Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: ACL, PCL, MCL & LCL all damaged  (Read 2018 times)

Offline salvrdr

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
ACL, PCL, MCL & LCL all damaged
« on: August 04, 2009, 05:07:11 AM »
Looking for some knowledge on my injury. I think I have finally found the right place. Well, here's my story.

I slipped and twisted/landed on my right knee on June 21, 2009. All four ligaments are shot. I've seen three OS and only one is willing to tough my knee. Unfortunately, he says he will only fix the ACL, PCL and possibly MCL. He believes that the MCL may be healing (injury occurred over 6 weeks ago). He says that operating on all four would cause too many complications.

The other surgeons said they couldn't handle this type of injury. My surgery is scheduled for this Thursday, August 6, 2009. The last surgeon I saw (2nd opinion) & he stated I should get referred to another surgeon. I'm confused, frustrated & worried about this matter.

Has anyone had this kind of injury? What was your surgery like? Were all four ligaments repaired at once or were subsequent surgeries required? How was rehab and how long did it last? How long was it before you could walk without crutches and a brace.

Offline jess8181

• Regular Poster
Re: ACL, PCL, MCL & LCL all damaged
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 04:33:56 PM »
Hey Salvrdr

I also tore all 4 and had 3 replaced all in the same operation, the 4th repaired, the prefered method is to do all of them at the same time, that being said there are many here who have had 2 operations, first the cruciates and then the lateral.....honeslty I don't see much difference in terms of recovery either way, but I have never heard of not repairing the lcl....that is a bit strange to me.

Offline NEVERSLEEP

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 09:38:09 PM »
I had my mcl repaired and when i get my leg built up again i will have my acl operation as well as my tibial spine repaired. When i went in for my operation orginally i was told i would get my acl repaired and not my mcl, my surgery was compex and thats why he didnt want both surgeries done at the same time
14-06-09 Fracture of left lateral tibial condyle, small avvision of tibial spine, grade 3 tear of mcl and acl and damage to lateral meniscus
22-06-09 Mcl repair, meniscus repair + 3 screws to repair Tpf
23-09-09 Brace off released to fwb
16-11-09 3 screws and 2 washers out
27-11-09 Infection

Offline pegleg B

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 06:33:22 PM »
Hi Salvrdr,
I had my ACL and PCL reconstructed with allografts and MCL repaired in the same surgery.  I completely tore all three ligaments and my doc advised doing two surgeries - first the recon of the ACL and PCL, then after 6 weeks recovery a second surgery to repair or reconstruct the MCL.  When she went in for the first operation she did the ACL and PCL and then while looking around the knee found that the MCL was cleanly torn at one end, so she just tacked it up to the bone in the hopes that it will repair and tighten up enough to give me stability in the knee to protect the other two repaired ligaments.  She had originally told me that repairing all three ligaments in one surgery could lead to a stiff knee.  She tells me now that there is still a chance of a second surgery, but she is hopeful that one will suffice.  The surgery wasn't too bad - my first surgery so I have nothing to compare to, but next to childbrith, not too bad.  I am now 5 weeks post-surgery and still in a leg brace locked at 0 at all times and on crutches - toe-touch weight bearing only.  I really empathize with you and hope to hear how you are doing as you go through this.  I wish that I had someone who is farther along than me in the same process so that I could have some idea of what to expect and hopefully, something to look forward to.  I am getting discouraged feeling like I will never be active , or maybe never even be well again.  Let me know if you ahve any questions and I will send good thoughts and wishes your way.
B

Offline salvrdr

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 01:00:29 AM »
Thanks Pegleg (I like the name  ;D ) Well, I'm currently walking around with a brace, no crutches or cane. The doctor postponed my surgery due to lack of ROM & told me to work out on a bicycle & lift some weights to strengthen my surrounding muscles. I go back on the 17th of August to see him for a progress check.

I feel frustrated because none of the three OS instructed me to exercise or try to gain ROM. Let's see what happens. Good luck to you too.

Offline pegleg B

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 07:57:06 PM »
Hi salvrdr,
What I am finding out through lots of different sources is that there are many differences of opinion on how to treat multi-ligament injuries.  I had the surgery on all three at one time, which my doc had originally said that she would NOT do because it could lead to stiffness, but ended up doing anyway because of the condition of the MCL ( it was cleanly torn, so she just tacked it up rather than having to reconstruct).  I had a reply from and orthopedic doc on another forum who tells me that he would not have fixed all of my ligaments, but only the ACL.  He says that he beleives in bracing or casting the leg before surgery to let whatever healing can happen take place, and then fixes the ACL with surgery and does rehab for ROM.  He says that surgery like mine will lead to a stiff knee and make it unlikely that I can return to my previous sports.  The first doc that I saw for my injury seemed to be going in that direction with me also, saying it was not certain that I would need surgery and he wanted to see how I healed first.  My friend who is a PT was horrified and strongly suggested that I find another dos - her feeling was that I would not be able to  do much of any activity with no repairs.  So who knows what is right?  I am following the doc and PT to the letter and progressing very slowly.  At this point, I just want to be functional and mobile again, so I am trying to hold off on thinking or worrying about what I will be able to do some day and just trying to make the next goal in my rehab.  Either way you go, don't worry too much about what is the most "right" treatment - there are definitely different schools of thought. 
Hang in there and good luck.