Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Falling after knee replacement  (Read 1518 times)

Offline crftyldy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Falling after knee replacement
« on: August 24, 2009, 07:28:39 PM »
I am very new to this type of posting, but, I am very curious to know if there is anyone else who has ever had a bad fall immediately (36 hours) after knee surgery.  I had my left knee replaced and had a continual femoral block done.  The block was very successful, as a matter of fact, they told me I was very rare as it was a 100% block.  No pain!!!  That sounds great, except, I couldn't feel my foot or leg in order to walk.  I wore a total immobilizer to stabilize the leg, but, couldn't make my leg move because I couldn't feel it.  Finally, I demanded that they take out the continual feed to my femor artery.  The doctor wouldn't remove it, but, did allow it turned off.  I finally got some sensation and was able to walk if I could see my foot.  I was so afraid that my rehabilitation was going to be postponed because I was not able to walk.  To make a long story a little shorter.  Approximately 36 hours after surgery, at 1:00 in the morning, I rang for the nurse to go to restroom.  We discussed putting on the immobilizer.  I only wore it when moving.  She said that they would take it off that day as I was scheduled to go home and immobilizers were taken off before going home.  I got up with my walker and felt my knee give a little a couple times.  We continued to restroom.  When I started to sit down on the commode, I completely lost my balance and fell to my right onto the bathroom floor.  It felt as though something gave, but, I had no pain.  My knee was bent behind me somewhat and I straightened my leg.  Actually hip walked over to the handicap bar so I could try to assist the two nurses that lifted me off of the floor with the gait belt.  Once in a standing position, I tried to put weight on my leg, but, it wouldn't hold me.  Wheeled me back to bed, put on immobilizer and waited for x-rays at 7:00 that morning.  Had to have trauma surgery for a broken femor.  Received steel plate with eleven screws and was completely non-weight bearing for 3 months.  I feel that if I would have had on my immobilizer I might not have fallen or at least wouldn't have broken my femor.  Fortunately my knee is not stiff and works pretty well considering I couldn't start bending it for almost 10 days after surgery.  The CPM machine was a life saver and I worked very had in home therapy to make sure I could use my knee.  This was a very traumatic time  for me and my family.  I was just wondering if anyone else has had this experience and if so, what their prognosis was on their knee.  I'm sorry this is so long.  While my knees might not work so great, my mouth has no problems at all, or in this case my typing fingers!!! lol.  Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Offline Penny W

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • Be weird whenever you have the chance
Re: Falling after knee replacement
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 10:00:46 PM »
I haven't fallen but I just wanted to say I hope you are doing better now I couldn't imagine having a broken femur and a knee replacement you must be very strong.

I also hope you were treated like a queen after all you have been thru that was very bad judgement on the hospitals part

Good Luck and hope everything is healing well. :)
June 2003 L knee scope with the holes for tissue regeneration
Sept 2003 R knee scope
March 2005 L foot cyst removed
June 2006 Broke L ankle 2 plates 18 screws
Feb 2007 L ankle scar tissue removal
Nov 2007 Plate broke in ankle removed and replaced with bone putty
Dec 2008 R knee TKR w/lat rel.