Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Sleeping with a very recent HTO - calling all Tibs  (Read 715 times)

Offline Dojobloke

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Sleeping with a very recent HTO - calling all Tibs
« on: August 15, 2009, 08:29:36 AM »
Hello Everyone, thanks for having me to your forum.

This week I finally got round to having my High Tibial Osteotomy done, I had been putting it off for to long. As usual the NHS were superb and did everything in their power to look after me. For my American friends, I would just like to say that what you may hear about the NHS being poor, I my experience you would be very pushed to find better.

My high wedge was fortunate enough not to have had the illiac crest bone graft, so I have no problems there. I have a removal leg brace / splint to stop medial / lateral movement, though the equipment encourages frontal / reverse plane movement. Since I have had it done I am completely non weight bearing (6 weeks) and get up for the occassional hop around on the crutches. Due to me being on my back so long, sleeping in this position is now uncomfotable and I need to find alternative ways of sleeping. I am wary of sleeping on my side due to the forces on my leg, particulalry the Op point. Though the splint appears to take the weight and prevents 'bending' of the tibia. Can you chaps let me know how you slept / survived the first 6 weeks after your HTO? Thanks

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 212
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
Re: Sleeping with a very recent HTO - calling all Tibs
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 07:17:15 PM »
Hi there

Strong tip for persons with knee injuries -

sleep with a pillow/cushion between your knees - takes the weight off the injured knee - not sexy I know, but at least you will get a good nights sleep.
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon