Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Tibia screw removal  (Read 6438 times)

Offline fergy

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Tibia screw removal
« on: August 26, 2009, 02:27:42 PM »
I know this has been asked and answered before, but a search fails to find much about ACL tibia screw removal.  Mostly what I've seen is about TTT screw removal, so I'm asking again...

Does anyone have any idea how long it takes to recover from a titanium screw removal from the tibia?  I will be having this procedure December 1 and doc says 1 week, 2 weeks max.  But she's the same doctor who said I could be roller skating in February.  6 months later and I'm still not skating... ;D  so I take everything she says with a huge grain of salt.

I've read people walk around the next day, but I want to know when approximately one can return to full activities after this procedure.  I'm scheduling dance gigs and would like to have some idea of when I can begin dancing again.  Again, doc says 1-2 weeks but I'm very skeptical...

Input appreciated, thanks!

1960s-style go go dancer
Bicycle accident (not my fault, grr) 4 Sept 08
Left knee- ACL, 2 meniscus tears, MCL tear
ACLr (allograft achilles tendon) 31 October 08

Offline imclumsy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Tibia screw removal
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 02:22:25 PM »
Hi Fergy,
I agree that there isn't much info on this particular subject.  I hope that I can help a little.  I had my ACLr 4 years ago.  I realized that my screw had backed out a couple of months ago.  It wasn't imperitive that it be removed but when I would bump it there was a lot of pain so I figured that I would have it taken out and get it out of the way.

Anyway....I am having surgery on the 22nd and will let you know how things go, if that will help.  I was told, like you, that recovery would take about 1to 2 weeks provided there was no complications which he said is highly unlikely.  I have a job that requires me to stand in one place up to 8 hours at a time and it definately isn't as active as dancing so I am not sure if our experiences will be similar but at least I can tell you what it is that I feel and what I am able to do.

Also, I was told that I could walk out, after out patient surgery, with the help of crutches.  So, I will post again after I have that done on the 22nd.
Hope this helps.

Offline dancer49

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
  • Focus, patience and determination moves mountains!
    • Branding4Newbies
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 05:17:08 PM »
Fergy- sorry to hear about the screw removal- hopefully you will be more
comfortable after and I know you'll heal quickly- you are just too talented
to stay sitting down!!! HUGS and let us know how it all goes sweetie!!!
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Oct. 8, 2008 ACL tear
Dec. 11, 2008 ACLr plus 2 Mid & Lateral Meniscal Repairs

Offline fergy

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 08:44:49 AM »
Thanks!!!  I really hope it helps.  Some days I can't even bend my knee without feeling that awful, painful pinching feeling.  Feels like there's a vice grip inside of my leg  :(

Hope you're doing well!!!
1960s-style go go dancer

Offline dancer49

• Forum Faithful
    • Branding4Newbies
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 02:26:48 PM »
Fergy- My knee gets stiff on some days and others it's just fine- depends on what I do or don't do...
sorry to hear about the 'pinching' feeling! Hope the screw removal will be the answer- mine were
dissolving so they are prob part of me now! (weird huh?)

Check out my latest post- I put me dancing with my son on YOUTUBE! :-0!!!
:-)
Oct. 8, 2008 ACL tear

Offline dancer49

• Forum Faithful
    • Branding4Newbies
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 03:00:53 PM »
You said on my site that you aren't doing much balance stuff, but I find I can do some every day somehow
no matter where I am. If I stand in line, I just lift my other leg up. If I'm near a curb I walk on it back and forth, up and down, I'm doing more walking on grass, gravel, small hills with gravel- I pay lots of attention though. Plus, my rebounder really helped with that too. I def slacked off this summer, mostly did walking, but starting to get back in the groove now. Do the balance thing where ever you can, really makes a huge dif in your confidence!
Oct. 8, 2008 ACL tear

Offline lilhippie1

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 05:30:42 PM »
Hey Fergy!

I had my femoral screw removed so take this for what it is.  I had my screw removed on a Thursday and was back at work on Monday and off crutches a couple days later.  I think no more than a week later I was back to "normal."  From what I was told my surgery was a little more extensive than normal screw removal so hopefully you'll be back dancing even sooner.

Good luck!

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination. --Oscar Wilde

Offline fergy

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 10:10:37 AM »
Thanks so much, lilhippie1!  That's very good to hear.

Dancer49, good advice.  I'll try that.  Thank you!!!

Dancing does help with the balance, I must say!  I almost got booted off the stage accidentally by an overzealous band member, but I managed to keep my footing.  Yippee!
1960s-style go go dancer

Offline feeny

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 27
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 11:19:43 AM »
Hi Fergy,

Every single post I have read here from people over the years who have had screw removal has been that it is an uncomplicated easy procedure.
I had a friend who had his removed - with no lingering effects and a fast recovery.

A few days sounds about right, all things going well.

As for balance exercises, 4 years on I still spend 1 training session a week focussing on balance / proprioception exercises. I believe it is the reason that I don't get non-contact injuries any more! I still suffer from getting clubbed in the leg by a vicious tackle same as anyone else, but at least I know what went wrong :)

Feens.
Sep-05 ACL rupture, Medial mensical tear, MCL rupture
Oct-05 Had it all repaired (hamstring graft, meniscal rivet)
-and then-
4.5 Months post-op Snowboarding like a demon
7 Months post-op Successful return to indoor soccer (YEH!)
-and then-
Mar-2015 Arthroscopy to fix meniscus

Offline dancer49

• Forum Faithful
    • Branding4Newbies
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 02:28:54 PM »
Fergy- Best of luck to you. Post soonest and let us know how you make out.  ;) :)
Oct. 8, 2008 ACL tear

Offline fergy

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2009, 03:26:42 PM »
Thanks, Dancer!  It's almost my 1 year "anniversary" of my ACLr... if I have time I'll post about my progress.  Screw removal is set for December 1... wish me luck!  ;D ;D ;D
1960s-style go go dancer

support