Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Advice on Knee Surgeon - has anyone got and feedback they can give me?  (Read 4939 times)

Offline JamesJamesJames

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Advice on Knee Surgeon - has anyone got and feedback they can give me?
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2021, 10:24:22 PM »
Hi - I have had a bad left knee for some years.  I originally snapped my cruciate ligament playing rugby and damaging the cartliage in the process.  This was 13 years ago when I was 19.  I had the ligament rebuilt but I'm not sure it ever worked again properly.  Over the last 13 years I have had approximately 12 operations and was told about 5 years ago that nothing could be done other than a knee replacement.  THe surgeons I have seen inlcude Mr Ian Forster, Mr Jonathan Noble, Mr Paul Rae and Mr Derek Bickerstaff.  I am now thinking depsite my age that I am going to have a knee replacement - I am in constant pain, can only walk short distances and frequently have problems sleeping due to the pain.  Has anyone else had a knee replacement at my sort of age?  Also I have been recommended to see Mr Nick London who I have heard very positive things about him.  Has anyone else had a knee replacement by him?  I look forward to any feedback anyone can give me.
Thanks, James
Came across this post that I made 12 years ago!  I went ahead and had the total knee replacement in October 2009 when I was 32 years old.  Iím now 44 and it has been absolutely brilliant.  I cycle loads and still swim a bit but overall it was absolutely the right thing for me to do despite being so young.

Offline Stelfox

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2021, 07:43:30 PM »
Hi James,
That's great news to hear your feedback. I had a wakeboarding injury when I was 18, I have had 3 left knee ops. I,m now 34 and have sever knee arthritis, struggling to walk at work. Going for some HA injections this week. Glad to hear your positive story!
2006: Left knee ACL graft repair, small medial and lateral meniscus removed.

2009: Left knee 1cm micro fracture (MFX) carried out on lateral femoral condyle and some more lateral meniscus removed.

2011: left knee 2cm micro fracture (MFX) carried out on the same area

Offline JamesJamesJames

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2021, 07:46:36 PM »
Hi James,
That's great news to hear your feedback. I had a wakeboarding injury when I was 18, I have had 3 left knee ops. I,m now 34 and have sever knee arthritis, struggling to walk at work. Going for some HA injections this week. Glad to hear your positive story!
Hi there, that sounds very similar to me.  Had a serious knee injury playing rugby at 19 and snapped my ACL and damaged a lot of cartilage.  Over the next 12 or 13 years I probably had around 12 operations for various things on my knee but by the end I was in a lot of pain.  So I had the TKR in 2009 and touchwood but Iíve not had any operation on it since. Iím careful with my walking and never run unless itís an emergency but I cycle a lot. Ive done 165miles across 2 days with zero knee trouble at all.
I decided Iíd rather have a few decades of Ďlifeí even if it means a prosthetic leg when Iím in my 60s of 70s.
Good luck with your knee pain and I hope you find a positive resolution.
Cheers
James

Offline Stelfox

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2021, 01:13:58 PM »
Hi James,

Yeah totally understand what you mean about rather having a few decades of 'life'. Great to see you cycling that much with no trouble, I cycle a lot too now, but can feel tender after 30 miles. Again great to hear your story!
2006: Left knee ACL graft repair, small medial and lateral meniscus removed.

2009: Left knee 1cm micro fracture (MFX) carried out on lateral femoral condyle and some more lateral meniscus removed.

2011: left knee 2cm micro fracture (MFX) carried out on the same area

Offline JamesJamesJames

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2021, 07:26:19 PM »
Hi James,

Yeah totally understand what you mean about rather having a few decades of 'life'. Great to see you cycling that much with no trouble, I cycle a lot too now, but can feel tender after 30 miles. Again great to hear your story!

Well good luck with whatever you decide to do!

support