Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Frustrated and hurting  (Read 2389 times)

Offline hurtinbad

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Frustrated and hurting
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2009, 10:35:06 PM »
So the big day came and what an outcome. first we find out the bone defect was much larger then they thought 2.0++, so he took bone and cartilage from a non weight bearing bone and added it AND still did a microfacture surgery!!!??? So far 48hrs after and the pain is tolerable (with medicine) also he wanted me on a stationary bike with no resistance within 48 hours and I managed 15 minutes today.he also ordered a cpm machine??? has anyone used it??? do you like or recommend it??? Anyway first follow up is Monday. This procedure was not done by arthroscope so I have so big incisions that also need to heal. No weight bearing for 6-8 weeks is going to be a drag. My wife will probably divorce me by the time this is over.....anyway would love to hear from people with the same sort of stuff and hear how YOUR recovery went. I really want this to work this time. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Offline plantgeek58

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2009, 05:57:16 PM »
Hi Hurtinbad,
I just want to add that you should check with your insurance company to see if they will cover you for an OATS allograft. I'm an active 52-year-old, who was scheduled for one last Sept. until BCBS told me at the very last minute that I didn't qualify because of my age (limit age 50) and the size of my lesion as shown on the MRI. I had to settle instead for MFX. Had I known their requirements ahead of time, I could have requested a hearing to argue my case for the allograft.
RK 7/04 part. m. menisc., plica resect., MF
    3/05 part. m. menisc., open OATS
    1/07 part l. menisc., MF, patellar chondroplasty
    9/08 MF
LK 11/04 & 8/06 part m. menisc.
     7/07 LR, patellar tendon debrid., part m. menisc.

Offline lostandhopeles

• Regular Poster
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2009, 02:41:59 PM »
 Hurtinbad, I had an OATS procedure done to my left knee on may 15,2009. I am not looking to scare you but I just finished 12 1/2 weeks non weight bearing. It was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. I kept thinking that I had so much I needed to do. It seemed like every thing kept breaking down. Lawn mower, backup generator, sump pump. The list goes on. Then you think of the things you want to do and cant. Mentaly it will be tuff on you. When the Dr told me 6 weeks NWB I thought that it would be easy, watch tv play on the internet but they got old quick. I have a wheel chair but was enbarresed go out in public. I also have a walker which I am to use for the next 6 weeks with crutches as an option. The walker seems to keep me from trying to go to fast. As for the CPM I was in one for 6 weeks. No big deal depending on how much time you are in it. I was 4 hours in 4 out for the entire 6 weeks. the hospital would not discharge me until the insurance company authorised one. it took 2 days. Good luck I will check for follow ups. keep me posted

Offline hurtinbad

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2009, 09:57:30 PM »
Lost and hopeless, I appreciate the honest reality of what I might be facing. It is only day 4 and I am already tired of it. A long way to go and I think half the battle will be my mental makeup and how I deal with not being able to do normal stuff. Also plantgeek I think , hopefully that I was all preapproved for this surgery, if they come back at tell me otherwise I will blow a gasket, i am a young 49 and very active prior to this surgery. Lost and Hopeless being NWB for 12 1/2 weeks scares the hell out of me though, I was prepared with my work and my home life for 6 weeks max, I don't know what I will do if it goes longer. lost and hopeless, why and what changed that they had to have you nwb for so much longer? Didi they do anotherMRI and see something? Or just a gut feeling from your doctor?? What are they looking to see as far as progress???

support