Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: "lax ligaments" after replacement knee surgery  (Read 1760 times)

Offline tomboy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
"lax ligaments" after replacement knee surgery
« on: August 14, 2009, 06:52:18 PM »
My wife (68) was diagnosed as having "lax ligaments" in her knee as being the cause of continued pain 11 months after replacement knee surgery.
The MD did the standard knee test (holding heel in one hand and back of calf with the other); it looked to me like about 3/4" of play front/back and laterally. Sure was a lot looser than mine.
MD said that some patients develop this after surgery; that the pain is from muscles trying to rigidify the knee when the ligaments are too loose to do their normal job.
His proposal is to go back into the knee, replace the pad (between the upper and lower fixtures) with a thicker one, a 4 mm instead of a 2 mm.
I assume they're lax because they got stretched in the operation, necessitating a 4mm instead of a 2mm.
So wouldn't a second operation stretch them more, which might then necessitate a 3rd operation, necessitating a 5mm instead of a 4mm?
Now on this boad I read something about Prolotherapy, or PLP, which I need to read more about, but might that be a less demanding alternative?

Offline FindnNemo91

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
    • My Facebook Profile
Re: "lax ligaments" after replacement knee surgery
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 08:46:57 PM »
hey tomboy,

our situations are different, but my doc did recommend that i try prolotherapy. it is just a sugar solution that is injected into the ligament that is supposed to trick the body into thinking that theres an injury, and then your body will make scar tissue and that will theoretically "strengthen" the ligaments. Sorry to say, but i have no idea if it works or not. it is still experimental and there isnt much research done on it yet. i did NOT get it, because of a couple things: i have lax ligaments throughout my body and that would be torture to get that many injections (plus my doc didnt think that was practical), secondly, my insurance wont cover "experimental" things, and third, my doc told me that they are rather painful and the pain from that can last until the inflammation goes down. those things were enought to steer me away. to me, maybe going in and putting the thicker pad in would be "less demanding" because of the pain from the shots, and the price (can be a couple hundred dollars PER shot and you have to have multiple shots over time) and because they are still experimental. if she does decide to do the surgery and it doesnt work, maybe the prolotherapy should be considered.

sorry i couldnt be much help, but i hope she find some relief in whatever she does do!!!!
jak
TTT/Lateral Release/Chondroplasty: May 15th, 2009
Brostrom Reconstruction: Oct 16th, 2009

~United States Army~
Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic