Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 1224 times)

Offline Caroline109

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
Hello!
« on: September 08, 2003, 09:58:23 PM »
I goofed and unintentionally (I think) cancelled the posting of my first message here! I am very glad to have found this web site. Anyway, I just found out today that I will be having surgery on October 7 on my right knee's meniscus about 4 months after I had my left knee operated on for the same thing. My surgery will be in Danbury, CT, USA, about 70 miles northeast of NYC.  I also have a cyst in the right knee that may or may not be removed with the surgery. Complicating any surgery, I also have a low platelet count which means I bruise and bleed easily if a surgeon isn't careful during the actual surgery.  Having gotten through 3 csections and previous knee surgery, I should be okay for this next round! My orthpepdist called my first tear following the surger a "big ass meniscus tear" and the doctor I saw today (my usual orthopedist had a family emergency so he wasn't in the office today) said this right knee tear is also big.
I was wondering if anyone else here has some of these same issues.
I am looking forward to posting here. I am sure no one will mind my moaning and groaning about things as surgery gets closer and then actually occurs!
Caroline
Chronic low platelet count
Men. surgery, both knees 2003,2007,2008
R PKR Sept. 17, 2008 - Biomet Oxford Partial
LK-TKR 4/21/2010 Biomet Vanguard Signature Knee
Scar tissue issue next to TKR knee
March 2, 2011: PKR to be revised to a TKR

Offline Erin

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2003, 02:20:30 AM »
Hi Caroline--We welcome you to the board. Ive never had your paticular problem but there are so many people here that can probably help you. We are all here to support one another with our moans and complaints. And make sure that if you have questions ask. I hope that someone can help you out. And I am from Illinois.
Good luck with your surgery and I welcome you.
Erin
« Last Edit: September 09, 2003, 02:23:51 AM by Erin »
7 years left knee pain/popping/giving out
10-20-00 L.knee surgery to tighten knee cap
2 years of right knee pain
9-13-02 Sprained right ankle
6-9-03 Brostrom-gould surgery on right ankle

Offline Caroline109

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2003, 03:40:32 AM »
Thanks Erin. I still remembering the first time I actaully walked around my house with the crutches after my first surgery and wondered if the feeling that my operated on knee felt like it needed to crack was normal. I didn't know whom to ask (although I did finally ask when I went back to the doctor's after a week to get my stitches out).
Before my 1st surgery, I did searches of information about it and found a lot of information but somehow I never came across this website.  I only found it this time by chance because I did a search using the terms meniscus tear + cyst. I am very glad to find it.  I need to check out the other areas soon but from what I could tell, this seemed like the right section to start.
Caroline

Offline Jillian24

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2003, 03:56:56 AM »
Caroline,
   I just wanted to welcome you to the board. You will find love, support and several shoulders to cry on around here. We will always do what we can to help. I can't help you with your particular problem, but I wanted to welcome you. Good Luck to you, and I hope you find some answers...Jillian
ONE TTT LAST OCT
10 LR'S    ONE MEDIAL RELEASE
STAPH INFECTION.....MANY MONTHS IN HOSPITAL

Offline anasta5ia

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2003, 05:43:45 AM »
Hey Caroline-

Welcome to the great big KneeGeek family.  As the others said, this is a great place to find support to help you get through those nasty knee issues that we all have.

I will probably be having surgery around the same time as you.  Different problem though.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Hugs and happy knee thoughts,
-Heather G.
Rt. knee-plica resection, LR, 4 TTTs, MPFL repair & 2 MPFL reconstructions
Lt. knee-2 TTTs, & 2 MPFL reconstructions...
Scheduled for bilateral hardware removal, lt. knee TT revision, MPFL recon and LR recon with new wonderful surgeon.
Plus 9 other orthopedic surgeries

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2003, 05:47:44 AM »
Hi! :D
I'm another one of those torn meniscus people. I've had repeated tears, and 2 partial menisectomies. That means that when the tear's too big to fix, they remove the torn section entirely. The last tear, the doc told me, had just about torn what I had left in half. So, the torn stuff got removed. I'm down to 25% of the meniscus in the left side of my right knee. Arthritis in the making.

I've been through the routine - 3 procedures in 22 mos time, so I know what dealing with the tears is like. If you're lucky, the tear won't be too big for them to stitch. If they do stitch it, be careful to do what they tell you afterwards. Mine were all too bad to stitch. Feel free to email me if you like. I'd be glad to answer what questions I can.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline Caroline109

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2003, 06:24:49 AM »
I've had a good portion of my shredded right medial meniscus removed (I even have the picture my doctor took of it during the arthroscopy and I stuck it in a frame and it's in my family room and I have it scanned onto my hard drive). I have no idea how much, I just know the doctor called it a big ass tear! LOL! He did tell my husband during the surgery that he could see I don't have any signs of arthritis in that knee. I just turned (last week) 49 and I know I am due for orthopedic aches and pains. Both my parents had arthritis. My father, on my 16th birthday, in 1970, sat down for a picnic and couldn't get up--his cartilage tore. Back in those days, he had it repaired by having his whole knee opened up. The results weren't so great and so until his death in 1992, he suffered with his other knee hurting because he refused to have the surgery again to repair it! Too bad he didn't have the arthoscopic option.
WHen you've had your surgeries, have you had epidurals or been awake or what? I can't have any anesthesia in my spine due to my low platelet count so I get twilight sleep which is delightful. No ill effects. I also had a wonderful anestheseologist who kindly put my Walkman music on whle I was sleeping so I'd wake up to the CD I had made so I wouldn;t be nervous!
Caroline