Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Miserable Malalignment  (Read 1428 times)

Offline Bre

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Miserable Malalignment
« on: August 24, 2009, 10:15:31 PM »
The orthopedic surgeon says I have miserable malalignment. It causes me a lot of pain. I can't even sit in the car without it bothering me. The physical therapist says this is because I have tibial and femoral torsion. My femurs point inwards and my tibias outwards. Surgery is an option but I'm not sure I want to take the leap. It is a lot of recovery and I'm still in school. 

Offline jumpi5d

• Forum Faithful
Re: Miserable Malalignment
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 11:29:09 PM »
Hey Bre. Theres several girls on here with Miserable Malaignment, I do but my angles aren't horrible. A lot of the girls on here have had surgery to fix it.  Are you from the US?

-Paige
-Paige

3/5/09 Right Distal Femoral Osteotomy for Patella Alignment 
11/19/09 Left DFO for Patella Alignment.

Offline doublemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
    • Andi's Website
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 12:00:37 AM »
If you're in the U.S. and considering surgery, there are two top surgeons (probably a few more, but two I can think of off the top of my head) who are absolutely the BEST at dealing with rotation and it would be well worth your while to seek them out since they are the experts.

Surgery is always a hard decision to jump into, you have to weigh out the surgery and rehab with your current quality of life, and unfortunately nobody can make the final decision for you.  I think talking with one or two surgeons who are experienced with this might help you with your decision.  After getting the pros and cons between surgery or just living with it, it would help you make a good decision based on what's best for your life right now.

Andi
2000 R patella dislocation
2004 - Soccer injury - LK medial and lateral meniscectomies
2007 - Dx patellar tilt, lateral subluxation, grade III chondromalacia
5/13/08 - RK medial/lateral meniscectomies & patellar chondroplasty
4/6/2010 - RK TTT/LR scheduled

Offline Bre

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 05:54:24 PM »
Currently I can't even sit in a car for more than a half hour without pain, I can't run, or walk up stairs. I think I'm going to go for the surgery. Yes I am from the US. I'm currently seeing a surgeon who's done a few of these operations. But she says because I'm so petite she'd want to do it in two separate surgeries. One for my femur and tibia on one leg and the same on the other. I'm waiting to get into the gait lab.

Offline Bre

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 03:22:17 PM »
Sorry I couldnt figure out how to send you a personal message clippedwings but i thought id post here for everyones benefit. No i did not get the surgery, however it is still on my list of options. First I saw dr. webber who is the woman who would have performed the operation. I went for a second opinion from dr. fulkerson. He sent me to physical therapy yet again but he tried working on my outer rotator discs or some such thing it had something to do with my hips. He also gave me a prescription for orthotics. It'll help correct the way i walk and hopefully help some of the pain. I havent gotten those yet but im hoping to get them very soon. Dr. Fulkerson is in Farmington, CT. His ideas really helped and im doing much better now it still bothers me but not nearly as much as before. I'm out of therapy now and i believe that as long as i keep up on my excersises i might be able to start participating in gym next year :D

support