Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Why don't they have a small camera on the end of a needle?  (Read 1302 times)

Offline John1

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Why don't they have a small camera on the end of a needle?
« on: August 16, 2009, 10:20:32 PM »
It costs thousands of dollar to simply get an arthroscopy, so why can't they make a very small camera on the end of a needle that a doctor can just stick into the knee to take a look? The needles they use to drain the knee are fairly wide anyway. This would be good to check a specific area to see how much cartilage damage there is or to follow up a few months after surgery.
4/12/05 Arthroscopy: plica removal and medial femoral condyle microfracture (2 cm^2)
11/9/05 Arthroscopy: complete removal of plica, removal of scar tissue on fat pad behind patella tendon and on medial side.

Offline John1

• Forum Faithful
Re: Why don't they have a small camera on the end of a needle?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 05:25:15 PM »
Anyone have any thoughts on this?  ???
4/12/05 Arthroscopy: plica removal and medial femoral condyle microfracture (2 cm^2)
11/9/05 Arthroscopy: complete removal of plica, removal of scar tissue on fat pad behind patella tendon and on medial side.

Offline Jessyca

• Forum Faithful
    • Adventures of a College Student
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 05:39:24 PM »
Isn't arthroscopy a very small camera that lets the doctor take a look in the knee?
February 9, 2006 Fell skiing, knee twisted.
July 12, 2006 Arthroscopic surgery
October 23, 2006 Possible reinjury
January 10, 2007 Arthroscopic surgery
August 13, 2009 Bracing my knee until surgery in January
January 29, 2010 Arthroscopic surgery - LR/debridement

Offline John1

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 12:29:35 AM »
Isn't arthroscopy a very small camera that lets the doctor take a look in the knee?

Yes, but they still need to make incisions and it costs thousands of dollars because they need to use anesthesia and so forth. I'm asking why they can't make an even smaller camera that can be inserted in the need like they insert a needle to drain fluid in a doctor's office. It wouldn't have to look at the whole inside of the knee. I'm thinking like if there is one particular area of cartilage that had microfracture done on it and they want to follow up and see just that area. Stick the needle in, look at that one area and take it out. No risk of infection or major procedure like an arthroscopy. MRI's don't show the detail like an actual camera would. Maybe they already have something like this but I never heard of it.  ???

Offline derek320

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 01:43:14 AM »
I'm sure they will have something like that eventually. They used to have to cut your knee wide open for everything, now they use a really small incision with the arthoscope. I'm sure that they continue to look for ways to make surgery as little invasive as possible. At this point it may cost too much to make a camera that small and still retain a clear picture. Engineers will probably have something better coming up, every year there are lots of medical advances.
-Left knee history-
Oct 06- injured knee, MRI shows torn meniscus, no action
June 09- knee begins popping, MRI shows large OCD lesion
Aug 09- OCD lesion removed, microfracture surgery, partial meniscectomy
Jan 19- biopsy for MACI, partial meniscectomy
Apr 19- MACI implantantion, meniscus allograft

Offline Jessyca

• Forum Faithful
    • Adventures of a College Student
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 03:22:26 AM »

Yes, but they still need to make incisions and it costs thousands of dollars because they need to use anesthesia and so forth.

I know that, I'm having my third scope in a couple months.

I think the problem with a needle is that it is rigid, and so would have a really limited range.
February 9, 2006 Fell skiing, knee twisted.
July 12, 2006 Arthroscopic surgery
October 23, 2006 Possible reinjury
January 10, 2007 Arthroscopic surgery
August 13, 2009 Bracing my knee until surgery in January
January 29, 2010 Arthroscopic surgery - LR/debridement

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 10:58:50 AM »
It would be good if there was such a system for a knee situation like mine as my MRI scan came up normal and tried physio, ultrasound and cortisone injection and all failed so the only option left is to scope the knee. Not looking forward to it for 2 reason my OS does not know whats wrong inside the knee and the general anesthesia, be good if it was that easy to stick a needle inside the knee so OS can see whats going on as you could return to work the same day without too much discomfort. If the OS then finds the problem he can then scope the knee and know's what he looking for.

My main concern about my scope due in october is if he finds nothing wrong inside the knee would then have to recover and have time off work for nothing and waste the NHS money. The knee would then be more prone to arthritus and scar tissue damage which can happen if you have your knee scoped.

I can see some logic in John's idea and who knows one day it may be available and could save time and money on unnecessary scopes. I agree that MRI scan are not always reliable and untrasound is even worse which they also tried out on my knee to spot any potential problems.

Nick :) {2009} :)

RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline John1

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 04:15:30 PM »
Thanks for the replies. Maybe part of the problem is the knee fluid isn't clear so a camera wouldn't be able to see clearly. In an arthroscopy, they pump a clear fluid (water?) into the knee to make things crystal clear. But even still, maybe they could come up with a camera on a needle that can see through the unclear knee fluid.