Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: MCL sprain--activities?  (Read 869 times)

Offline jonchait50

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
MCL sprain--activities?
« on: August 18, 2009, 06:22:30 PM »
I am a competitive runner and recently got diagnosed as having an MCL sprain.  Everyone seems to say RICE is the appropriate response.  Some say that biking is possible.  But what about swimming or elliptical machines.  Any body have experience with these?

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 212
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
Re: MCL sprain--activities?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 06:38:21 PM »
Give the knee a rest and RICE - if there is no improvement, then take immediate steps to see your doctor..

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline obie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: MCL sprain--activities?
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 01:01:47 AM »

Hello Jonchait50, I had the same thing as you. It started last November and didn't see a doctor until January. I was told to do RICE but the doctor also gave me a knee brace to wear for 4-6 weeks.  I wore it for 5 weeks and slowly but surely, everything went away.  I can now do everything I used to do.  But always remember to watch how you step when hiking or walking through things.  Any twist of the knee and it'll mess up again.  Do not do ANYTHING until you are totally healed so either buy a knee brace, I had a velcro one, or ask your doctor for one.  Oh! ALSO, you have to wear the brace 24/7 except to shower.  You need to sleep with it and always keep it elevated.  Don't do anything physical unless you have to and if you do, be very careful.  The thing is to keep the knee imobile for all those weeks so the MCL can heal.

Good Luck!  Obie