Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Pop Felt when tearing ACL  (Read 3692 times)

Offline mollyc

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: Pop Felt when tearing ACL
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2009, 04:29:28 AM »
I had a femoral nerve block too.  I just want to echo what Liz said...didn't feel a thing. They gave me something first through my iv (which, I must admit, felt very, very good) and then the anesthesiologist inserted the block, checking withe me to see if I had any sensation down my leg. When I felt it (didn't hurt a bit, just felt something go down my leg), she was sure the block was in the right place.  She then put me under general, but a lighter form of general than would have been necessary without the femoral nerve block. It was really a piece of cake.

I had never had surgery before. Never had pain meds. Certainly never had a nerve block. But, all those things went very smoothly and I was glad that they had pursued that approach for me.
Ski accident 2/14/09
Ruptured ACL, MCL sprain, bone bruise
ACLr allograft 5/27/09
Knee now 100% fine...skiing and playing tennis regularly

Offline Ferris

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2009, 09:09:25 AM »
I had a femerol nerve block when I had my ACLr in January 2005.  I would have it again anytime as no pain from the knee afterwards only ached once the block wore off - the hamstring graft site just below the actual knee actually hurt more than the knee from time to time once the block wore off.  Meant that I didn't have to take any narcotics for pain relief either in hospital or once I got home.  I don't even remember the nerve block being administered.  Would definitely recommend it.

Rachel

Offline heyannie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2009, 10:15:08 AM »
My Dr. suggested bone patellar bone but we are supposed to discuss it more at my pre op appt.  I am still reading up on all three kinds of grafts so I havent completely made up my mind yet.  I am also like you.  I do not like druggy side affects.  But I do want to take whatever route is going to be safest.  Like right now I am on pain killers but they are non-narcotic so I can still function lol.  I was glad to hear how soon most people were off of the pain medications and hoping that I can cope with the pain as well as they did.  I would like to think I have a pretty good tolerance for pain.  I am trying to get all of the information about every aspect of the surgery I can before my pre op appt. so I can be totally prepared for my pre op appt.  Like I said before I was totally unprepared with my first appt with my OS.  Until I seen him I didn't even know that I had torn my acl.  Thought I only tore my meniscus.  So I really appreciate all the help I have been getting from everyone.  Thanks to all so far and please feel free to keep sending me all the info you can.  Thanks again.

Offline Lizn8r

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2009, 11:59:12 AM »
Definitely do your research on graft selection.  I chose against the bone-patellar tendon-bone graft because kneeling is sometimes required on my job (although I haven't had to yet since my surgery ;)) and one of the possible "side effects" of the BPTB graft is the inability to kneel due to pain. 

Just realized that no one's really told you that this site is FULL of information for research.  Go to the "Information Hub" - you can find the link in the upper right hand corner of every page of this forum.  You'll find all kinds of information from the anatomy of the knee to arthritis treatment.  And also, you should visit the "Cruciate ligaments" board ... http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?board=17.0... maybe even have the mods move this thread over there ... that's where most of us ACLr KG hang out most of the time.  Remember though, as you're reading through the posts ... ACL reconstruction surgery is and has been performed hundreds if not thousands of times a week worldwide and most people who go through it have no recovery issues at all.  Each OS has a protocol that they follow for surgery, recovery and rehab and if you follow his (and the PT's) advice, you will probably wind up with a well-reconstructed knee.

Good luck,

Liz
Sep '99: Tore left ACL (football) - misdiagnosed
Sep '99-Apr '09: Lived with pain and buckling
Apr '09: New PCP (who listened), MRI and OS consult - proper dx
May '09: LK ACL Allograft and 25% medial meniscus removal
Sep '09: Released from PT and OS ... back to things I haven't done in 10 years!

Offline heyannie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2009, 09:14:15 PM »
Yeah I have really payed attention to the posts that talk about making sure to ice, elevate, and do the pt religiosly.  I plan to do whatever they tell me to in order to have a quick, smooth recovery.  I don't do any kneeling at my job really but I do a lot of squatting.  That is hard for me to do now because of the pain but I can still do it.  Like I said I wasn't prepared with those kinds of questions for my first appt.  I will continue to search the graft choices but frankly an allograft seems kinda creepy lol :D  Glad to hear that so many have had a good experience with the nerve block.  It's not as much the pain that I am worried about as it is what is better as far as possible side affects.  I will make sure to check out the information hub and see what all I can find out.  Thanks for all the advice so far and please everyone, keep it coming!

Annie

Offline ex-gymnast

• Regular Poster
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2009, 05:58:14 AM »
When I tore my first ACL i had no clue.  No pop was heard or felt.  I thought I had just twisted my knee.  I then spent the next 18 months learning to do a full twisting back flip.  (Which can easily cause a torn ACL.)  My second torn ACL did come at the same time a s a loud pop but that was decided to be my kneecap dislocating. 

In my experience recorvery time depends greatly on 2 factors.  1 Who is doing your PT and 2 How much work do you but into the PT.
If I knew I'd be like this now, I'd do it all again.
1998- Lf ACL replace (failed)
1998- Lf ACL replace (worked)
1998- Rt LR
1999- Rt Scope
2000- Rt ACL replace
2001- Rt hardware replace
2002- Rt Scar Tissue Removal
2005- Rt Pattella Scraped
2009- Rt clean-out the mess
To Come: 2 Replace

support