Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Advice on Knee Surgeon - has anyone got and feedback they can give me?  (Read 3620 times)

Offline JamesJamesJames

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hi - I have had a bad left knee for some years.  I originally snapped my cruciate ligament playing rugby and damaging the cartliage in the process.  This was 13 years ago when I was 19.  I had the ligament rebuilt but I'm not sure it ever worked again properly.  Over the last 13 years I have had approximately 12 operations and was told about 5 years ago that nothing could be done other than a knee replacement.  THe surgeons I have seen inlcude Mr Ian Forster, Mr Jonathan Noble, Mr Paul Rae and Mr Derek Bickerstaff.  I am now thinking depsite my age that I am going to have a knee replacement - I am in constant pain, can only walk short distances and frequently have problems sleeping due to the pain.  Has anyone else had a knee replacement at my sort of age?  Also I have been recommended to see Mr Nick London who I have heard very positive things about him.  Has anyone else had a knee replacement by him?  I look forward to any feedback anyone can give me.
Thanks, James

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
Re: Advice on Knee Surgeon - has anyone got and feedback they can give me?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 11:33:34 AM »
Not knowing where you live - but highly reccommended is Mr Rae, Mr Clayson or Mr Hodginkson, all at Wrighton.

Best wishes

John
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline JamesJamesJames

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 04:54:50 PM »
Thanks John, I'm based in Yorkshire.  I saw Mr Rae over in Manchester a couple of years back and he has recommended I see Mr London as I have moved away from Manchester.

James

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 05:19:40 PM »
Hi James

Which part of Yorkshire????

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline JamesJamesJames

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 06:53:04 PM »
Hi John, I'm in Leeds

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 07:14:56 PM »
Dont know anything about Mr London, but bear in mind, it may be worthwhile to travel over the Pennines to Wrighton....

We travel to Bradford frequently - have family there.

Best wishes

John

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline karen smith

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 12:34:19 PM »
I don't know where you live but are you prepared to see a surgeon in London?  Mr Angus Strover is an excellent surgeon who reconstructed my patello femoral ligament.  Like you, it was from an injury many years before.  Mr Strover is a woeld renowned surgeon in this field who has pioneered many surgical procedures in this field with previous clients coming in from around the world to see him  He has pioneered many surgical procedures in ligament surgery now used by other surgeons worldwide.  He works out of London Bridge hospital. 

Alternatively, there is Mr Glyn Evans also at the London Bridge. 

Both surgeons above are dedicated knee surgeons who do not operate on anything else.

Offline Mike1968

• Forum Faithful
  • Just hoping for some relief!
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 12:34:18 AM »
Hi - I have had a bad left knee for some years.  I originally snapped my cruciate ligament playing rugby and damaging the cartliage in the process.  This was 13 years ago when I was 19.  I had the ligament rebuilt but I'm not sure it ever worked again properly.  Over the last 13 years I have had approximately 12 operations and was told about 5 years ago that nothing could be done other than a knee replacement.  THe surgeons I have seen inlcude Mr Ian Forster, Mr Jonathan Noble, Mr Paul Rae and Mr Derek Bickerstaff.  I am now thinking depsite my age that I am going to have a knee replacement - I am in constant pain, can only walk short distances and frequently have problems sleeping due to the pain.  Has anyone else had a knee replacement at my sort of age?  Also I have been recommended to see Mr Nick London who I have heard very positive things about him.  Has anyone else had a knee replacement by him?  I look forward to any feedback anyone can give me.
Thanks, James

James,

I dont live in the UK but have visited there many times so I can't comment on the docs there.  What I CAN comment on is the TKR.  Take a look at my post on the "Too Young for TKR".....Here is the link to it....http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=44776.0

From looking at your post I think you are 32 or so correct?  This is a very young age for a TKR but you have been through the gamut.  I too have had many knee surgeries (some good and others horrible) but this TKR I received 7 weeks ago has been the best blessing I could have had!

Think of it from a quality of life issue.  If you cannot function properly at such a young age....would you want to be on narcotics/sleep aids for 10 to 20 years?  Would you give up some of the best years of your life awaiting the TKR?

I can honestly say that this surgery has given me a new lease on life as far as the knee goes.  I do not limp any longer, I can walk normally, I have no bone/bone pain or instability....I feel like a new man at 41 years young!  There are a few folks that have had TKRs at young ages.  There are some benefits as younger people tend to heal faster.  The other "possible" benefit is that you will not be doing additional damage to the point at which the TKR may get very complex.  I am not a doctor by any means, but I do know that I am VERY happy with my TKR.

There are major risks with such a HUGE surgery.  You are the one that can answer the questions if you are ready or not.  Do not enter into this lightly and research/read all you can prior to the decision.  In my situation, there was simply nothing else that could be done...no braces, no other surgeries, injections did not work, etc.....I needed a new knee.  I was told that I was too young (you can see this in my thread) but I do not regret getting this surgery one bit.  For example:  Today I could wash the cars with my wife and then we were able to take the dogs for a walk in the mountains nearby the house.  This was IMPOSSIBLE 2 months ago prior to the TKR.  Heck, I had trouble getting to the car or walking for any distances without having severe pain.

Best of luck to you and feel free to ask me anything....I will give you my honest opinion every time!

Regards,

Mike :)
83-Osgood Schlatters in both knees
90-left knee ACL repair
03-left knee ACL revision (hamstring graft)
04-left knee ACL revision (cadaver graft)
06-left knee arthroscopy
06-left knee ACI and High Tibial Osteotomy
30 June 2009 - Left Knee Total Knee Replacement

Offline JamesJamesJames

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 08:15:45 PM »
Mike,

Thank you very much for taking the time to send me such a detailed e-mail back.

Yes I am just 32 but my knee is very bad.  I went to see the surgeon this afternoon and he told me has done 2000 knee replacements but I would be the youngest of them all.  As you said he told me it is a case of looking at your lifestyle now versus what it may be like in 20/30 years time but who knows what could happen by then!  At the moment though taking the dog for a walk more than 500m is really hard work and the pain is severe. 

THe surgeon has told me to go away and think about the risks etc and come back in 2/3 weeks and if I then want it done we'll book it in for a couple of weeks later. I'm going to do plenty of research but I'm think of having it done as right now I can hardly do a thing!

Thanks again and best wishes to you.

James

PoppaPatella

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 08:46:30 PM »
Hi JJJ,

Have you seen the books published by Dr Grelsamer?  It might be something to read before deciding.

He posts here once in a while.  Why don't you look at his profile:

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?action=profile;u=5615

And maybe try sending him a PM.  He's a great guy and might be able to help you figure out how to make a better informed decision about this.

Also, the profile has a link to his website, and his website mentions his books, plus talks about the issues you are facing.

Good luck.

PoppaPatella

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 08:48:54 PM »
Well, just tried clicking on the link that is in Dr. Grelsamer's profile, but that link is broken.

Here is his personal website:

http://www.kneehippain.com/

PoppaPatella

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 08:50:43 PM »
And here's the name of the book I had in mind:

What Your Doctor May NOT Tell You About Hip and Knee Replacement Surgery.
Ronald P. Grelsamer. Warner Books, 2004

Offline JamesJamesJames

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2009, 10:00:22 PM »
Hi PP,

Thanks for the information about the book and the website Link - i'll spend some time having a look over both of these.

James

PoppaPatella

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2009, 10:20:56 PM »
(Didn't realize until I saw you address me in that manner that my initials are kinda funny... Bleh!  LOL)

JJJ,
You are welcome.
Let us know what you find out.

kn33g33k

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2009, 12:23:14 AM »
James,
I wish you luck.  Hope you can figure out a way to get better without the replacement.
Sorry I can't offer much more than encouragement.  Im new to this site, and new to major injuries.
But I wish you luck.
Sean