Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Dog agility  (Read 15421 times)

Offline Julie42

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Dog agility
« on: May 29, 2009, 10:26:05 AM »
Hi everyone

Please can anyone out there tell me if it would be possible to do dog agility with a total knee replacement?. My border collie Merlin is fantastic at agility and will work at a distance .i am sure there would be many times when I will not be able to get to the right place on a course but that will not have to matter agility is Fun. I know running is not really allowed but maybe a fast walk may work.

Is there anyone still competing at agility with major knee problems

Many thanks

Julie

Offline Marjan

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Dog agility
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 04:33:11 PM »
Hello Julie.......

Someone who knows that I do agility passed along this post to me and I just had to respond.  YES, there is agility after major knee problems.  Some of it is easier, some of it is harder.
My story doesn't have an ending yet because, like you, I'm in the midst of knee issues.  I did however, after my first surgery to repair cartilage (microfracture) run my fast sheltie for about 3 years.  I've now had a second microfracture surgery done (different spot) and have not been able to run since.
However, I belong to a Yahoo list called "agility knees" that has umpteen people who have had knee replacements and are out there running!  Granted, distance work does become a necessity and that last minute front cross isn't going to work well, but one gal (in her late 60's or early 70's) just competed with her two fast Borders in the AKC National Agility Championships.....There are videos of her.  She's got great distance handling, but admits there are courses out there that she just can't qualify on.
If you are a die hard agility fan, I suggest joining that group and asking questions there.  There's a lot of talk about "running" vs protecting the implant, etc.  Some docs are adamantly opposed, some see it no different than gentle doubles tennis or ballroom dancing, both activities supposedly ok for certain knees.

Run clean, run fast -

marjan

Offline Julie42

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 09:28:09 AM »
Many thanks Marjan.

I will join the agility knees. Its nice to know I am not alone. I will really miss agility if I have to give it up altogether.

Offline WyrDachs

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 02:13:41 AM »
Yes, you can run dog agility.  I know quite a few women who have had TKR's who are still running.  I just had my 2nd scope on my RK and I'm going in June for a 2nd scope on my LK.  Take notice of the ladies (and some men) running their dogs...all the knee braces :)   I did enter a trial a weekend before my next scope and I'm so looking forward to it. 

There's a yahoogroup called agilityknees, that you may find helpful.

I actually "ran" my dog last night in training class...well, I didn't actually run, I literally walked, but it was a good opportunity for us to work on distance.

I think I would run on peglegs if I had to  ;D

As for running your reall fast BC.  If he doesn't already have it, work on independent obstacles and distance work.  Believe it or not, I have a standard dachshund that thinks he is a BC.  I can not outrun him.  When I got him as a pup, I already had 2 scopes and knew there would be no way I could keep up, so we worked distance, distance and more distance.  Last night, I pretty much stood in the middle of the course and directed him.

Maryanne
Dog handler needs new knees
Maryanne

Offline sunnys123

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 11:54:52 PM »
Yes it could be cured this way and i can help, mail me the reports that have been taken by now and the current situation. Let me know hows is it right now.
--------
Back Exercises

Offline danetrainer

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 12:20:34 AM »
Hi, there is a lady here in Colorado that has only one leg and she keeps up with her dog, ( I forget if it is a shelty or a cattle dog) so go for it! We can't stop doing what we love, find a way.

Offline AgilBT

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 02:24:20 PM »
Just joined this group. I had bi-lateral knee replacement in 2007.  I have been doing agility since recovery.  It has been very challenging with my very fast dog who works at a distance.  I run but not fast and so far it has been okay.  There are others in my area who are a lot younger and thinner who are doing well too.  I believe that I would be more successful with a slower dog that runs a little ahead than one who runs way ahead.  LOL. Only thing I can say is give it a try!  You are the only one who can know how you feel.  Good luck!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 10:29:35 AM by The KNEEguru »

Offline debbieo

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Able to will brain energy into muscles and limbs
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 03:32:14 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNRgxcKRjHI

Search Bubbasmom for more on her recovery journey.
Hopefully you will be able to do this too!
Wonder Woman
tkr 9.14.09  tibia fracture 04
As Lovely as Aphrodite—as Wise as Athena and the strength of Hercules—she is known only as Wonder Woman, but who she is, or whence she came, nobody knows!  
I WILL NOT BE DEFINED BY WHAT I CAN NOT DO!
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=48797.0

support