Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Skiing post-ACI  (Read 2066 times)

Offline Rennschnecke

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
Skiing post-ACI
« on: August 05, 2009, 11:34:51 PM »
Hi All

I've been scouring this board to try to find out things and it's all been very interesting, reassuring and illuminating.  However, I still have a question at the back of my mind that I cannot work out an answer to.  I am trying to work out how long after ACI to the patella and trochlea ("kissing" lesions) – as well as whether and how – I might get back to skiing at various levels.

I know that some of you have got back to running which I regard as seriously more stressful than skiing, but the stresses are different.  Does anyone have any experiences of (or ideas about) returning to
(i) work as a ski instructor/coach/trainer;
(ii) off-piste skiing;
(iii) competition skiing. 

I hope that somewhere out there is someone who can help with any of these ...

RS

1/05 Ski accident: 5/05 ACLr LK; 10/06 Scope – debridement, trochlear cartilage lesion (Gr4); 12/08 Scope – chondroplasty, hematoma; 5 & 6/09 MACI patella & trochlea 'kissing lesions', ROM 0 to 80; 9/09 Scope – LOA, IPCS & patella infera; 9/10 Scope – AIR & LR.

Offline William_S

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Skiing post-ACI
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2021, 04:11:20 PM »
I have exactly the same question. I had MACI three weeks ago on two “kissing” lesions (patella and trochlea). Prior to requiring suregery I could ski to a very high standard (I’ve been skiing for over 30 years). What are the chances I can get back to the sport I love at the standard I was at? I’m 42 years old and in good shape. Any thoughts/wisdom/advice gratefully received. Rennschnecke, if you’re still active on here it looks from your posts like we had a similar procedure.. Did you get back to skiing? If so, I’d love to hear how it went. Cheers, Will

Offline gaoshanfelix

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Re: Skiing post-ACI
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2022, 09:47:00 PM »
I have exactly the same question. I had MACI three weeks ago on two “kissing” lesions (patella and trochlea). Prior to requiring suregery I could ski to a very high standard (I’ve been skiing for over 30 years). What are the chances I can get back to the sport I love at the standard I was at? I’m 42 years old and in good shape. Any thoughts/wisdom/advice gratefully received. Rennschnecke, if you’re still active on here it looks from your posts like we had a similar procedure.. Did you get back to skiing? If so, I’d love to hear how it went. Cheers, Will

If you check Rennschneckes newer posts - I am pretty shere she never got back to skiing.

So what about you? Will you go skiing next winter (guessing you did not go last winter, or did you?).

I am pretty positive I will ski again - also snowboard. I will have to evaluate about racing/ riding in real race ski boots (race department/RD). For years I have been snowboard only offpiste - and skiing mainly onpiste, that was the best recipe to not have a hurting knee. However I usually skied around 20.000m vertical per day, carving with as much inclination as possible - on FIS GS/SL skis with race department boots - the icier the better. So I am not sure if I will go back to this. I may decide to never ski in Austria anymore (it sucks anyhow) and ski exclusively in Switzerland or other places where natural instead of manmade snow is the norm and good piste grooming vs awful is common. Some skifields like Ischgl or Stubaier Gletscher (for popular stations) have long been on my boycott list - as there grooming is horrible. While skiing it was carving only. My knee didn't like any drifting. So either carve or brake - but nothing else (and the steeper the better). I sadly had to give up snowboard racing/extremecarving many years before as my knee didn't like it anymore.

That way I get less hits from below. Now going back to normal ski boots - that means so much less edge hold - but surely better for the knee. I will have to think about it more.
I'm now 7 months post surgery and kitesurfing slowly becomes okay without pain. But I can only do 40 minutes sessions or so on choppy waters. I think in 1-2 months I would be fine skiing or snowboarding slowly.

I had already decided pre surgery that if everything fails, I just ski one legged. I did some one legged days after ACL surgeries (as soon as 7 weeks post surgery), and yeah that is quite nice too. I want some challenge - and skiing slowly is no challenge. So doing 7-8.000m vert with one ski only per day is quite a good challenge. Did that a couple of times - simply put a snowboard boot on my bad leg. The problem is that this way you aggravate your muscle disbalance so that's a solution for max 1 time per week for me (I used to ski/board around 50-70 days per season). Besides then maybe just switch to skitouring/splitboard touring. I can from time to time enjoy to just "ski" and enjoy the landscape, but for me skiing was also endurance training/muscle training. So all or nothing.

Maybe in 12 months my knee is feeling so good again, that I can restart those things that I stopped? Like funparks, big cliffdrops, boardercross, snowboard racing/extremecarving? Not sure if I can get my mind into doing this again as I do not want to break my knee again - so rather stick to less demanding on my knee styles.

support