Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Pop Felt when tearing ACL  (Read 3678 times)

Offline heyannie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Pop Felt when tearing ACL
« on: August 16, 2009, 08:45:56 PM »
I was squatting down working on machinery and when I stood up, I couldn't straighten my left leg completely and the back of my knee felt tight.  I didn't think it was too serious until the swelling was really bad 2 days later and I felt like I had pulled my entire calf muscle.  So an MRI confirmed that I tore my ACL and medial meniscus.  Here is my problem.  With having this injury occuring at work, my company is investigating what happened.  They don't seem to be fighting me on anything since I am a dedicated employee and I am complying with everything they ask.  But now they are saying they think it is a previous injury since I never heard a Pop when it happened.  Almost every story you hear talks about the infamous pop.  So why didn't I feel it?  Also, they wonder how I done so much damage but the accident wasn't a traumatic one.  Any suggestions as to why I never heard a pop or how this could have happened?  I've never had any problems with my knees before.  Or anywhere else for that matter.  This is the worst injury I have ever had.  Could I have torn my ACL before and never known it happened?  Please help I'm so confused.  Thanks.

Offline Mike1968

• Forum Faithful
  • Just hoping for some relief!
Re: Pop Felt when tearing ACL
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 12:22:20 AM »
Hey Annie....LOL "Heyannie"

I have gone through 3 ACL surgeries.  The first one there was a definite POP.  Second one there was a definite POP but was a feeling not a sound.  Third one was nothing at all POP wise.

From every OS I have spoken with (tons over the years) some people will feel a pop, while others will not.  So in MY OPINION, you most certainly could have had this be your FIRST ACL problem without having the POP sensation or sound.

There are also people that can function without an ACL.  There is a lot of reading out there that I came across years ago but have lost the links.  It is "possible" you could have hurt it before but from what I can gather from your post, I would doubt that you did.

Best of luck to you and getting your ACL/meniscus fixed!

Regards,

Mike :)
83-Osgood Schlatters in both knees
90-left knee ACL repair
03-left knee ACL revision (hamstring graft)
04-left knee ACL revision (cadaver graft)
06-left knee arthroscopy
06-left knee ACI and High Tibial Osteotomy
30 June 2009 - Left Knee Total Knee Replacement

Offline heyannie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 03:36:38 AM »
Thanks for your post.  I have been reading up a lot about this subject.  I'm worried about having my first ever surgery and I'm starving for information.  LOL.  I have read that anytime a person would tear their acl whether it be part or whole, that they would experience swelling and pain and problems walking.  Unlike what my workplace thinks, I'm only 25 and I'm pretty sure that I can remember far back enough to know that it has never happened until now.  I understand that some people can live without an acl but only depending on what kind of lifestyle they lead.  I work in a very physically demanding factory.  I carry up to 50lbs every day and do a lot of squatting and pivoting.  I do a lot of turns at the drop of a hat and I know that without an acl that would not be possible without, if nothing else, a lot of pain and possibly my knee giving out.  And like I said before I've never had a problem until then.  I think my job just doesn't want to pay for this because they believe it is impossible for freak accidents to just happen lol.  That would be my luck though hehe.  I just wondered if anyone else knew of cases where someone tore their acl and didn't hear a pop so I could know I wasn't alone.  Well I am scheduled for ACL reconstruction and repair of my medial meniscus on Sept. 2nd.  YAY 26 days before my birthday :(  I'm thinking of starting a diary afterwards so I can share my journey like so many others have prepared me for what I'm looking forward to in the next coming monthes.  Again thanks for the post and any more that come my way.

Offline Mike1968

• Forum Faithful
  • Just hoping for some relief!
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 04:04:26 AM »
heyannie,

I kept a journal and still do with regards to the surgeries I have had.  It helps you see from day one what progress or regression you have had.  It works wonders!  You can also post your information here so that you can share with others in a similar situation.  I hope that your work is not heartless and are looking for a way to "screw" you.  I would like to think that this is not the case.

Best of luck with your surgery and please keep us posted!

Regards,

Mike :)
83-Osgood Schlatters in both knees
90-left knee ACL repair
03-left knee ACL revision (hamstring graft)
04-left knee ACL revision (cadaver graft)
06-left knee arthroscopy
06-left knee ACI and High Tibial Osteotomy
30 June 2009 - Left Knee Total Knee Replacement

Offline heyannie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 04:37:07 AM »
I was mostly concerned with what peoples recovery times were like.  I am anxious to get back to work as soon as possible.  I would like to think that my company is doing okay by me so far.  They have been really good about approving everything but at the same time you can never be too sure.  So I'm just kind of covering my grounds.  I'm hoping that my progress is as fast as some of the ones I have read.  It's encouraging to know that there will be things I can't do right away but it should come with time.  So now I won't be so quick to get disappointed.  It's also good to hear that most people are getting off of the pain meds so quickly.  That is something that is scary to me.  I hate taking tylenol let alone a narcotic lol.  So hope I can tolerate as well as most.  Well I will definately keep posting once I have the surgery and keep you updated on my progress.  Until then I get to sit behind a desk on light duty YAY.  Haha.  Thanks again.

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 01:22:35 PM »
I tore my ACL in half and never heard a pop. I also had very little swelling. In fact, after the accident and a bit of rolling around on the floor, I got up and walked home.

Offline mollyc

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 04:47:38 PM »
Hi there: Sorry to hear about your injury. Just wanted to respond to your time-back-to-work question. i think this varies a lot, but a lot of people are back to work by 2 weeks if they have desk jobs. I couldn't have done that, mainly because I had a lot of fatigue and have a job that requires a lot of intense concentration. I was back part time at four weeks, full time by six weeks.

If you have a physically intense job, it takes much longer.  There's a guy at my gym who is an Intensive Care Unit nurse, and thus on his feet all day. He was off until 3.5 months. But, perhaps if you can go back to work with light duty, you'll be more on the 2 or 3 weeks side of the spectrum.

Ask your surgeon.  They will ask you about the nature of your job and then make recommendations.

Good luck to you! Molly
Ski accident 2/14/09
Ruptured ACL, MCL sprain, bone bruise
ACLr allograft 5/27/09
Knee now 100% fine...skiing and playing tennis regularly

Offline luvmy4girls

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Pop Felt when tearing ACL" th
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 09:24:15 PM »
Hello. I just wanted to comment on the "pop" issue.  I have injured my ACL twice in the same knee.  The first time was very traumatic b/c I tore both my ACL and MCL.....and I along with others heard the very loud "pop".  So, when I injured the knee for the second time, I had already decided that it was not my ACL b/c I did not hear the "pop".  I went back to the surgeon that did my first reconstruction for a diagnosis. He is an excellent doctor who has been a team physician for a major college for many years.  I was somewhat surprised when he told me I had injured my ACL again.   I told him that I did not hear the "pop" and he said that sometimes you don't.  So, I agree with everyone else that you can injure your ACL without hearing a "pop"....I am proof and am 8 months post op of my 2nd ACL reconstruction. 

Good luck in your upcoming surgery!!

Kim

2/1991 -  Rt knee torn ACL & MCL
3/12/1991 - Rt knee ACL reconstruction
6/2008 - Rt knee re-injured ACL
12/17/2008 - Rt knee ACL Reconstruction Revison

Offline heyannie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 09:26:52 PM »
Molly
Thanks very much for your reply.  Unfortunately I do have a very physically demanding job.  I am on my feet on concrete floors for 12 hrs/day 4 days/week.  I work in the foundry end of a factory.  Very rigourous repetitive work.  So I'm hoping no longer than 6 weeks but we will see.

A new question has entered the equation.  I received my paperwork for my surgery today and it says they are setting me up for a peripheral nerve block.  I'm kind of nervous about that.  I would just prefer general anesthesia.  Will the Dr. leave that option up to me to make?  I don't like the idea of a needle in my back.  Thanks in advance.

vinnic

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 10:01:29 PM »
So sorry to hear about your tear...  Best of luck to you with the upcoming surgery.  As far as the anethesia, you should be able to have a choice before going into surgery.  I was able to choose general for both my scope and my aclr since I didn't want to remember anything.  You could always call the hospital/surgery center to ask ahead of time as well.  Again, good luck!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 12:49:41 AM by vinnic »

Offline Lizn8r

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 11:52:34 PM »
I had an ACLr along with a medial meniscectomy, and I also have a somewhat physically demanding job ... 7.5 out of 8 hours a day on my feet ...concrete floors also ... and often lifting and moving 65lb and up around.  I went back to work after 2 weeks (light duty, so I had to get the guys to move the equipment around for me ... I NEVER had to ask for help before and I had a hard time with it!).  In retrospect, 2 weeks was WAY too early.  By the end of the day my leg was really swollen, stiff and sore, and then I had to go to PT.  If for some unforeseen reason I had to do this all over again (God forbid!!) I would stay out at least 4 weeks.

About the anesthesia ... you might want to rethink the nerve block.  They will more than likely give you a femoral block ... the needle goes in your groin area just below your hip bone.  I was HUGELY nervous about the block, but this is how the anesthesiologists convinced me to take the block over GA.
1.  You won't feel the needle going in to the nerve.  You get a sedative in you IV and a topical anesthetic before they poke you.
2.  You will still be asleep during the surgery, just not as deeply.  You will NOT wake up during the surgery.
3.  They do not have to intubate you (run a tube down your throat) to help you breathe. They still give you O2 but its through a mask.
4.  You can be released from the hospital a lot quicker ... like hours or even days if you have a bad reaction to GA ... because there's not so much anesthesia to expel from your body.
5.  The block will help immensely with the immediate pain after surgery.  It doesn't wear off for 24 to 48 hours after surgery (in my case it wore off after 36 hrs) so it helps get you through til the oxycontin, oxycodone  or whatever pain meds you are prescribed can really kick in.
In my case, everything that they told me about the block was true.  I didn't feel it at all, and I had a very easy time coming out of anesthesia.  I actually DREAMED at some point during the surgery!!

I wish you all the best with your surgery and recovery.  And don't rush yourself back to work ...

Liz
Sep '99: Tore left ACL (football) - misdiagnosed
Sep '99-Apr '09: Lived with pain and buckling
Apr '09: New PCP (who listened), MRI and OS consult - proper dx
May '09: LK ACL Allograft and 25% medial meniscus removal
Sep '09: Released from PT and OS ... back to things I haven't done in 10 years!

Offline heyannie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2009, 12:08:25 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  I'm just so nervous about all of it.  Never had a broken bone let alone a surgery before lol.  I just worry about the possible side affects of the nerve block.  I guess everything has a possibility to have a side affect but I've never heard of GA causing loss of feeling permanently.  I tried researching peripheral nerve block and keep coming up with Femoral nerve block.  Not sure if they are basically the same or not.  I'm just weighing my options and hoping to find out what is best for me.  Its good to hear someone say that they had a good experience with it.  It makes it a little less nerve racking.  If anyone has any good links to read about the differences in anesthesia please feel free to link them.  I'm trying to get all my questions in order for my pre op appointment.  Thanks for all the info from everyone so far.  Information can be your best friend sometimes.  Thanks again.

kn33g33k

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2009, 12:14:18 AM »
heyannie, I hear ya!  same boat here.  good luck.

vinnic

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2009, 12:52:34 AM »
Be sure to look at the Info Hub on the website for more information regarding aclr - it's loaded with good stuff.  Also check out posts on the Cruciate Ligament board - it's a great resource full of supportive posters going through the same thing.  Again, best of luck!

Offline Lizn8r

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2009, 01:14:45 AM »
Its called a peripheral nerve block because they consider your arms and legs "peripherals".  A peripheral nerve block in your arm is called a brachial plexus block and the one in your leg is femoral.  And you're right, there are risks with a nerve block.  But there's also some pretty serious risks with GA also.  I figured that they were pretty much a wash, so I went with the block.  I don't like the side effects of oral pain meds, so anything that could keep the surgical pain away without affecting my stomach and my head was a bonus.

SO on to more decisions... have you (or do you get to) decided which type of graft you will use?  In my case, I got to choose.  My OS told me (after I had already made my graft choice) that if I had chosen anything other than the allograft, then he would have referred me to another OS in his group.  Even though he is competent in bone-patellar tendon-bone grafts and hamstring grafts, he specializes in allografts and believes that a surgeon should stick with what he does best.  Keep this in mind when you decide on graft choice!

Liz
Sep '99: Tore left ACL (football) - misdiagnosed
Sep '99-Apr '09: Lived with pain and buckling
Apr '09: New PCP (who listened), MRI and OS consult - proper dx
May '09: LK ACL Allograft and 25% medial meniscus removal
Sep '09: Released from PT and OS ... back to things I haven't done in 10 years!