Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Scar tissue after TTT?  (Read 1497 times)

Offline Sharon

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
Scar tissue after TTT?
« on: November 01, 2002, 09:36:43 PM »
Hi everyone,
I'm a little less than 4 months post-op from my TTT/LR and I've been told by my PT that I most likely have some kind of a problem relating to scar tissue that's really hindering my ROM progress. I've also been having alot of pain in the last few weeks as well. It's pretty much the same pain I had before the surgery and I'm in pain most of the time. Could scar tissue be the cause of my pain too? I'm just really worried because I was pain free for about 2 months after the surgery and it's been going downhill since then. It's really scaring me!! I've never had scar tissue problems with my other surgeries so I don't really know what kinds of problems it can cause. I'd really appreciate any help!! Thanks!

Sharon
Left knee:
LR-5/99 & 9/01
Distal realignment and LR 7/02
TTT revision 6/03
screw removal/MUA 10/03
d/x with severe patella baja
7/05 patellar tendon replacement w/piece of quad tendon
4/07 OATS

Offline Tizzy953

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • Go AZ D-Backs/Cardina ls
Re: Scar tissue after TTT?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2002, 10:35:11 PM »
Sharon,
Scar tissue can put pressure on a lot structures in the knee and force them into positions that is not natural or intended.  There is someone else in this forum, Heather M., who has had her fair share of problems with scar tissue and the reprocussions it has caused.  I would say she is the best person to talk to you about this.  If your PT thinks that this is hindering your ROM then it could also be causing the pain in your knee.  Ask your OS the next time you go in.  If it is scar tissue, your OS can fix it through arthroscopic surgery.  I know that is the last thing people want to do, but if it helps....
Hope things get better,
Kenzie
11/93-R ankle recon; 10/94-L ankle recon, 2/96-R shoulder stabilization+3 screws, 2/97-dislocated jaw, 11/99- LR L knee, 5/02-diagonstic scope L knee, 1/14/03- TTT+LR L knee, 9/9/03-L knee hardware removal, cartilage cleanup

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 13
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2002, 11:14:22 PM »
Sharon,

Your story sounds very familiar...I've rehabbed well for about 2 months, then gone downhill as the adhesions hardened and started pulling things out of place.  If they are impeding your ROM, they can DEFINITELY be causing your pain--what does your OS say?  I've found the pain to be relentless and saw a doctor today for long term pain management--adhesions really hurt, as does the articular cartilage damage that they cause! I've got a somewhat unusual case in that I had nearly full ROM but still lots of pain.  However, as time progressed my ROM slowly disappeared.  I'm now at 115 with a great deal of pain and snapping, and I believe surgical indications are for less than 125 degrees of flexion.  If you are 90 or below your OS will definitely suspect adhesions.

Just so you know, I'm very probably looking at a TTT as well.  The OS's that I've seen have warned me that mine would most likely be a two stage process--TTT, then a scope for scar tissue 4-6 months after that.  It's one of the most common complications of TTT surgery, and I get adhesions just from a scope!!

You might also want to talk to SueJ--she had a Fulkerson and just had her scar tissue removed with a scope.  I think she's doing a lot better, still rehabbing though.

I will be out of town until Tuesday, but you can drop me a message if you'd like.  I go to see Dr. Steadman in Vail next Thursday to address my own scar tissue problems--I'll let you know what he has to say.

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline SueJ.

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • Hello!
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2002, 07:31:07 PM »
HI,
Yes I 've had a scar tissue problem also!
I had my Fulkerson/LR/MR done in May of this year.
I never reallly regained more than 90 range. (I think with two PT"S I did hit 100 once but I was in a lot of pain) but on my own just normal walking and such I think it was about 90. The first few months they just kept pushing and thinking it would come eventually. It was a slow process to get me to 90. I can remember thinking 70 was great progress!
But lucky for me the scar tissue never really gave me much pain.(Except with bending beyond my range of course) My OS started talking about a possible scar tissue problem when I saw him 1 month post-op.
I had alot of swelling and inflamation, He wanted to make sure my range wouldn't  come on it's own, and it wouldn't be a good idea to more surgery on someone with a scar tissue problem while the knee is still inflamed. Because it's the inflamation that is part of the scar tissue formation.
So I went back to work and did the therpy. Just a few weeks ago I had the scope to remove the scar tissue and he had to redo the LR because the LR scars back down also. Things are going good, I woke up with more range than I had when I went in! It's so cool!!!
The one good thing about him waiting so long to do this scope was that he was able to remove my screws from the TTT. So that's one less surgery to count on in the future. I'm now at 130 on my own, walking is even easier. I guess I limped still before. I'm going back to work in a week. He wanted me to be off at least 4 weeks. The surgery itself was so easy compaired to the TTT. I think after going through such a big open surgery that the scope seems so much better! I was only on crutches for a day. I took Vicodin regulary the first few days, only because i wanted to make sure I didn't lose any range I just got back. He put me in a CPM machine and had me on oral steriods all to reduce inflamation and thus reduce scar tissue formation.
Then two weeks after he drained my knee and gave me a steroid injection in the knee. Which really helped because it was really swelling and warm again.
Hopefully things will continue to go well for me.
Next time you see your OS mention it , he's probably already thinking about doing something but the timing has to be right.
Write me anytime if you have any questions
Sue
TTT left knee May 17, 2002;  Arthroscopy with Lysis of adhesions,  revision of LR and screw removal left knee 10-10-02.

support