Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Synvisc One  (Read 20847 times)

Offline Softball247

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Synvisc One
« on: August 25, 2009, 07:55:20 PM »
I just had the shot in my left knee about 3-4 weeks ago and so, far I dont feel much of a difference. I am very active and this was one of the ideas my doctor had to help with the pain and lack of fluid in my knee. I have another meniscus tear and am not crazy about having surgery number 5 and neither is my doctor. Id like to know if any one else has had the shot and how you feel?

Thanks
1996- L knee surgery ro repair torn meniscus
1997-L knee torn acl repaired
2005-L knee surgery to remove scar tissue and lateral meniscus
2008-L knee lateral menisectomy
2010-L knee lateral menisectomy and chondroplasty
2015-L knee lateral menisectomy,chondroplasty, and partial synovectomy

Offline elizabethb

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Synvisc One
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 08:47:29 PM »
I had a series of 3 shots in both knees in July.  I don't feel any better.  In fac the first one was really hard on my right knee.  I was totally unable to walk or get around for a few days after.  All of the shots were very painful and I now have a sense of a catch or something weird with my left knee - like it is going to give out.  I know people that have had these shots and think they are miracles.  They just didn't work for me and I would never have them again.  I am scheduled for a bilateral Conformis iForma procedure next month.  Maybe my knees were just too far gone for any benefit.

Offline lostandhopeles

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 09:05:33 PM »
I had a series of 5 injections one a week for 5 weeks. the Dr. said it will take 5 weeks to feel the differance. Following the 5 weeks I think there was a small improvment. The injections were not painful.

Offline Penny W

• Regular Poster
  • Be weird whenever you have the chance
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 10:21:12 PM »
I had the series of 3 many times the relief was very gradual I didn't realize how much they helped until the pain started coming back at about 5 to 7 months.When I first had them I said never again I felt they were to painful but when the pain started back I changed my mind.

I hope you notice some relief soon.
June 2003 L knee scope with the holes for tissue regeneration
Sept 2003 R knee scope
March 2005 L foot cyst removed
June 2006 Broke L ankle 2 plates 18 screws
Feb 2007 L ankle scar tissue removal
Nov 2007 Plate broke in ankle removed and replaced with bone putty
Dec 2008 R knee TKR w/lat rel.

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 02:05:52 AM »
These shots are a bandaid.  I believe cortizone shots help the pain issues alot more.  I noticed when the supplements wear off the bone pain and stiffness are more apparent.   I had one knee too far gone to have the shots to work but they still took away the ice pick jabs that brought down the pain levels prior to a TKR and than my left knee I been having the shots for the last 3 years. I do not have a day that is pain free per say but the pain is reduced enough for me to say I can deal with what I have for now .. I dont need to have the surgury of last resort yet.    I often think people are most shocked when they have the TKR bcos they go from moderate pain to flat on your ass insane pain.     I had flat on my lass insane pain prior to my TKR and I tell you I was on the struggling level for a year prior.  So there you have it..  The key is to accept the pain you currently have until your at the point were your thinking replacing a body part with metal cant be any worse from where you are now.

Offline highland3

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 03:14:29 AM »
I too had a series of 3 shots in each knee.  Very painful to have done and they didn't do much of anything.  Maybe a SLIGHT improvement... but not enough!

Offline Treathouse

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 01:58:48 PM »
I had Synvisc One a few weeks ago!  Hurt like HELL!!! It was much worse than the 3 injections for me.  Perhaps because of 60cc's of fluid going into each knee. Dr. said there might be some cramping with the fluid going in since the fluid needs to warm up to body temp.  He was right! Cramped really bad. 

After he did my left knee, he went to the right.  Either I was in so much pain from the first shot or he just plain did this one right, but I only felt the needle go in. No cramping, no pain...nothing.  I asked him if he was giving me the same thing..lol  I did have the "catching" sensation in my knees for a few days until the fluid found a place to go.  Then.....it had been nice!  I still had everyday aches and pains, but the deep joint throbbing had gone.

Althought the past 4-5 days my left knee pain has started coming back. :(  I will also say that I have had at least 3 different series of the 3 synvisc injections.  I guess they did about the same as this one.  None of them have ever lasted a great deal of time....certainly never 6mos!!!
Cortisone always seems to calm things done, but also never a lasting result!

I would love to also hear from other who have had this NEW version of Synvis....Synvisc One!

Lisa
1987-scope partial medial meniscectomy and plica  1991 scope medial meniscus (recurrent tear)  2000 Reconstruction anteromedial rotatory instability for recurrent meniscal tear. 2004 scope partial medial meniscectomy and now another debridement with possible LR 1/23/07

Offline lady

• Forum Faithful
  • live well laugh often love much and play hard
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 11:47:14 AM »
I have heard that the more hylan injects you get the more painful they are. It does seem to be true with my expericne. I am planning on having th synvisc one for the first time in Nov. It will be my 4th try with the injections. The first try worked for 5 months the others did not at all. Infact I had a bad reaction the second time around and then went to orthovisc. I keep trying and hopeing.

Good luck to you all who are trying it.
dislocated patella and chopped off most of chondal 1985
chondroplasty/medial meniscus repair 1996
ACI  quater size defect-surgery failure
lateral meniscus repair2002
chondroplasty, lateral Meniscectomy2006
synvisc & orthovisc injections 2008/2009
drained and cortizone injection 2008

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 05:39:01 AM »
been having them over the last three years in my left knee. sometimes they hurt like hell and sting for hours after.. sometimes they do not hurt..  I joke and tell my OS to get the right spot or else he is on the line for getting kicked.

I would not get them again prior to going on vacation or doing alot of outdoor activity like biking .. ect.

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 03:18:32 AM »
I am set to get my sixth round of five shots of supartz this week.. That makes it three years or so of getting them.   Three more years of natural knee.    I must say I only had one bad inflamation period  after going on vacation.   And well if I had several hours of discomfort afterwards.    These injections are not a cure..  just a bandaid.. to lower the pain levels.   

Offline gahall60

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2009, 01:24:19 AM »
A week and half ago I had Synvisc One injected in my left knee.  I have not seen any difference as yet and wonder how long people have waited before any difference is seen.  I know the info says it would be three to four weeks but I would like to see some little difference.  Guess I put too much hope in it.  Does anyone else have any experience?

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2009, 01:58:10 AM »
give it a little time to absorb in and marinate.   Let me tell you..I had one knee implant.   Not nearly as easy as waiting for an injection to start working.   I just finished my fifth injection of supartz.    Waiting till it settles in.  Today I am wishing I had a cortizone shot last week.     This pain wont break me... I have an ice bag and know how to use it...     

wait a few days .. follow up with your OS  if your pain levels are at .. " trying to saw your knee off" kinda pain exists.   Ice..  bone on bone pain best friend..   second best friend is  pain killers and lidocaine patches..

The only person who feels this pain is you.. so if your still feeling way too uncomfortable.. ring up your doctor..   There is no prize for taking the pain.   No trophy for existing in pain.      all folks will say  to you is what a shame you know what pain is. ..   knee pain is one of those chronic pains..    it all comes down to how much you can cope with what you have..  and quality of life.  .. and the word patience is tossed at us right and left.. but there comes a point where you have tried all that is out there and you start pulling your OS by his tie and than they know you have lost your mind in so much pain ...  that they hear ya..

just kidding about grabbing ties.  kicking them works better.  :)

Offline gahall60

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2009, 01:16:36 PM »
Thanks  so much Plumb for your encouraging reply.  I will patiently wait and see what happens. 

Offline TIBBAR

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • Keep em Guessing?????????????
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2009, 07:54:38 PM »
A lady I work with just told me yesterday that her husband had the new Synvisic One a few weeks ago. His OS told him all you need is one because it is a lot thicker lubercant than the the old one. It could last up to 6 mo.  He went on vacation for 2 weeks and had no pain or trouble walking. His wife said she could not believe how much it helped . They were about to cancel their vacation because he could not walk. He even shed his cane.

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2009, 07:34:33 PM »
I am so glad to hear a positive outcome for the Synvisc One shot.  My os has ordered it and I should be getting it next week.  At this point I've got the attitude - I'll try it!  I'll report back after I receive the injection.  eagle

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2009, 06:50:52 PM »
I'm back from getting my Synvisc One injection.  Let me put this as politely as possible, this hurt like hell!!! And that seems mild to the level of hurt!  (I'm pretty tough but man o man, this was something.)  Almost immediately my quad went into severe spasms.  Dr said that is simply my body not liking the injection.  I'm to take it easy for 48 hours then slow try to "exercise."  When I went to stand up I couldn't believe the pain / stiffness / spasms my leg was doing.  Its a good thing my other half was there to help me to the car.  I will say its been several hours and some of the immediate swelling from the fluid has gone but the quad is screaming.  Sure hope this helps.  Doc said you can have as many of these are you want every 6 months.  At this point I'm thinking "no never again."  That is until I get relief then I'm sure I'll think about possibly doing again.  Time to ice.  eagle

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2009, 02:04:51 AM »
It is a toss up ..  These injections vs cortizone injection into the hip joint under a floroscope. 

I am so used to the knee injections now. Doesnt phase me but for a minute.    Still my OS is on the watch out for a kick from my free leg.

It's been a full two weeks since my last  shot and my knee is feeling like crap.   Since I got the hip cortizone I decided to wait a month for my knee cortizone.. What a crap decision..   that was..  Cortizone is the wonder drug in all this.

I think it is the colder climate here in New Jersey. Winter knee is always a beast .. Summer knee was not that bad.

Ice helps alot for all knee woes.   

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2009, 04:34:19 AM »
I had the shot on Wed. and this is Friday evening.  The huge immediate fluid swelling is gone (thank goodness) but this quad pain is still there.  The huge muscle on top of the quad is spasming and twitching ALL the time.  Its VERY tight and not comfortable at all.  Anyone else have this?  Frankly the knee is sore in a totally different way then prior to the shot - gad, change one thing for another.  Of course I realize its 3 days, just hoping for a quick miracle! eagle

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2009, 02:44:46 PM »
Each shot has always been different for me.  sometimes I luck out .. sometimes i dont.   I think the more you get them the sensitivity weens. 

Ice helps ..   

Offline nanci

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2010, 02:11:16 AM »
I have Grade 2 OA and on Dec. 10, 2009, I had bi-lateral synvisc-one injections.  The injections didn't hurt too bad, although my knees felt stiff, but I was doing okay...no pain. I am very active, I work out at a gym, I run, but I have not done any workouts since I had the shots due to time contraints.  I was just about ready to go back to the gym when both my knees, out of the blue, swelled up with fluid.  Last week I went to Sports Authority and did a few lunges and squats with some lightweight dumbells.  I also tried the inversion machine for a couple of minutes.  About two days later, which was about a month from the date I received the injections, my knees swelled up with lumps of fluid.  They feel very stiff and irritated.  I went to my doctor and he drianed fluid from the left knee which was just as torturous as he warned it would be, so bad that I didn't have the right knee done.   I am told the "adverse effect" are supposed to present themselves within 48 hours of the shots, so I don't know why this is happening to me a month later.  I have never had fluid in the knees before.  Was it the few exercises I did in Sports Authority that could have brought this on?  I wish I could have been able to go to the gym a few days after the shots to see what would have happened.  I am SO disappointed, and depressed now because I am walking like an invalid in constant pain and I am unable to go to the gym.  It has been five days and the swelling has not gone down.  I will start taking Celebrex as my doctor suggested to see if that will help.  HAS THIS HAPPENED TO ANYONE ELSE OUT THERE??  Nanci   :'(

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2010, 12:17:58 AM »
Arthotech has helped me so much more than Mobic or Celebrex ever did.   

Sorry you had to have your knee drained..  I have never had that happen to me..   

Always had cortizone shots to calm down the inflamation..

Offline digginit

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2010, 03:08:25 AM »
Cortisone...with my now-relplaced knee (which is doing GREAT, btw), I was very quick to pop a cortisone shot in there. Got really efficient at giving them to myself in times of need. When I hit Sawbones up for Synvisc one before this upcoming ski trip, he suggested cortisone. I'm kind of afraid that too many shots in my other knee made it deteriorate as fast as it did. I'm not gonna rule it out with my virgin knee (until itgets the synvisc tomorrow), but I'm a little scared of 'em. I have had quite a few in my shoulder, though, which in all honesty is probably worse. Put a few in my big to mtp joints too. It is pretty quick relief.

Offline nanci

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Synvisc One - NEVER AGAIN!
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2010, 04:56:40 PM »
As of Jan. 27, the swelling from the fluidhas subsided, but my knees are still stiff.  The left knee which I had the fluid drained from is very sore from the needle, so sore that I am limping. I wonder how long the knee will take to heal.  I am SO SORRY that I had Cinvisc-One injections and also sorry that I had the fluid drained from my left knee.  I have been on the Celebrex for three days now, so I will see if that helps.  I never heard of Arthotech or Mobic for that matter, but will ask my Ortho doc about it.  I had to cancel a ski trip this Friday because of my knee pain.  I have not been able to go to the gym yet either or run...very depressing.  I have now been reduced to a "couch potato".  I can't wait for my knee to heal from the effisuion extraction (fluid) and for the swelling to go away totally.  My knee bones feel swollen.  I just hope that when I am able to get back to my normal activity (running and working out), the swelling doesn't return.  I hope I won't be in this condition forever! It certainly feels like it....  I just hope that the Synvisc will totally wash out of my body and has not done any permanent damage.  I want to become active again.  Can anyone say that it does totally wash itself out of the knees and how long does it take?  :'(

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2010, 11:49:24 PM »
I suppose if you push.. Your OS can scope your knee to wash it out and give you a dignosis and photos of what is going on with your knee.   My right knee experience could never compare with my left knee.but what I have noticed over the last 4 years or so of having OA in the left knee.   The pain cycles are always caused by overdoing what my knee can handle.   So I say to my OS time and time again.. What would you have me do .. sit in the house all the time?   If I want to go out and do shopping bad enough..  or in the summer over do it with living life as a person my age should. I know what to expect. = PAIN.   Oddly right now in this cold cold winter.. my knee is loving it.. The fall knee rebellion was squished in Dec by a cortizone shot.  There are some days I do over do it and the ice/arthotech or Vicodin // Lidocaine patches along with sucking it up and owning the pain I knew I would get myself into... It is a nasty cycle of events that I have come to understand and when I go to my OS like a crybaby.   He does offer solutions .. My choices for the knee are limited..  It is pretty much get a left TKR or keep being optimistic that I can roll out of pain for 8 weeks...   My GP stated if I get 4 cortizone shots a year  it is not that bad..  I feel like I am in the office all the time. I am a cash cow for my OS... lol.
I do feel that getting a replacement is the last option.. When I have no place to go but up.

But it is hard to say when is my lowest low..on the knee when I keep rebounding out of painful spurts.. 

I am sorry to read your having such a time with the viscosupplements.  They do not always work but when they do .. It is worth the pin cushion moments... to keep your natural knee.

But don't get me wrong.. there comes a point when you sink  and you go you gotta be kidding me.. and even than folks second guess if it is the right time for a replacement.   

Offline digginit

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2010, 11:56:11 PM »
I don't think there's anything in Synvisc that will cause permanent damage to your knee.  Some people have flare reactions, though, and it sounds like you may be one of those people.  Draining fluid from your knee did not make anything worse either.  Hang in there, Chica.  It'll get better.  

I just had Synvisc One put in my knee about an hour and a half ago.  Sawbones insisited on shooting lidocaine into it first (though i protested...he's been very good to me, so of course I acquiesced). Soon as it was done, the knee obviously felt very full with the extra 6cc's of fluid in there...plus whatever amount of lidocaine he actually put into the joint.  But afterwards, he had me running the halls with him to catch up on life.  We haven't talked in a while.  I had immediate relief walking down stairs, but that's what made me think that some of the lidocaine was intraarticular.  Don't think the Synvisc would make a noticeable difference so fast.  I had good luck with the Orthovisc shots I've had in the other knee, so maybe this will be good too.  He did say there was no way in H*ll that he'd scope this knee after my other one (for whatever reason) deteriorated so fast.  I told him he was right, that there was no way in H*ll I'd let him...lol.  I'll let ya' know how this one goes.  This is early in the knee pain path.  I'm hoping that early on, it'll maybe keep things at bay for a while.

~dig

Offline Softball247

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2010, 09:18:59 AM »
Well I had my second synvisc 1 shot and I feel a little difference. For the last couple of months I have not been able to sleep very well due to my knee pain. The shot has made it easier for me to sleep which is a plus. However, I dont have any relief from walking and other activities. I dont know if I will get another shot because its just so damn painful and not the pain relief I hoped it would be.  :-\
1996- L knee surgery ro repair torn meniscus
1997-L knee torn acl repaired
2005-L knee surgery to remove scar tissue and lateral meniscus
2008-L knee lateral menisectomy
2010-L knee lateral menisectomy and chondroplasty
2015-L knee lateral menisectomy,chondroplasty, and partial synovectomy

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2010, 10:22:02 PM »
It can take up to a month for the shots to be at full effect.  But seriously if your still in pain talk to your OS now maybe you need cortizone and some NSAID

Offline mainer

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2010, 02:09:56 AM »
oops, posted this on an old thread a sec ago,

Got LK and RK Sunvisc-1 5 days ago, knees doing pretty good, great day in the field surveying (for me). Had the three shots 10 months ago and the negative days were getting way ahead of the positive days, so I figured it was time, you all know the routine, tripping over pebbles. etc.

My experience was both knees felt like bee hives with a bunch of angry bees buzzing around for the 1st 5 hours after the shots, and they've  steadily improved since. Worked the next day ok.

Shots didn't really hurt much at all, one knee had 10ccs of fluid though, which ticked me off. Was my good knee before that retched last game of basketball, 18 months ago.....what a dummy. :P

Offline Nalas Nees

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2010, 06:46:33 PM »
 :'( All you guys, I am about ready to throw up...synvisc one shot scheduled at 1:50 today, PDT...and after reading some of these posts, I don't think I can go through with it.  I think I am too chicken.  Been without cartilage in both knees for almost thirty years...last surger was 1981...but can bike (recumbent) and treadmill up hill...just can't go downhill and tennis is out of the question and of course no running...pain wakes me up during the night sometimes...and was thinking this was the answer to my prayers...but I don't want to go backwards...ANY ADVICE?  My tummy hurts.  BTW, weight is good and have given up all foods that cause inflammation...all sugar, white flour, rice and potatoes.  HELP!

Offline Nalas Nees

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2010, 07:03:01 PM »
A lady I work with just told me yesterday that her husband had the new Synvisic One a few weeks ago. His OS told him all you need is one because it is a lot thicker lubercant than the the old one. It could last up to 6 mo.  He went on vacation for 2 weeks and had no pain or trouble walking. His wife said she could not believe how much it helped . They were about to cancel their vacation because he could not walk. He even shed his cane.

I really love this post...after reading so many negative reviews, I kinda wish this person would go with me today.  I want my mommy!  (lol)

Offline Goju

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
    • The Networkers Nest
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2010, 12:36:45 AM »
I also had the Synvisc one shot 3 weeks ago. Hurt like hell is not even close to describing how much it hurt! The pain was incredible. I like to think that I'm pretty good at handling pain, especially after the ACI surgery and osteotemy, but this was intense. Fast forward 3 weeks to today, and I don't think it was worth the pain. I still have pain when walking up and down stairs( more so down ), cracking and popping still, and I can't sleep thru the night. My point isn't to complain, but to share the experience for people who may be on the fence. I should have waited for my next surgery instead.

Offline Kimberly 77

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2010, 09:52:30 PM »
I had the Synvisc one shot about 7 weeks ago. I haven't felt a difference yet. I had high hopes for this shot to work and so far nothing and I think I am out of the game for it to work now. I see OS again on Tues. so well see what he suggest.
Right leg amputee.
Osteoarthritis in left knee.
Medial femoral condyle defect, arthoscopy 8-2-10
Grade 3 defects, patella, medial femoral condyle, tibia scoped1-12-2011
Physical theraphy and awaiting microfrature 2-1-12

support