Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Second Surgery More Painful..Why?  (Read 821 times)

Offline hpwinterwolf

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Second Surgery More Painful..Why?
« on: August 09, 2009, 01:53:48 PM »
My first surgery on my knee was 4 years ago. I had a mensicus repair, within 3 days i was walking and by a full week I could get around without crutches, I did so well I didn't need PT after the stitches came out.

I just had my second surgery on the same knee. They went in for Knee Plica removal and a clean up, instead the OS removed a cartilage flap and cleaned out scar tissue. Its been 6 days and I am still not walking as well as I think i should. I have constant cramping in the muscles and it feels like my knee cap is out of place. I don't know if I am over comparing my two surgeries and pushing it, or if something could possibly be wrong. I can't seem to find any information on what was done so I can estimate a recovery time or even what the OS will plan next.

Any advice is welcome, even if its just to tell me not to worry. ;D

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 107
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
Re: Second Surgery More Painful..Why?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 06:37:25 PM »
It would be good to find out if a lateral release was done.
--
KNEEguru

Offline will1129

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 09:37:55 PM »
I'm in almost the same boat as you...had my first surgery five years ago to repair torn cartilage, knee was as good as new in about a month and a half with no pain.

Now, I just had surgery to remove my plica and smooth out scar tissue on the same knee three months ago, and it still hurts now and is not back to 100% yet. My surgeon told me it would take 3-6 months for it to be back to normal with plica surgery, so I guess it will take a while longer. I hope he's right.

Good luck with your recovery, and don't push it too hard with working out before the three-month mark. That set me back a bit in terms of pain.
Deeply regret having knee surgery...hoping it can be fixed.

Offline kateplate

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 11:00:48 AM »
I've ended up having 4 ops in 4 yrs for similar issues. The recovery time and experiences have been totally different for each one! Don't forget that swelling and bruising will impact on joint mobility after an op, and the 'aggressive' approach of one OS may give you better longterm results after initial discomfort and immobility.

Over the years, following my accident, I've been reviewed by 4 OS's. Each has a different approach to treatment and repeated surgeries, but they all agree on 1 thing: it takes at least 6 months for your joint to feel OK again. In addition, my physios have always maintained that once a joint is altered via surgery it will never be entirely the same again and our personal expectations should take that into account.

The 2 ops done on my right knee have worked wonderfully. The jury's still out on the left knee!!

Good luck and take it easy.
Dec '05 RK plm; Dec '06 RK plm&pmm; Sept '07 LK pmm. Jan '09 LK pmm and synovial joint repair / removal of fat pad.
March '09 insertion of spinal cord stimulator for permanent nerve damage in L leg.