Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Low intensity laser therapy  (Read 2233 times)

Offline ladystail01

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Low intensity laser therapy
« on: June 16, 2009, 12:26:59 AM »
I am following up on my previous posts.  I had the synvisc one injection on June 9th and had a bad reaction to it.  My leg got very stiff and painful and then the leg got swollen.

Went to see the doctor today and he said leg can remain swollen from two days to two weeks.  The leg is warm to the touch but not hot which is good.  It means there is no infection.  He asked if I would like to try the low intensity laser therapy and I had read about good results from this so I agreed.  They gave me my first session and said I have to take 12 treatments for the full effect. 

Has anyone tried this?  Good results -- yes or no?  Thanks.

Offline ladystail01

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Low intensity laser therapy
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 11:09:01 PM »
Hi 3cdguru:

Thanks for the info.  I asked the doctor about prolozone.  He told me there is a doctor on the next block who does it, but he said he is getting a lot of his patients coming to him for followup treatments to counteract the prolozone.  You don't know who to believe.

I had my 7th laser treatment yesterday and have taken three physical therapy sessions.  Thankfully my leg is feeling better. Still get ankle swelling by evening but I don't know if that has anything to do with the fact that this is a weak leg due to having a malignant melanoma removed from it years ago and the leg is larger than the other one to begin with.   I will follow up with the sites you gave me

I definitely will be very cautious in the future before getting any more injections.  But that won't be for at least six months so we'll see what the situation is down the road.

Thanks again.

Marcia

Offline ladystail01

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 04:34:10 AM »
Hi 3cdguru:

I read the info you sent -- WOW, I certainly would have thought twice before I did the Synvisc.  I had fairly unevenful previous treatments and Genzyme says it is okay to get multiple treatments, that it didn't even cross my mind that I'd get this kind of reaction.  They definitely should inform the public that multiple treatments might have these kinds of reactions.  But according to the info that was on the internet, they are not liable for any adverse reactions so why should they jepordize their income by giving the negative side effects.

I hope others who are on this site and looking for advice will follow the links you gave me because it could certainly prevent what I went through.  I will keep prolozone on my "radar" but right now I am not going to do anything but the laser and physical therapy because I seem to be on the right track.  I will do a lot more research on prolozone and try to be well informed when I have to take action again.

Thanks for all your great input.  Hopefully people who are reading this will read it also.

Marcia

Offline ladystail01

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 07:04:32 PM »
Hi 3cdguru:

I have been walking around the house much better in the last few days.  I just went to the avenue today to do some errands and found that my knee was not as good as I thought.  On a prolonged walk it is still painful.  The laser is supposed to be given in 10-15 treatments and I am going today for #8 and Synvisc can take 4 weeks or more before you may see relief.  I am a posiive thinker, so I am thinking good things are coming!!

I am very thankful that my adverse reactions seem to have mostly disappeared.  After reading about these other people with long term effects, I consider myself very lucky.

I am going to the doctor in a little while and want to wish you a very happy 4th of July weekend.

Marcia

Offline ladystail01

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 06:59:58 PM »
I haven't posted in awhile and just wanted to do an update.  I had 12 laser treatments after the Synvisc.  There are some days that I feel pretty good and others that I have sharp pain.  I still find that when I am on the avenue it is worse (I guess prolonged walking on concrete may have something to do with it).  Am I happy that I did these treatments?  I guess so.  If you don't try you won't know if you will feel better.  Will it last?  Who knows.  I do know that I won't jump into anything else too quickly.  Maybe next time I'll look into the ozone therapy.  Hopefully it will be quite aways down the line.  I know I definitey won't do anything for at least six months if not longer.

Hope everyone will be feeing better and stay positive.

Marcia

Offline KartBoy

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 09:04:38 PM »
I'm so glad I spotted this post, synvisc has been mentioned as a possible short term fix to my knee pain but I haven't gone down that road yet because it didn't seem like anything other than a quick fix with no guarantee of success. After reading the above and going to the blog there is no way they are going to put that stuff in my knee.
7th Mar 08 - Pedestrian hit by car
10th Mar 08 - TPF (Plate + 6 screws)
12th Mar 08 - TPF Revision
Feb 09: Hardware removed + scope
Jun 10: ACI Stage I
Aug 10: ACI II (Stanmore)
Oct  11 - MRI + Scope (In pain)
Aug 12 - MRI + Scope (In more pain)
Sep 12 - TKR ruled out :(

Offline ladystail01

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 05:30:30 AM »
Hi Broxy:

I wish you a speedy recovery.  It takes a minute to get hurt and forever to recover.  My first Synvisc worked.  I have a friend who got relief for several years and is now consideirng doing it again.  My second and third were with different companies and the results werent that good.  This time I tried the new one shot Synvisc but had a very bad reactiion.  Wish I had found this site before I tried it becase I probably wouldn't have done it or maybe I would have gone back to the three shots.  The doctor I had said he only had one patient who had a similar reaction.  When I called Synvisc they "played dumb" and didn't know about these kinds of reactions.  It shows that you really have to research everything beforehand.

Everyone is different and no one knows how they are going to react to a treatment.  I've heard good and bad about knee replacement as well.  Do a lot of research and also research the doctor that is treating you.  My previous doctor kept telling me to lose weight when I went to him in pain.  Well, I've lost 27 pounds, and I'm still in pain.  Needless to say, I'm not going to him anymore.

But please stay optomistic.  I truly believe that a positive attitude helps the healing process.

Marcia

Offline ladystail01

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 04:10:37 PM »
Hi 3cdguru:

Thanks for the heads up  I really don't know why I said I'd do it again.  I would be stupid if I did!!  I had heard about the ozone and that would be the way I'd go next.  But as I said, I'm not even going to think about any addiional anything for at least six months. 

This site is really great.  Everyone is looking out for each other.  I am telling everyone with knee problems to check out this site.

Regards,

Marcia

Offline KartBoy

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 09:25:09 PM »
I've told loads of people about the site as well, Its fantastic and has been of enormous help, both emotional and practical help, my biggest issue with synvisc or anything like that it that the TPF did mechanical damage to the bone & cartilage so a lubricant is only treating the symptoms not the underlying cause, hopefully the next OS I see will have a solution.
7th Mar 08 - Pedestrian hit by car
10th Mar 08 - TPF (Plate + 6 screws)
12th Mar 08 - TPF Revision
Feb 09: Hardware removed + scope
Jun 10: ACI Stage I
Aug 10: ACI II (Stanmore)
Oct  11 - MRI + Scope (In pain)
Aug 12 - MRI + Scope (In more pain)
Sep 12 - TKR ruled out :(

support