Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: POST OP /FRACTURED KNEE /ACL RECONSTRUCTION  (Read 8523 times)

Offline kingofleon

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
POST OP /FRACTURED KNEE /ACL RECONSTRUCTION
« on: August 02, 2009, 11:04:37 AM »
Hello knee people

i managed to fracture my knee in 2 places 3months ago  ...... it hurt really bad ..... down hill free riding on my mountain bike ...... 1month into healing and with the help from physio i was looking forward to getting back on my bike within 6 to 8 weeks ...then i had my mri i had torn my acl gutted..i did not no noting about acl until i started to read and look up on the knee it self and all the parts that come with it..... all i can say.. i was really gutted.....  have the op and then no more sports from 6 months to a year .now 3months in and waiting for the op i am over the first bit i have got to terms of what has happened and doing 1 hr of physio every day and going to hospital once a week getting physio and getting checked up ..i am walking around with a minor limp... my left leg is stronger but i can feel a stiffness and the knee gives way every so often that's the acl  ...... its going to be a tough year ahead but i am a positive person....time flys just got to  get on with life for the time being .....positive thinking....whoop whoop
i will be ringing the hospital on monday to find out if i can find out my op date or if iam on the cancelation list  at this moment in time i want the op so i can get on with getting fit again  will keep you all updated weekly

paul
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 05:33:32 PM by kingofleon »

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
Re: post op
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 04:56:07 PM »
Hi There,

Welcome to KG you have found the right place to discuss your knee problems, you cant avoid accidents and sometimes you come worse off then anticipated and just have to go through the trauma of pain and surgery to get the knee right again. A fracture to the knee in 2 places must be very painful along with an ACL tear that take time to heal after surgery but should be able to cycle again after some physio and a few months of healing.

Are you from the UK and have to rely on the NHS as it seem to take ages to get anywhere with a knee problem as I found out when they finally decided my knee injury wont get better with out surgery nearly 2 years after my fall onto pavement. Since then can no longer run or walk fast and feel pain and catching inside the knee. I am surprised you have to wait 3 months plus for surgery as my OS wanted to scope my knee in September and saw him on 30th June but prosponed it to October due to work commitments. If you have torn your ACL you should have surgery ASAP rather then wait 3 months plus which is so wrong. My Sister is an orthopaedic nurse and she told me should have surgery done within 18 weeks after seeing the OS and no longer.

Remain positive about it as you are doing and everything will come right for you in the end it just takes time to get there.

Good luck in gettiing an earlier surgery date.

Nick  :) {2009} :)

RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline kingofleon

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 06:51:49 PM »

17/08/09

i am now on my 14th week still doing the physio 1 hour a day and feeling good iam reading more diary posts on pre op physio on how people are coping and i am glad i am not the only one.....so rang the hospital today like i do every monday ...have i got a date no.... just a month still October i am getting to a point ...i get a little frustrated as all i want to know is a date .......as for my my knee it feels better a lot stronger than it was thanks to the pyshio  but still have a mild ache  and that it still gives way time to time tahats the acl  ..but  i can walk a lot better than i did 3 weeks ago.....  i goin to do a utube vid on what i do on pyhsio soon.... helps with the boredom hopefully help other people to .... :)cheers all 
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 09:58:06 PM by kingofleon »

Offline kingofleon

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 10:05:59 PM »

19/08/09

went pt today ......was doing my phsyio night before  and over done it on the trampoline  was trying to run .... rather silly ....i got a sharp pain on my knee  my pt trainer told me to slow down and bring it down a level so i did ...easy does it ... am fine today but have gone back to ice packing the knee which i started  4 days ago damnit feels good  ....

Offline kingofleon

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: 91 days
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 09:39:31 AM »

31/08/09

hi knee people

i just looked on my calender ...wow 91 days since i had my mountain bike accident ....and still no op date to fix acl and other bits of the knee...
still up beat about things as i a can walk alot better but still being carefull and still doing physio ,have calmed down a bit on the workout side of things ,having the weekends of as i was feeling i was over doing it a bit, as my  work kinda helps me out alot with the leg and knee work...but october is the month hopefully just waiting for that letter to come .....

paul

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 07:16:57 PM »
Hi Paul,

You sound like me overdoing it with your knee buts its hard to accept we cannot do certain things anymore without feeling knee pain and discomfort. You did not really go on a trampoline as its the worse thing you can do if you have a knee injury and there no point in trying to run as I done the same and just cannot run and also feel sharp pain inside the knee. I tried running a few days ago but just cant so no point in trying to as its not going to happen.

Do not run or go on a trampoline until your OS says its ok a few weeks after your surgery as you could make your knee worse. I cant talk as I known to overdo it at the gym with my knee problem but its hard to take things easy as you are finding out and just want to be able to do certain things without feeling knee pain.

Funny you are still waiting for your surgery date and letter from the hospital as I am also waiting for a date in October so should get a letter this month. I saw my OS 30th June 2009 and should hear back soon when I get a surgery date.

Nick :) {2009} :)
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair

Offline kingofleon

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 06:11:29 PM »

11/09/09

15th october is my op date hooray and thank f..k for that ......thats my birthday but i dont mind iam ready for the cutting
           and the drilling happy as larry whoop whoop keep up the physio people  :) ;D :D ;)

Offline kingofleon

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2009, 06:01:21 PM »
                                                                            12/09/09

as you can tell from my last reading i am very happy about my op date , i am glad at last i can prepare things and sort my work out
           ... its a good feeling  ....... i have a pre post check up on the 28th sept  at     

hospital ,  ready for my op date on the 15th of october  ........  all i can say to people who have the same problem as me do your   

physio daily it helps alot after the op....   i will not go on line now until my pre  op date  then after that i will do a daily diary and tell       
           you guys  how it feels and drugs i am taking ......def the pain from 1 to 10  ;)
            how i am coping and how much pain

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2009, 11:56:18 AM »
Hi Paul.

Well done in getting a surgery date on your Birthday but will be the best present you will get that day if your OS can sort out your knee problem it will be worth it. I am still waiting for my surgery date and also ment to be next month in october. Its important to do physio after your surgery as your muscle become weak and need building up again.

Offline kingofleon

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2009, 04:47:55 PM »
Cheers clarkey

hopefully everything will go well.... hope you get your date sooner than later....  i have my pre op tommro  ie blood tests .urine samples  fittness level  should be all fine all i hope is my op dont get canceled

tis all good

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2009, 07:44:23 PM »
Hi Paul,

How did your pre op appointment go yesterday? I have still not got a letter from the hospital but in no great rush as I am still fairly busy at work in October so November or December would suit me better. I dont think your surgery will be cancelled I think you cant have a high temperature when having surgery but could wrong so dont take my word. Not too long now till your surgery date and Birthday.

Offline kingofleon

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2009, 09:32:42 PM »

29/09/09                                           

so i went to my pre assessment Monday  ...i was told i would be  there 3 to 4 hours ..... they were right .... i arrived at 8 .45 at the 
    hospital  ... i was seen straight away by a nurse ..... was asked certain question's about my health....fit of course .... weighed  12.10.....
  the nurse wiped dyes on my arm to see if it would irritate me in any way for the op me thinks .... it didn't..... next i was taken to a bed  another nurse came in asked me more personal questions........ took my blood pressure.....and asked me how i am coping told her the norm limping as normal  the knee hurts when i work it etc etc ......then i waited ....not long Mr Wilson my surgeon was coming to see me or his right hand man.....
it was his right hand man cant remember his name but he was very nice man  .....so he asked me more question's looked at my knee pulled it about a bit ...its not nice seeing 1 part of your leg kinda separating from your knee ...... i asked him some questions like how long will i be of work......  i said to him i would like to get back within 4 to 6 weeks..... he said 12 weeks to 3 months ....hum......it depends how fit you are and again and doing your physio ....like i say your health is so important so i will see week to week how i get on ...... so once i finished with the right hand man  i had a blood test that was the longest i waited   20 min i reckon .... i was out of the hospital by 12  ....so next time i go in i am having my ACL and what ever else they find in my left knee operation whoop whoop

kind regrds to all the kneegeeks

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2009, 07:10:27 PM »
Hi Paul,

I hope your surgery went ok for you today and had no complications, did your OS find any other problems while he was inside the knee apart from the ACL repair. Happy Birthday as well I suppose you will be feeling too tired to go out tonight to celebrate your Bithday and having your knee surgery done. If you dont feel up to celebrating tonight you got friday and the weekend to make up for it.

I am sure you feeling the after affects of your surgery and knee is feeling sore and is swollen but at least the surgery side is over and now can concentrate on doing some physio.

Offline kingofleon

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: post op plus pre op
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2009, 10:44:38 PM »
15/10/09

my birthday .... op went well i was high all day so my feelings were very weird did not compute....

16/10/09

so feeling a a lot better today  the drugs have worn of so i am aching all round the knee area and feeling very sore  ..

Mr wilson my surgeon told me it went really well.... i had a small tear on my cartliage which was causeing loads of problems  for me post op ...the acl reconstruction went well ....my physio matt came to see me on my hospital bed about 12 midday today  he made me walk on my cructhes  25 percent on my left leg and walk up and down stairs ,matt made me bend my leg 90 degrees painfull but i could do it  5 reps 4 times a day..... and 5 reps leg straighteninng  4 times a day .... regular icing on the knee to get the swelling down as well... i was discharged at 3pm this afternoon my physio told me to do all this for the next 6 weeks  well thats today lets see how i am tommro

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2009, 11:15:01 AM »
Hi Paul,

Pleased your surgery went ok and Mr Wilson took a good look inside the knee and saw a torn cartliage even though it was a small tear its good he repaired it for you and reconstructed your acl. You had to spend one night in Hospital but I suppose its routine after repair of your acl and was in good hands for the 1st 24 hours after your surgery.

Its good that Matt is already starting PT as its so important to go through it otherwise your leg muscles go to waste. How long was you in theatre for as I can imagine it would take some time to do acl reconstruction.

Just ice the knee and carry on doing PT and you should recover well from the surgery.

I would ask Sheila the Owner of KG to move your thread to the other post up diary 100 posts section above this one as you will get more posts back on that section then this section thats for longer diaries. Send her a personal message just click on kneeguru and she will be happy to move it as she has done with my diary.