Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Post surgery (cartilage removal) recovery?  (Read 1271 times)

Offline crispyminstral

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Post surgery (cartilage removal) recovery?
« on: August 17, 2009, 10:43:46 AM »
Hi all,

I had an arthroscopy done on Thursday after tearing my cartligage.  Initially the surgeon believed there to be not much damage and/or a cyst after an mri scan, but as I was getting so much pain, they decided surgery was the only answer.  It seems there was a lot more damage than expected and I had a 'considerable, complex tear' so I have been told my recovery may now take longer than first expected, especially for driving, riding and lots of walking which is what my job entails.

I have had a decent weekend where I have mostly rested (I don't think I've slept this much in ages!) but pottered around the house and garden inbetween.  I am currently taking Voltarol 50mg and Codydramol 10/500mg at 4 hourly intervals for the pain and swelling and today is the first day I am not getting too much extra pain, so they seem like they are now managing to mask it sufficiently.  The Voltarol run out tomorrow so I shall just be taking the Codydramol then as and when I need it.  The bandages came off yesterday and the wounds are covered with steristrips and plaster-type things, although one wound which is the one that has bled, seems much hotter to the touch - I assume this is normal?  My knee is still rather swollen, but not horrendous, although I hope that once I finish the anti-inflammatory drugs it doesn't puff up huge again!

So onto my question, I wasn't given a follow up appointment and have been given no exercises or further instructions.  Obviously, my range of movement is rather poor at the moment and I am loathe to try and do too much especially with the amount of pain relief I am on - the last thing I want to do is make it worse and not realise because the tablets are masking it!  As I said I am currently pottering around, then resting for a bit with my leg up, and I wouldn't even dare to drive as it is too sore and inflexible (only have a manual car), but I was wondering if anyone had any good exercises I can try doing and what sort of timeframe I am looking at before trying certain activities - driving, riding, lots of walking and standing?  I have been signed off for this week only, but am 100% sure I'm not going to be ready for 7.5 hours of pure walking next week either, so shall try and get another sick note.  Also, how much should I actually be doing at this stage, I have had conflicting advice and neither want to strain myself or do to little and harm my recovery.

Thanks for reading :)

Christine