Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Hardware removal  (Read 9517 times)

Offline thegimp1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hardware removal
« on: August 16, 2009, 04:10:32 AM »
Has anybody had their screws removed from a TTO (or HTO)?  Curious to hear about the recovery process.  Length of surgery?  Time off your feet, on crutches?  Time away from the gym?  Other complications? 

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim

thebionicknee.blogspot.com

Offline redlotus

• Regular Poster
Re: Hardware removal
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 06:51:03 PM »
HI Jim - I noticed that your post has gone unanswered for quite some time (it happens here sometimes  :-\ ) and thought I'd see if I could help at all.  I still have my hardware in and haven't had any issues with it, so it'll probably stay in, but my friend had hers out and she described the pain pretty much like "someone kicked me really hard in the shin."   :P  She said it wasn't that bad after a few days, and I think she was only on crutches a few days with instructions to take it easy for a few weeks due to the slightly increased risk of fracture. 

If you do a search of the site for "hardware removal" you'll find lots of posts on the subject.  That might help you get some more detailed information, and you can always send a PM to folks you find who have had theirs removed if you want to try to ask more specific questions.

Anyway, good luck!  Hope that helps.
Lauren

Offline thegimp1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 06:19:52 PM »
Thanks, Lauren.  I've read a handful of entries in which people mention having their screws removed, but no detailed discussion of the recovery, etc.  I'll reach out to them directly and share anything I learn.  Meanwhile, if anybody has had their screws taken out, I'd love to hear about your experience. 

Thanks,
Jim

thebionicknee.blogspot.com

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • My new PFJR...Love It!!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 07:30:58 PM »
You might have better luck in the General and Patella sections.  The solo Fulkerson's and TTO are in those sections.

For me personally...My heardware removal was a snap...Out Patient Procedure that only took about 20 min.  No real pain to speak of, no crutches,  only minor discomfort for a few days.  I took one day off work and once the stitches came out I was back to my normal activities (screws came out at 6 months).  Other then that there was no recovery to tell you about...it was no big deal!

Karen
Right Knee
2000 - 2002 - Scope,LR,TTT,Unscrewed
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
1/08 Unscrewed/MRI~NON-UNION
02/19/08 Lt  TTT Revision W/Graft
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline thegimp1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 09:18:27 PM »
Thanks for the info, Karen.  I should've been more specific.  I had ACI done on my patella and trochlear groove; the TTO was performed to improve the odds of success. 

I wonder whether the actual surgery to remove the screws would be any different. 

Jim

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • My new PFJR...Love It!!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 02:18:43 AM »
As far as I know the TTO is done the same ACI or not.  I would expect the hardware removal to be the same also.  The difference is going to be in your OS protocol.  As with everything else....every OS has their own way of doing things.  Mine is very aggressive with rehab..he wants you up and moving ASAP.

The reason I suggested the General and Patella sections was the amount of posters that are having TTO's and hardware removals.  I think you would also get a good response in those sections.

Good luck,
Karen
Right Knee
2000 - 2002 - Scope,LR,TTT,Unscrewed
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
1/08 Unscrewed/MRI~NON-UNION
02/19/08 Lt  TTT Revision W/Graft
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 01:00:29 AM »
Hi,
I had my screws and plate removed from my HTO and the recovery was a piece of cake compared to the ACI recovery.  I was on crutches for about a week because I had to protect the bone where the screws were removed.  I started a post-op diary in the HTO section about my hardware removal because I also had trouble finding info about hardware removal recovery.  I ended up not posting on it much at all because my experience was pretty uneventful.  It was open surgery for me and it did involve pain but overall it seemed like a simple recovery compared to ACI.  But, if you want to read more about my experience for the first couple of weeks of my hardware removal check under the HTO section.  You might have to hunt a little for my post-op diary because it was back in dec. 2008 when I had my hardware removed.  Good luck to you. 
LOA #2 and hardware removal 12/15/08-new cartilage from ACI looks "GOOD"
LOA on left knee 3/18/07
ACI and HTO on left knee 10/22/07
scope of right knee on 6/21/07
microfracture left knee 3/18/05

Offline thegimp1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 10:12:20 PM »
Thanks for the note, Casey.  I found your posts about the hardware removal.  It's funny -- I read your ACI blog constantly during my initial recovery.  Your posts were very helpful.

Glad to hear your knee's doing alright. 

I've still got a few months to go before my screws come out.  Can't wait to display them in a jar on the mante :)

Take care,
Jim

Offline dileigh

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2009, 12:17:57 AM »
You may want to mention that you want to keep the screws before the removal, I never got a chance to get mine.

Amazingly, the hardware removal is nothing,  outpatient surgery, only heavy sedation, no crutches and less pain afterwards than I expected.  I drove for 8 hours 3 days later with no problems.

Diana

Offline DukeOfEarl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 08:37:50 AM »
Hi Guys Thanks for all the posts on HTO & ACL Recon hardware removal. Coming at you from Perth Australia. After 20 yrs living life to the fullest and thus grinding my knee lining down with broken ACL's and no reconstruction [yep] I found myself with advanced osteoarthritis and a prime candidate for TKR x2. Not too mention hip and lower back issues. I am only 40 yrs now so an HTO + ACLR was the only option for now [TKR's have a min 10yr life].

Anyway had my Left leg/knee HTO and ACL in March 2008. Was meant to have that hardware removed and have my Right knee  HTO+ACLR done [all in one go!] Feb 2009 but that was pl;aced on hold when I was made redundant... Not sure when I get my full RIght knee ACL+HTO done but for now I am so happy to be having my Left HTO 'Puddu' Plate, 6 or 7x HTO screws, and 1xACL Screw removed this Wednesday 10-March-2010 - YAY  ;D.

Your posts have been very helpful .I also found this thread on hardware removal usefull too. http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?PHPSESSID=563fdd3c230ed5ab40a02e7c81be873c&action=printpage;topic=45486.0.

I am hoping that all you are saying about HTO plate removal is true and easy because I need to get back to work in a week and be driving at that. I will keep you informed anyway, I trust this is of interest. My biggest question is the holes left after the screw removal must need plugging up with bone graft right? [I call it 'bone putty']. It feels like the screws [the 6 or 7 HTO screws and the 1 tibial ACL screw] are being forced out of my bones! It's like the bone must be growing up from underneath and forcing the screws out! That's my theory anyway but they are better in than out so I cannot wait. I've also posted a pic here of my left knee post HTO & ACLR March 2008.

Oh and yes dileigh, I will be keeping my plate and screws... I've grown quote attached to them!  ;)

Cheers for now!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 01:29:51 PM by DukeOfEarl »
1886: Left knee ACL break. Partial meniscus removal
1992: Left Knee Tibial lining gouged
1993: Right Knee ACL break
2008: March Left knee ACLR
2008: March Left HTO 
2010: March Left HTO+ACLR hardware removal
Late 2010 or Early 2011: Planned Right Knee ACLR+HTO
Scopes don't count as knee ops C-8 !

Offline cfranc

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 04:40:21 PM »
Ouch!  Nice metal you've got there! 

I had my screws out from a TTO a little over a year back.  Piece of cake!  No worries.  Only took one aspirin when I got home :)

Was forced by Doc though to limit my activity for a few days.  I had no crutches and was out on a short walk 2 days later.  Back to 100% within 4! 

And yes, I had those nice protruding screws - 1 easily visible when I bent my knee.  Kids loved to feel the end of the phillips head! 

Now their entertainment is gone but mine has only begun....when someone first sees my scar and screams oh my god...I get to come up with the most entertaining stories :)
Jan 1991 Lateral release
Nov 1997 VMO/Lateral release
April 1998 scope to remove bone chips
Feb 2002 VMO/TTO
Oct 2009 Biopsy for ACI
Feb 3, 2010 ACI/TTO

Offline AARON14

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2012, 11:40:47 PM »
hi  every one

i had my screws removal in an arthroscopic surgery 6 days ago . they gave me a bag with the screws in it . they are so long ! one of them is a little shorter then the other . since my a.c.i + t.t.o , i had discomfort leaning on my knee , and just pain around the screws area , which i believe is from the osteotomy itself as well . i think , now that they have been removed , the " heal " that i had got a little smaller . i have stitches around there , and hopefully they will take them out in a couple of days .

Offline skifanatic

• Regular Poster
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 04:24:34 AM »
Is there any reason for having the hardware removed if it isn't really of any bother leaving it in?  I plan to leave mine.

Offline wan2hvfun

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2012, 06:12:34 AM »
Not sure if I posted here, so I will give brief summary:

Had HTO on March 1st 2012. I had a 2nd torn Meniscus, so doc said to do the HTO since I am a Triathlete & plan to participate when I am 65. Give me 10-12 years he said. I plan on 15-20. Anyhow...8 1/2 months later I still could not run. Tried, but hurt too much. HTO didn't hurt, but very inconvenient. Eight to ten weeks non-weight bearing!! Stinks!
Doc advised to remove hardware. I figured this out by reading Inet posts. Now it is 3 1/2 weeks and can tell knee is better already, however still unstable. Hardware removal was nothing. No crutches and only got sore when I went back to work as a PE teacher. Will post later, after I start running...first time in 11 months...Lord Willing!!! ;D

Offline ozzie

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 3
  • ACI & Fulkerson 6/25/13, ACI & Fulkerson 12/26/13
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2013, 09:40:26 AM »
Hi Aaron,  I saw that you had patella ACI and I was wondering how you have progressed.  I had this surgery end of June - 10 weeks ago and so far I am doing well.  If you see my message and don't mind giving me an update, I'd appreciate it!  Ozzie from Atlanta   :)
ACI patella and trochlea & Fulkerson on Dec. 26, 2013-Dr. Scott Gillogly
ACI patella surgery and Fulkerson with Dr. Gillogly June 25, 2013
Extensive cartilage damage in both knees due to misalignment of patellas

support