Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: microfracture recovery time...  (Read 3314 times)

Offline amr1809

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
microfracture recovery time...
« on: August 21, 2009, 01:03:02 PM »
35 Yr old male. Due to have Microfracture end of year. Diagnosed Osteochondral defect on medial femoral subcondyle plus extruded medial meniscus but not torn or ruptured. Postponing surgery due to work commitments (self-employed). Can anyone enlighten me on recovery period. I was told i will be NWB for 4 weeks. I need to get back to work straight after NWB and my job entails being on feet and walking (1-2miles/day). Am very disipilined/motivated and will be rigid and strict with the rehab protocol. Will i be ok with walking and being on my feet? How soon will i be able to drive (manual transmission)? Any tips on aiding recovery? Any dietary tips to benefit recovery? All advice greatly appreciated.

Offline madel23

• Regular Poster
Re: microfracture recovery time...
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 01:31:02 PM »
It all really depends where in your knee the problem is and who your doctor is.  Rehab protocols for microfracture are all over the map as far as I can tell.  If you have a desk job, I would think you could go back to work right away, but something where you're on your feet all day might be a few weeks.  But it depends on quite a few factors.  Also, healing time is very variable and unpredictable. 

Offline PieceDesigner

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 01:50:45 PM »
I had microfracture in same area, along with TruFit plugs, plus another microfracture spot in the trochlear groove 8 weeks ago. My meniscus was fine.
I am also self employed, and have to do a lot of walking and standing. I have just started being able to work this week (that is doing more than computer/paper work).   Physical Therapy is a MUST.  My quads were mush, but PT has helped get me walking again. I still find myself grabbing the cane on bad days. I'm beginning to have more good days than bad, though. 

Best thing you can do now is strengthen those quads before surgery.

I have a thread called "TruFit Plug surgery 8 days ago" in the Arthritris section.

Good luck!

Nan

Offline amr1809

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 03:03:16 PM »
It all really depends where in your knee the problem is and who your doctor is.  Rehab protocols for microfracture are all over the map as far as I can tell.  If you have a desk job, I would think you could go back to work right away, but something where you're on your feet all day might be a few weeks.  But it depends on quite a few factors.  Also, healing time is very variable and unpredictable. 
Thanks for the advice. I am keeping my quads strong by doing lots quad strengthening exercises. The dmamged knee quad is alot weaker.

Offline derek320

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 05:13:57 PM »
I had a microfracture 2 weeks ago, at my post op I was told that I must be non weight bearing for at least 6 weeks, the next time I see my os will be 8 weeks post op and I am nwb until then. The os told me I would probably be able to walk without pain after around 4 weeks but that walking on the newly forming cartilidge will not allow it to strengthen and grow longer lasting cartilidge. He pointed out that being on crutches that extra time makes the difference on how long the cartilidge lasts before I need another surgery. He told me if I stay dedicated to pt and the 8 weeks nwb that I should be fine for 10-15 years (I'm only 17). It's very important to make sure you follow your surgeons and physical therapists advice closely in order to make sure you recover from this surgery even if it's a long time.
-Left knee history-
Oct 06- injured knee, MRI shows torn meniscus, no action
June 09- knee begins popping, MRI shows large OCD lesion
Aug 09- OCD lesion removed, microfracture surgery, partial meniscectomy
Jan 19- biopsy for MACI, partial meniscectomy
Apr 19- MACI implantantion, meniscus allograft

Offline hurtinbad

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 10:41:09 PM »
wish you well, I just had oats and micro fracture surgery 2 days ago and am just starting the healing process. What you described( about the defect) is what they told me, but once they went in they found the defect to be larger, so be prepared for maybe 6-8 weeks nwb, it sucks when you are self employed and need to make money. Do you have any disability insurance?

Offline John1

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 12:37:12 AM »
It's a gamble. You could still have pain and not be able to be full weight bearing in 4 weeks. There is a chance that you would still need crutches or at least one crutch after 4 weeks. And standing with all your weight on your good leg can get really tiring and you could risk damaging your good leg doing that. I'd say 1-2 miles per day even on crutches would not be too bad, but I'd be more worried if you have to stand a lot. Maybe just hope for the best and worry about things 4 weeks post-op. Good luck.
4/12/05 Arthroscopy: plica removal and medial femoral condyle microfracture (2 cm^2)
11/9/05 Arthroscopy: complete removal of plica, removal of scar tissue on fat pad behind patella tendon and on medial side.

Offline plantgeek58

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 05:46:14 PM »
Microfracture recovery protocols do vary quite a bit from surgeon to surgeon, but in general, it is a very delicate procedure and you need to take it slow and easy if it is to succeed. Pain levels tend to be low, so it's tempting to think that you can return to normal levels of activity quickly, but this can be a mistake. Putting too much pressure too soon on the newly formed cartilage may cause it to fail. I'm afraid returning to work immediately after 4 weeks NWB is unrealistic. As a veteran of 3 microfractures, one of which failed and had to be replaced by an OATS graft, I can tell you that you really need to baby your leg for several months post-op.  My protocol also involved 4 weeks NWB and it took another 3 weeks of working up to FWB before I felt stable enough on my feet to return to work. Like you, I also worked an all-day-on-my-feet job. Returning so soon, however, did me no favors. My leg was still weak, even though I religiously did my home exercises and attended PT twice a week. I was only able to work part time for the next month, but even that caused pain and swelling. I think this might have been the reason my first MFX failed. My advice to you would be, if you really can't be off work for more than 4 weeks, it is probably best to postpone the op until you can.
RK 7/04 part. m. menisc., plica resect., MF
    3/05 part. m. menisc., open OATS
    1/07 part l. menisc., MF, patellar chondroplasty
    9/08 MF
LK 11/04 & 8/06 part m. menisc.
     7/07 LR, patellar tendon debrid., part m. menisc.