Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: FRACTURED TIBIAL SPINE,TIBIAL PLATEAU FRACTURES,TORN ACL AND MCL ALL AT ONCE  (Read 1922 times)

Offline GCULLERE

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
I FELL 2 MONTHS AGO,BREAKING A LARGE PIECE OF MY TIBIAL SPINE AWAY,FRACTURED MY TIBIAL PLATEAU AND TEARING MY ACL AND MCL. I HAD SURGERY AND HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO BEND MY LEG FOR 2 MONTHS AND NO WEIGHT BEARING. I AM GETTING CLOSE TO GETTING THE BRACE OFF AND I AM WONDERING WHAT MY LEG WILL BE LIKE WHEN I CAN BEND IT/WALK ON IT. WILL I HAVE A LIMP, WILL THE SWOLLEN KNEE LOOK NORMAL, WILL I BE ABLE TO WALK UNAIDED? HAS ANYONE HAD THIS EXPERIENCE?THANKS.
P.S. I HAD 2 SPINAL FUSIONS LAST YEAR AS WELL AND I AM ONLY 38!

Offline maryc

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 18
Sorry  you had to join out little "club".  First let me say that all Tibial Plateau Fractures (TPFs) are different and we all heal at our own pace. 
Bending your leg and walking willl require a lot of work on your part.  Rehabbing a TPF is time consuming and requires a lot of patience.  You will need to follow the insturctions of your PT and OS diligently.
That said many of us have make this journey before you and have had good results.
Swelling takes a long time to completely go away.  Even after 2 years I still have occasional swelling if I overdo it.
Sending healing rays your way
8/4/07 fell
8/5 diagnosed TPF
8/6 surgery plate and 6 screws
8/12 out of hospital NWM
8/21 staples removed
9/18 OS appt - WBAT with crutches
10/10 - WBAT with cane
10/27 - back to work w/cane
12/26 - no cane, slight limp when tired
1/25/08 - released from PT, no limp
2/3/09 - Released by OS

Offline GCULLERE

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Thanks. I worry that I haven't bent my leg in so long that it won't bend. I tore out a large part of my tibia(golf ball size) and we don't know how well the repair went until Sept 2. Do you have a limp?
God bless.

Offline maryc

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 18
I don't have a limp anymore, but it took me a good 3 months to lose it once I was weight-bearing.
I know how scary this can be, all you want is for things to be like they were before.  Just take it slow and easy. 
8/4/07 fell
8/5 diagnosed TPF
8/6 surgery plate and 6 screws
8/12 out of hospital NWM
8/21 staples removed
9/18 OS appt - WBAT with crutches
10/10 - WBAT with cane
10/27 - back to work w/cane
12/26 - no cane, slight limp when tired
1/25/08 - released from PT, no limp
2/3/09 - Released by OS

Offline NEVERSLEEP

• Regular Poster
Hi there im almost identical to you, only you had a fracture of your tibial spine, i just had an avulsion of it. Did you need or do you need surgery for your acl and mcl, did you damage your meniscus ? I hurt myself around the same time as you on the 14th June. Read my posts and maybe we can help each other out
14-06-09 Fracture of left lateral tibial condyle, small avvision of tibial spine, grade 3 tear of mcl and acl and damage to lateral meniscus
22-06-09 Mcl repair, meniscus repair + 3 screws to repair Tpf
23-09-09 Brace off released to fwb
16-11-09 3 screws and 2 washers out
27-11-09 Infection