Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Lateral Release - early postoperative issues  (Read 2042 times)

Offline tbeck

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Lateral Release - early postoperative issues
« on: October 29, 2002, 08:20:07 AM »
I am almost 2 weeks post op and feeling slightly better, but I have some questions and need some help. My swelling was beginning to decrease some and I woke up this morning and my knee was much more swollen again.  I also am still on my crutches some of the time (any extended walking or standing-like over 15 yards) and when I do put any weight on my leg it makes a loud and painful popping sound. About an hour ago I got the sensation that my patella slid out again but went back in quickly, is this possible?  My flexion has maybe improved to 40 to 45 degrees but I cant put any weight on my leg and try to bend it because it willcompletelt give out.  My therapy has not started yet due to workers comp not returning my calls or pt calls for approval and I am getting frustrated!  I am concerned due  to the high levels of pain and loud painful noises without even bending my leg, is this normal?  Any advice or past experiences would be greatly appreciated>
« Last Edit: October 30, 2002, 11:26:07 AM by admin »
LR on right Knee 10/17/02 plica and cartilage cleanup 12/2001, 4 scopes left knee for plica and medial meniscus issues from 4/1992-2/2000

Offline luckygirl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
Re: LR update
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2002, 10:26:23 PM »
I had a LR on my L knee 4 weeks ago.

1. My doctor said the swelling can last 2 - 3 months. Some days I will wake up and it looks like I have a normal knee, other days it will be really swollen - I just try elevate it and keep it iced as much as possible.

2.  You really should try to start therapy as soon as you can - will help you get more range of motion back and build up those muscles!

3. I am going on 4 weeks post-op and I am still on my crutches which bothers me - lots of weight on my leg and it feels like my kneecap dislocates. My doctor told me this is common - when your knee is swollen and filled with fluid - your kneecap is just swimming around in there - so it is possible for it to dislocate. Also - until you are able to build up those thigh muscles to help hold that kneecap - you could continue to have the problem.

I wish you the best of luck in your recovery. Just remember - you are not alone. I am just 2 weeks a little further along than you! :)  There is a light at the end of the tunnel - I am sure of it!
"You cannot climb uphill by thinking downhill thoughts."
LR on L knee 10/03/02

Offline AC

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2002, 12:13:44 AM »
I am 6.5 weeks post-op.

1)  I still have a puffy swelling, but the fluid swelling is finally gone.  This can take a long time.  Don't worry about it.  Mine would get better and then get worse, etc.  It takes a long time to go down considerably.

2)  Even if you don't have PT yet, you should rehab at home.  By 2.5 weeks post op I had full ROM and I also had a complication of a blood clot to throw me off!

3)  I also had some subluxion when I started walking after surgery, but this went away as I strengthened my quad.

4)  I was off crutches/cane completely by 2 weeks.  For the first week I was non-weight bearing but only because of my blood clot, and in the second week I went quickly from partial weight bearing - crutches, then a cane then off.  Take your time, but the sooner you start using your quad, the sooner it will get strong again and your pain will go down and so will the subluxion.

Good luck, it gets easier.

PS Once the swelling starts to go down, your pain will increase, this is normal.
Lateral Release along with patella cleanup and bone spur shaving - Early September 2002 - Had a blood clot (DVT) as a complication.
TTT, Scope, and LR in mid June 2003.

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2002, 01:07:52 AM »
Sounds to me like you are coming along well. I had my LR April 8th 2002. I was on crutches completely not weight bearing for almost 4 weeks.  The swelling. well it's still puffy but it went away about 2-3 months post op.   :( The popping noises, could go away with the swelling. I think most importantly you need to get to Physio, it's on of the most important parts of the LR surgery. Your Quads atrophy at an amazing rate, and you need to get working on those, it also is huge to have a PT monitoring you while you are recovering. Dont' try to do to much. I still have trouble bending down, with weight  on my leg and I am almost 7 months post op; be careful. Hope you get into PT soon, it's so important to he outcome of the surgery, do you have some exercises to work on at home?
Take care Hugs and healing
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline tbeck

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2002, 09:34:19 AM »
thanks all for your words of encouragement.  I have been doing straight leg raises on my own and have been calling workers comp daily for the last week along with my PT and doctor and no one will respond.  I am extremely frustrated with them and told them today that I need to start my therapy immediately so I can get back to work.  I hope the painful popping goes away soon and was off crutches for the majority of the day and took it real easy.   Does anyone have a timetable the the approx. return to work for regular duty as a policeman?  I will need to be able to run and bend and basically be close to normal.  Thanks again
LR on right Knee 10/17/02 plica and cartilage cleanup 12/2001, 4 scopes left knee for plica and medial meniscus issues from 4/1992-2/2000

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 115
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2002, 11:23:32 AM »
I am almost 2 weeks post op and feeling slightly better, but I have some questions and need some help. My swelling was beginning to decrease some and I woke up this morning and my knee was much more swollen again.  I also am still on my crutches some of the time (any extended walking or standing-like over 15 yards) and when I do put any weight on my leg it makes a loud and painful popping sound. About an hour ago I got the sensation that my patella slid out again but went back in quickly, is this possible?  My flexion has maybe improved to 40 to 45 degrees but I cant put any weight on my leg and try to bend it because it willcompletelt give out.  My therapy has not started yet due to workers comp not returning my calls or pt calls for approval and I am getting frustrated!  I am concerned due  to the high levels of pain and loud painful noises without even bending my leg, is this normal?  Any advice or past experiences would be greatly appreciated>

It is important that you start your own PT, or the lateral release will stand a poorer chance of being successful.  You could start static quads and patellar mobilisations, and also mild active flexion and extension exercises lying if you are not able to bear weight properly. Ask the team for advice about progressing from there. There are some exercises explained on the main kneeguru site if you click on the label 'exercise bandwagon'
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk

Also it has been very helpful to have each person on the board add their diagnosis and operation details to each post, so that we can put their comments into context.  To do this, click the 'profile' button at the top of the page and enter the details in the section marked 'Signature'. Then it will automatically appear in both your new posts and your old ones.
--
KNEEguru

Offline tbeck

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
Re: Lateral Release - early postoperative issues
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2002, 07:20:45 AM »
Thanks for the exercise advice, I really appreciate it.  I finally recieved authorization to begin pt this afternoon and looking forward to seeing where I am at.  I felt a little better most of the day but pain and swelling along with painful popping returned again.  Hopefully pt will address this issue.  I will post how my first day goes.

Iona_-Uk

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2002, 04:06:34 PM »
Hope the PT goes well andhope you don't feel too bad after.

Love Iona x

Offline luckygirl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2002, 04:49:01 PM »
Good luck at PT! It might not feel great at first - but I always feel so much better after I go! Let us know how it went!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2002, 04:49:22 PM by luckygirl »
"You cannot climb uphill by thinking downhill thoughts."
LR on L knee 10/03/02

Offline tbeck

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2002, 10:13:25 AM »
hi all, I had my first PT session and it went fairly well.  He gave me a bunch of exercises to begn my rom improvement as well as gentle strenthening.  My extension was 0 degrees and flexion was 68 degrees with a lot of pain and pushing for it to go that far.  The pt was concerned somewhat by the noises my knee was making everytime I put any weight on my leg but was not going to commit to what it could be.  I was a little more sore at first but later on the pain and swelling incresed quite a bit.  Today I felt very stiff and sore in the morning, better this afternoon now very sore again tonight which seems to the norm.  I just need to keep on going and hopefully all will be alright.