/cane
12/26 - no cane, slight limp when tired
1/25/08 - released from PT, no limp
2/3/09 - Released by OS

Offline Mike_A

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 07:20:47 AM »
Hey thanks for the tips guys... I'm gonna look around and try a few new things.  At this point I've quit exercising my quads all together (I still do my hammys via stiff legged dead lifts).  I'm actually kind of a gym rat as I workout 5 days a week but except for the stiff legged dead lifts it's all upper body.  My legs are like tooth picks at this point... I know just giving up on my quads probably isn't the best way to go.  So I'm gonna try to find a few exercises and put together a quad routine... I'll check back in with any questions or updates I might have.  Thanks!

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 02:10:48 PM »
Good luck Mike.  Just start 'em slow, you wouldn't want to shock them into protest!  SLRs are boring but they do work well as well as a short arc quad.  BORING! but effective place to start.

Milly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

vinnic

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 04:22:51 PM »
Sorry to hear about your pain Mike.  Saw your other post too, and had a couple of questions.  First, how bad was your meniscus tear and did you have any type of surgery or therapy to help it along?  Second, did an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in knees diagnose your arthritis in both knees or someone else?  Knowing your situation, try to seek out some type of financial assistance to get a professional examination and rehab program in place if possible.  If not, the information hub on this website has a nice list of exercises with good descriptions, pics, and some videos on how to do them properly.  Also, look at the various knee boards for further ideas including the meniscus boards, cruciates boards, etc.  Most of us who have had surgery have been told that we're at risk now of developing arthritis at some point from the surgery alone and that keeping up with our rehab programs on our own is an excellent way to help the knee out.  You may want to look for "closed-chain" exercises versus "open-chain" exercises, where your foot is planted on a surface while doing the particular exercise.  Many posters here are told to stick with "closed-chain" exercises versus the other (except straight-leg raises, which is actually open-chain but the knee is locked straight).  Some examples include the leg press, squats, step-ups, lateral step-ups, step-downs, etc.  However, I'm not a medical professional though and don't know the extent of your pain.  Best of luck to you.

Offline old dog

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 10:46:43 PM »
Hey:

I am new to this board, but I have been reading the different replies on this board for about a week.  I am confused, I have major problems with my knees, and have been told by my doctor that exercise is the best way to combat the arthritis.  My doctor told me to do leg extensions and stay away from leg presses, squats, dead lifts, or lunge exercises. I do ride a stationary bike three times a week, but does anyone have a good program or suggestion?

Offline maryc

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 18
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 03:25:26 AM »
Do you have access to a pool?  I found that the arthirtis foundation has special water exercise classes at many community pools and "Y's"  Check their web site.
Sending healing rays your way
8/4/07 fell
8/5 diagnosed TPF
8/6 surgery plate and 6 screws
8/12 out of hospital NWM
8/21 staples removed
9/18 OS appt - WBAT with crutches
10/10 - WBAT with cane
10/27 - back to work w/cane
12/26 - no cane, slight limp when tired
1/25/08 - released from PT, no limp
2/3/09 - Released by OS

Offline lady

• Forum Faithful
  • live well laugh often love much and play hard
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 01:04:43 AM »
Triple threats are great and helped me you need a chair or a big exercise ball. Lay on your back put your heels on the chair/ball and lift your middle(butt) off the ground in a plank postition, hold for 5 do 12x 3 sets. Keep heels on the chair/ball but bend your knees and lift butt up 12x. 3 sets Last one only if you have exercise ball, Bend knees and roll the ball into your butt  and straighten to plank (if you have a ball) 12x 3 sets.

Also an resistance elastic around your ankles and do flutter kicks front, side and back 12x 3 sets. Hate them! more than wall squats but I do them once in a blue moon (what the heck).

Wall squats are suppose to be the thing!! I hate them! The leg press and multi hip have helped me the most but its broken at my gym (bumma). So now I'm going strong with the inner and outer thigh but the outer is killing my hip. I have to wear my brace when I lift but I still have seen an improvement with my muscles and I have noticed that even though I have pain its not as bad as before I do wear an unloader all day, but I feel the lifting and brace have complimented each other and really helped me. The only thing I don't do is leg curls and I don't do standing calf raises I do them sitting.

Good luck I hope these help.

dislocated patella and chopped off most of chondal 1985
chondroplasty/medial meniscus repair 1996
ACI  quater size defect-surgery failure
lateral meniscus repair2002
chondroplasty, lateral Meniscectomy2006
synvisc & orthovisc injections 2008/2009
drained and cortizone injection 2008

Offline carty

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2012, 12:16:56 AM »
I have the same problem. I'm 32 years, female. I have OE in the femoropatellar joint and therefor real difficulties to work my quads. Befor my OE became symptomatic I did a lot legwork. That's why there is still some muscle, but for how long? Problems with it is, I have patella maltracking, so what i need most would be inner quads.

At present I try:
Gym: streight-legged deadlift, calve raises, a little abducctors and adducctors. I meight try leg press in an extremly small ROM (0-20 degrees) the next weeks. I do as much cycling, swimming, walking as I can, but at present it's all not much, compared to when it was unsymptomatic (and I knew nothing of it).
From my physio I git some exercises that seem really helpful:
1. Stay on one leg, with kne slightly bent, 20 degrees or so. Swing the other leg up, with knee bent, foot flexed and slightly rotated outward, so to protect the knee of the swinging leg. Put the swinging leg back down, behind you. if you can withour shifting weight, if your standing leg needs rest, shift weight back. Do as much as suits you. You can do the same with a stretch band around your swinging leg and fixed that in a table-leg. makes it much more challanging.

2. Feet normal step width apart. Lift the front leg a little and step back down, while lifting the back leg a little and stepping down while lifting the front leg and so on. Should be linke running on the place withour moving feet position even a millimeter.

In all exercises, always pay attention to have knee in one line with foot. As soon as your leg twist a little or bends to the side, stop and rest.

This is really helping me to work the quad. I had an acute phase, where I couldn't do anything fpr about 2 month. Still lots of muscles are left, since I did olympic squads with nearly my own bodyweight loads to the barbell befor. Still the exercisses are helping me to activate and build my quads.

Offline D_Morgan

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 08:04:18 AM »
Well all the people who have been facing arthritis problem . Moreover, they are unable to to get any exercises due this problem . So the first priority should be to discuss with doctor and don't get exercise until doctor advises for it .
[Spam link removed by KNEEguru]

Offline carty

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2012, 10:36:44 PM »
Well in the end everyone has to find out her- or himself. Also doctors often don't know what to do, expeially with young OA sufferers.

On doc told me, because of my arthritis behind the knee cap, cycling is the worst, because of the bending, i should walk and I can jog, if I can (not on a regular basis). The next one told me, cycling is very good and jogging is bad.

So in the end, I tried and still do, what my knee can take and what not. Cycling seems so much better than jogging, although it really seems counterintuitiv.

Anyway still I do my gymnastics, as I described, plus other exercises and really got some serious quads and vastus medialis back. Actually I wonder myself what I got back with so light exercises, compared to the weight lifting I did before.

support